Sponsored by: Moser

302 Heater Hose Routing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Rick_Fury
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 Heater Hose Routing

I just replaced the homemade alternator bracket (redneck engineering courtesy of the previous owner) that came on my truck with original Ford parts I snagged from the junkyard. I got the correct brackets from the same truck and year as mine, 1979 302 with A/C. The alternator is hooked up correctly and ready to go, but how exactly are the two heater hoses supposed to be routed?

First, does it matter what hose goes from the heater core to the water pump, or intake manifold?

Second, does the heater hose that connects to the water pump supposed to lay across the top of the alternator? It seems the heater hose would rub on the alternator, and that can't be good on the hose, but I don't see any other way to route it.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Water pump to the bottom/lower heater core end protruding from the firewall. The other on top and to the 90-degree nipple on the intake manifold.

There's no harm in shortening a hose if you feel it is too long. Personally, I believe it looks best with a gentle arc without the hoses laying on or going over the right valve cover.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Rick_Fury
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Water pump to the bottom/lower heater core end protruding from the firewall. The other on top and to the 90-degree nipple on the intake manifold.
What are you talking about? Mine has the two hose connections at the heater core side by side.

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
There's no harm in shortening a hose if you feel it is too long. Personally, I believe it looks best with a gentle arc without the hoses laying on or going over the right valve cover.
Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question. What about the heater hose that connects to the water pump?

Does the heater hose that connects to the water pump supposed to lay across the top of the alternator? It seems the heater hose would rub on the alternator, and that can't be good on the hose, but I don't see any other way to route it.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Nathan Plemons
Elder User
Here is what it looks like on my '74 302 without AC. The lower hose does just lay across the top of the alternator and you can see the previous owner (or somebody) had put a piece of hose between the two to keep it from rubbing through. When I took a lot of this stuff apart to clean it up I removed that "insulator." It looked tacky and I really couldn't tell that it was worn at all. I resolved to simply keep an eye on the hose and make sure it doesn't start to wear through. So far I can't tell any adverse affects.

Not sure if this is how it was supposed to be exactly, but this is how it was on mine anyway. Hope it helps.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:11 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's some pic of my 77 with 302 and factory A/C.

This one shows a close up of the little hose that runs from the thermostat housing to the water pump.

This one shows the three hoses, top intake manifold fitting runs over the heater core, intake manifold fitting in the thermostat housing runs right down to the top fitting on the water pump, and the bottom fitting on the water pump runs over to the other fitting on the heater core.

I hope that helps.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Rick_Fury
Senior User
Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was looking for. The pictures really help!

I was concerned about the heater hose chaffing on the alternator, and then the sudden bend over the alternator where it connects to the water pump. It seems that Ford did it that way, so that is good enough for me!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Tha Ray
New User
OK i have the same prob i hooked my heater core right to the two spouts on the water pump and i have the spout on the thermostat houseing plugged this wont cause any problems will untill i can fix it

Old 11-20-2011, 01:51 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Tha Ray
OK i have the same prob i hooked my heater core right to the two spouts on the water pump and i have the spout on the thermostat houseing plugged this wont cause any problems will untill i can fix it
Instead of dead-ending, it's better if you simply loop the output of the water pump to the manifold fitting.

About the posts above, the hoses are too long IMO. A shorter hose would not let the hose rest on the alternator.