1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 f1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49 f1 upgrade

I'm getting ready to install a 351w engine and the automatic tranny from a 91 F150 into my 49 F1 pickup. I want to go with the fuel injection as well. Can anyone tell me what kind of problems I'm going to find when I get started. The F1 already has an old 289 in it with a 2 speed powerglide. I am planning on keeping the straight axle in the front. This truck is gonna be used as a daily driver again.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you've got a neat little project on your hands.

Your 289 motor mounts should be the same for the Windsor, but obviously your trans mount is going to take a bit of rework. It'll be worth it, though, to have 4 gears instead of two. With the taller deck height, your exhaust may take a slight bit of reengineering, too.

If you're familiar with fuel injection at all, you know all about the wiring and sensors and fuel pressure issues, but beyond that, it's just a matter of figuring out where everything is going to fit best in your truck.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress. There's plenty of folks here that would be very interested in seeing how it all works.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Welcome to the board

It does sounds like a fun project and should make a nice driver when done. Sometimes with Ford small blocks there might be oil pan issues with the front axle. Since your donor is coming out of a truck I think it might already have a rear sump pan.
You might want to think about the fuel system. For the fuel injection you'll need addtional fuel lines for the vapor and return. It shouldn't be too tough to retrofit the original tank, or there are several options for late model tanks. The late model full sized Bronco tank might fit your situation well as you should be able to get one from a fuel injected truck.

Good luck with it
Bobby

Old 12-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
That's what I was hoping to hear. This was my 1st pickup. I bought it 25 years ago but didnt have the money or the knowledge to do anything with it. It sat in the quonset until now. Now I need the snow to dissapear and spring to come so I can start. I just did a chevy swap into a Jeep. Luckily my neighbor is a mechanic by trade and wants to help on this project as well. I was worried about the fuel tank and fuel pump. The fuel lines will need to be ran with a larger size but that is expected. Does the fuel pump need to be installed in the tank or can you use a inline pump.
The other thing I'm worried about is the dash. I'm thinking of using one out of a bronco ll. Any other suggestions.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Fuel pump can be either tank or frame mounted. Whatever works best for your application.

I don't know why you'd be worried about the dash. The stock dash is cool, imho. If you are concerned about the gauges, the originals can be converted using modern guts, or you can run any aftermarket gauges either built into or in a mounting bezel under the dash.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Well thats good to hear. I like the old guages, I didnt think I could use them again. The old owner hacked the dash a bit to put in some kind of stereo so I know I have that to rebuild but the rest is good. Will the speedometer work or will it need redone? In a nutshell I want the truck to look stock when its done and I'm not really keen on the aftermarket guages you bolt under the dash. However, some of the things I do want to change are: adding Power steering, front disc brakes, tilt steering column with cruise (if possible). These will be some of the questions I will be asking as it gets closer to build time.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I am using a '95 351W EFI and was given this site for reference. It is full of some great info. It does seem to lean towards 5.0EFI but it still opens your eyes a bit to EFI. www.fordfuelinjection.com
I haven't started to do any wiring up yet, but I keep doing the research to help me out later.
Jeff

Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Didn't notice you were new to the site! Not enough coffee yet!
So welcome to FTE!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
On the fuelpumps, you can mount just about anywhere, just keep in mind that you'llneed a fuel pump that meets the requirements of the fuel injection. If you're trying to stay all Ford, then the late model Bronco tank with the fuel pump in it mightbe the way to go.
As far as gauges go, keep in mind that the easiest thing to do is to math the gauges with the fuel sender; Ford to Ford, GM to GM, etc so that they will work.

Here's a link to may gallery where I retrofitted a late model GM van instrument cluster to my 49's instrument cluster;
1949 Ford F1 4x2 - Tightwad Cluster
I'm running a 500ci Caddy engine, a full sized Chevy Blazer fuel tank adn GM gauges. My dash was also hacked up by a previous owner, it lookedl ike he used a combination of a cutting torch and a church key to make a radio opening. I have a temporary cover in place; a speaker grill from a mid 60's Pontiac rear seat

Bobby

Old 12-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
At least you have a cover. I just have a big hole. I think he used a grinder and a chisel by the looks of it. Any one know of a steering column I could use. The other thing they tried was to put one of those small custom wheels on the column. Not the best for manual steering to begin with but it looks to me like the spine pattern was wrong so they just beat it on and tightened the nut. Now when you reach the end of the turn the wheel just keeps on turning. If I can install something with tilt steering, without to much grief, life would be cool. I see the clip about the 86 bronco ll column installed. How was that to rig up.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you are going to re-use as much as possible from the '91 F-150 donor and keep the stock tank, then your fuel system could be easier than you think. Those trucks used a low pressure lift pump in the tank and a high pressure pump inline along the frame rail. Since the high pressure pump would be gravity fed from the original outlet on the tank, no lift pump would be necessary. All you would need to do is re-use the high pressure pump and add a return line.

The transmission behind that 351W is more than likely the E4OD electronic 4-speed automatic. The E4OD is Ford's heavy duty automatic from that era. It will certainly work, but it's a big, heavy brute. Making room to stuff it in may be one of your larger challenges. It may be necessary to do a little firewall and floor pan work to make enough clearance. The original transmission crossmember will have to go, but it may be gone already with the existing tranny. Just make sure that whatever transmission crossmember you install braces the top and botton of the frame rails to keep them parallel like the original did.

The other challenge you will run into is salvaging the engine and computer wiring. On those trucks, the engine and computer harness is integral with the rest of the underhood harness. You'll need to disassemble the harness and separate the computer wiring from the rest of the junk for the lights, horn, wipers, etc. I've done this a couple times. It's a time consuming task but it really isn't all that difficult. Get a good wiring schematic for the '91 that calls out the wire colors and start carefully pruning out everything that you don't need. It will most certainly be much less expensive to do it this way than to buy a new harness. The added benefit is that when you're done, you'll have a fairly intimate knowledge of the EFI system and how it's wired.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM
mathew21
Junior User
Welcome to FTE. It sounds like you have a great project on your hands. I eventually want to go with a efi motor so I will be subscribing to this thread. Please keep us posted progress.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
The mention of the tranny and having to cut the firewall has me a little bothered. I can weld and fab but was really hoping not to have to do that. If it needs done it will get done but is there another tranny that can be used in its place or does this open up a new world of confusion with using the wiring and computer from the 91. I'm not really up to speed on these electronic trannys and if they can just be switched out or if that will cause the computer to not work right.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
ever think of using a jag ifs? it will have r&p steering & disc brakes
& it is an easy install--talk to jeff

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
I have considered the IFS swap and may pursue it. As of right now though I'm not really opposed to the old straight axle. I know the ride would be way better but I drive a Jeep YJ and they don't get much rougher than that so it's not a real issue right now. I'm more interested in installing power steering and disc brakes first. After all it's a truck. When I start on my 53 chevy I will be looking for ideas for a smoother ride for sure. The other problem is front ends are expensive here in Canada.

Quick Reply: 49 f1 upgrade