Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Senior User

Victor L is starting off with a positive reputation.
You probably do not need the tee. It is pretty much a fix for vehicles that
have problems with cavitating water pumps.
Once your heater is out, you can take off the plastic inlet box that the heater attached to, and vacuum out any leaves.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Junior User

forager is starting off with a positive reputation.
1968 F250 Heater/Condensation problems

Before I had a chance to start the job, I noted that the "new" heater core was cracked. I had to return it. I'm on hold for a day while the part is ordered.

A couple of questions:

1-Any recommendations for cleaning up the antifreeze that soaked the carpeted interior, Re: specific cleansers, etc.? In other threads I've read that the stuff continues to eat metals/materials after drying.

2-As a safety precaution, should I disconnect the negative cable on the battery before starting? One of the instructions in the Chilton manual is "Disconnect the electrical wires at the connector". (According to the book, this is done while the detached heater is resting on the cab floor.) Disconnecting the negative cable on the battery isn't mentioned in the Chilton manual, Re: replacing the heater core, or mentioned in the various threads I've read on the heater core; but I've read elsewhere that it is a good practice. Is it necessary for this job?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Junior User

1968 F250 Heater/condensation problems

I got another heater core from O'Reilly; it's a Murray.

They also sold me some amber antifreeze. When I drained the radiator, however, the antifreeze was green. I cannot find any references to amber antifreeze in older Ford trucks. Is it recommended for use in older Ford trucks?
Here is a color chart put out by Zerex: http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/ima...-%20Z-1217.pdf

Also, one of the contributors to this thread recommended my bypassing the heater core when I flush the cooling system--that is, run the the two heater hoses together, protecting the new heater core from the sludge, etc. Does the heater system itself get dirty enough to cause a problem? If so, how would I clean it? Is bypassing the heater core during the flushing process a precaution or a requirement? Initially, I had planned on flushing until the liquid was clear.

I'm installing the heater core tomorrow (Monday). I'll post how it went. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Postmaster

crazed87bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
i'm not positive on this but i run a 50/50 premixed antifreeze water mixture in all my cars i think the amber color is just either a manufactures color choice to dye the coolant or stands for a certain percentage. someone correct me if i'm wrong. alot of people don't bypass the heater when flushing it is not a requirement just a precaution but since you have the hoses off already why not just do it.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Junior User

1968 F250 Heater/condensation problems

I made some progress before it got too dark to continue: cooling system flushed, while bypassing the heater; unbolted everything, removed the old heater core, which didn't look particularly bad--certainly not anything like the corroded ones I've seen online--cleaned up the casing after unscrewing its numerous bolts; installed the new heater core, bolted up the casing...and...hmmm.

Actually, I bolted up the casing 3 times because, in each instance, I forgot to include something in the casing: first, the metal retainer clip, second, the rubber retainer block that sets on the heater core and presses against the casing; and third, the rubber grommet of the fresh air vent. I felt like a goof after all that.

Finally, I slid the heater assembly back underneath the dash, sticking the posts and tubes through the appropriate holes on the firewall, and bolted it tight.

Concerns: the heater core pipes are set at a slight angle, not quite squarely protruding through the holes. I tried loosening the bolts at the firewall a little and then jostling the heater assembly a little from the inside; but I could not improve the position. The hoses should fit on them easily, and the heater core feels rock solid. Still, I would have liked them straight.

I also want to double-check the appropriateness of the amber antifreeze I purchased, as opposed to the green antifreeze that was in the system.

Finally, I need to figure out how to re-attach the other side of the fresh air grommet to the plastic vent, which is bolted to the side of the cab. It's in a very tight area, especially on the back and side.

A couple of more things to tighten down and then refill the system. I'll post how it came out tomorrow. All comments are appreciated.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Junior User

heater core installation

Thanks to all. I finished everything yesterday.
If there are any other newbie lurkers out there afraid to take on a repair, just do it. If I can, anyone can.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Senior User

hotrodfordpickup is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile way to go

Way to go you can get any help you need at FTE..there are lots of smart ford truck guys(and gals) in here..now for you next project...lol...bill
Old 08-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Senior User

quinletc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turns out my 72 also needs a new heater core - the list keeps growing. But this does look like a simple and inexpensive job I can do myself.

Question regarding the recommendations to flush the coolant system. Does this really need to be done every couple of years? I am pretty new to older vehicles - helped my dad some on his 82 F-150, but that was years ago and we didn't do anything too complicated. But on my current production cars, I don't know that I have EVER flushed the radiator. So, I guess it's a two-part question - how often on older trucks, and should I be doing the same on modern trucks.

Also, is there any danger to animals or small children just running a hose through a radiator? I've always believed that propylene glycol was tasty to dogs and cats and would kill them in a fairly painful way.
1979 F-150 4x2 SuperCab 400
1972 F-250 4x2 Regular Cab 360 (current)
Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Postmaster

crazed87bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinletc View Post
Turns out my 72 also needs a new heater core - the list keeps growing. But this does look like a simple and inexpensive job I can do myself.

Question regarding the recommendations to flush the coolant system. Does this really need to be done every couple of years? I am pretty new to older vehicles - helped my dad some on his 82 F-150, but that was years ago and we didn't do anything too complicated. But on my current production cars, I don't know that I have EVER flushed the radiator. So, I guess it's a two-part question - how often on older trucks, and should I be doing the same on modern trucks.

Also, is there any danger to animals or small children just running a hose through a radiator? I've always believed that propylene glycol was tasty to dogs and cats and would kill them in a fairly painful way.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco View Post
Didn't really answer any questions...
Old 08-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Postmaster

JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:

It is indeed a good idea to change green coolant every 2-3 years. Depending on where a vehicle is and how many miles get put on it. Here in Phoenix I'd say 2 years. Cooler climates like TN I'd say 3 IMHO. The coolant actually acts like a lubricant to a certain degree. Especially on aluminum intakes etc. The coolant breaks down and then doesn't work right.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA View Post
It is indeed a good idea to change green coolant every 2-3 years. Depending on where a vehicle is and how many miles get put on it. Here in Phoenix I'd say 2 years. Cooler climates like TN I'd say 3 IMHO. The coolant actually acts like a lubricant to a certain degree. Especially on aluminum intakes etc. The coolant breaks down and then doesn't work right.
Good to know. Thanks!

How about disposal? Do you just let it run into the storm sewer with lots of water to dilute? That doesn't seem like it would be the way to go, but maybe it is.

So the newer DEX coolant lasts longer?

Anyone use a "universal" coolant like the one Prestone makes?
Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Postmaster

JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Good to know. Thanks!

How about disposal? Do you just let it run into the storm sewer with lots of water to dilute? That doesn't seem like it would be the way to go, but maybe it is.

So the newer DEX coolant lasts longer?

Anyone use a "universal" coolant like the one Prestone makes?
I would never admit putting something like coolant down a storm sewer on the internet. Do you have a recycle center in your area for coolant,oils,etc.? Dex does last longer but I wouldn't use it. Your whole cooling system would have to be perfectly flushed. Green and Dex DO NOT MIX.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1968, 69, bezel, case, condenstaion, core, f100, f250, ford, heater, housings, locate, problems, removal, truck