1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Buying your pickup from pictures only

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got my 56 on Ebay for right at 1000. The guy said it had very light surface rust and title.Well the rust was so bad that the only part of the entire truck I still have is the cab. On which I,ve replaced the rear inner and outer corners, front floor pans and firewall. Never did see the title. Ended up buying another 56 for the title and frame. If I had it to do again if I can,t go see it myself or somebody I trust to look at it I wouldn,t purchase off of Ebay or any other source using pictures only.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought one vehicle on ebay and did not get to see it. The exterior was as the pictures showed. The problem showed up when I got it up on a lift. The frame and body mounts were in real bad shape. I still haven't figured out how the body can be so good and the bottom so bad.
I bought another one off of CL. I ended up paying an inspection co to go look at it for me. They only charged me $250. The man took about 30 pictures and got under it as well. He went all over it with a magnet to check for bondo. Then he called me while he was still there so I could ask any questions. He was able to tell me all about it. I bought it and when it showed up it was exactly what I was expecting. A real good one at a great price. The money I spent for a inspection was well worth it and cheaper than a plane ticket.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:58 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I bought my daughter's College car - an older Volvo - off of an internet site from a dealer in Alabama. They had a mountain of pictures on-line & I spoke to them numerous times. I paid $18K for it & hoped for the best - It arrived on a delivery truck & was exactly what we expected. It was kind of scary to wire that money
based on pictures - but I did a lot of homework on the dealer & vehicle ahead of time.
Listen to your inner radar - you can tell if something isn't right.

When you buy an old vehicle like these trucks - you just expect to have a lot of work to do. I bought mine off of CL locally here in Austin - Paid $6k & we are still replacing or upgrading or reconditioning most everything on it.

Ben in Austin

Old 12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
leverhead
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased mine from ebay motors and had it shipped. Looked at lots of pics and made a decision to buy without inspection. But I was looking at a semi-project truck in decent shape (a driver, running, minimal rust, all panels intact, salvagable items) and in a certain (lower) price point. I knew the risks and it has worked out OK.... I knew I would tear it down anyway. Sure I found unexpected things but I expected that and was willing to work with it. Now if I was at a higher price point and was spending a lot to buy a finished truck I would go check it out or have it inspected by a 3rd party. The behavior and knowledge of the seller says a lot about the vehicle and how I would handle it also. Regards.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:01 PM
49m47
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by dongc1
I bought one vehicle on ebay and did not get to see it. The exterior was as the pictures showed. The problem showed up when I got it up on a lift. The frame and body mounts were in real bad shape. I still haven't figured out how the body can be so good and the bottom so bad.
I bought another one off of CL. I ended up paying an inspection co to go look at it for me. They only charged me $250. The man took about 30 pictures and got under it as well. He went all over it with a magnet to check for bondo. Then he called me while he was still there so I could ask any questions. He was able to tell me all about it. I bought it and when it showed up it was exactly what I was expecting. A real good one at a great price. The money I spent for a inspection was well worth it and cheaper than a plane ticket.
Dongc1
I was looking at your gallery, Nice 49'. I noticed yours did not have running lights. I guess thats what they are called. Was that by choice or did it not come with them. My 49' Merc has them. I'm just trying to learn and asking the only way I know how. Thanks

Old 12-05-2010, 07:25 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by leverhead
I purchased mine from ebay motors and had it shipped. Looked at lots of pics and made a decision to buy without inspection. But I was looking at a semi-project truck in decent shape (a driver, running, minimal rust, all panels intact, salvagable items) and in a certain (lower) price point. I knew the risks and it has worked out OK.... I knew I would tear it down anyway. Sure I found unexpected things but I expected that and was willing to work with it. Now if I was at a higher price point and was spending a lot to buy a finished truck I would go check it out or have it inspected by a 3rd party. The behavior and knowledge of the seller says a lot about the vehicle and how I would handle it also. Regards.
I had a similar experience. Bought my '50 F-1 from Ebay without inspecting it in person. I was looking for something unrestored but in fairly decent shape and after looking locally in New England & New York for a year or so, decided I'd probably have to look out west to get what I wanted. Since I figured I wasn't going to be able to check it out before I bought it, I set a limit on how much I was willing to bid and dropped out of several auctions when they went over. The truck I finally bought was pretty much as advertised and I'm happy with my purchase. However, based on some of the stories I've heard, I think I may have just been lucky and probably wouldn't do it that way again. Now that I 'm on FTE I'd probably follow Julie's suggestion and ask another FTE member nearby to check it out or pay for an inspection like Dongc1 did. It's a real gamble to do it the way I did.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 PM
e william
Elder User
I bought mine off ebay, called owner to ask questions, flew from SC to VA. and drove it back 7 hrs.
I think you have to exspect the worst case senario....and if you still want the vehicle with that in mind then anything better is a bonus.
I have owned mine 6 yrs. now, done a rework on it and have no regrets.
Ed

Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 49m47
Dongc1
I was looking at your gallery, Nice 49'. I noticed yours did not have running lights. I guess thats what they are called. Was that by choice or did it not come with them. My 49' Merc has them. I'm just trying to learn and asking the only way I know how. Thanks
The F1 Ford trucks have the Parking lights at the ends of the top bar in the grill. I changed the sockets, so I have parking lights and turn signals in them.