Everyone keeps telling me to get rid of the 6.0 Ex

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 PM
shizzu
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone keeps telling me to get rid of the 6.0 Ex

I am torn.

I have been having such bad luck with all my vehicle lately.

I have a 2005 limited ex 6.0 There's another thread about the coolant issues and ultimately I have finally received word its the head gaskets. When the work is all done it will have new oil cooler, bulletproof EGR cooler, and ARP head studs.

I called a machine shop in my area yesterday to inquire about having them put hardened valve seats in similar to the process that bulletproofdiesel outlines in there Sept. article of some 4x4 mag. And the machine shop told me they made the decision a long time ago not to work on that engine that it was just a bad apple and you were looking for trouble by touching one.

95% of people are counseling me to get rid of this vehicle, because of the engine. I don't want to, and I am thinking after all these things have been fixed I should be in a good spot.

Whats the forum's thoughts?

Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by shizzu
I am torn.

I have a 2005 limited ex 6.0 There's another thread about the coolant issues and ultimately I have finally received word its the head gaskets. When the work is all done it will have new oil cooler, bulletproof EGR cooler, and ARP head studs.

I called a machine shop in my area yesterday to inquire about having them put hardened valve seats in similar to the process that bulletproofdiesel outlines in there Sept. article of some 4x4 mag. And the machine shop told me they made the decision a long time ago not to work on that engine that it was just a bad apple and you were looking for trouble by touching one.

95% of people are counseling me to get rid of this vehicle, because of the engine. I don't want to, and I am thinking after all these things have been fixed I should be in a good spot.

If you like the truck and have the funds to repair it correctly than I'd just fix it right! Fixing it right is expensive though! I did an external oil cooler, head studs and the bulletproof egr cooler. I also replaced the radiator at that same time to eliminate any potential cooling system issues.

Guys who already own a 6.0 Diesel I would never say just sell it, but for those guys who are thinking about purchasing one I always wonder why? I would never buy another one ever again but I did fix the one I have now! If you go with the external oil cooler and the bulletproof egr cooler you don't even need a coolant filtration system at all! The openings in the oil and egr coolers are way larger than the OEM crap! ECT & EOT temp differential is not even an issue with the external oil cooler too! It doesn't even matter, it's not indicative of anything but a temperature! Even if the differential temp gets up there it means nothing is failing like the stock setup!!!! I love my new setup, it's sweet!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:04 PM
hkaiser83
Senior User
Sounds like you are about to finally fix the major problem areas of the 6.0 THEN sell it? That makes absolutely no sense. You're about to make it about as bulletproof as it gets so you should hang on to it! I LOVE my 6.0 and have a good amount invested in mine as well. I am proactively going to get the head studs done. Yeah I could sell it and go buy a 7.3 or a V10 but I love everything about the 6.0 and I also love the fact that I tamed it. You know? Having that which everyone trashes constantly but we have it and we have tamed the beast! I love that!

Long story short, you would be making a big mistake by selling it. They all have problems in one way or another so don't step away from yours just as you are about to do that. The 7.3 is a weak engine and the transmission blows up whenever it can. The V10 will give you a headache if it ever decides to start puking up spark plugs. Just trying to say that they all have issues which you will have to deal with. So take your pick!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM
robd827
Junior User
Agree makes no sense to pay for all the fixes and them sell her. I have low miles 58k but have already done coolant filter and Egr/oil cooler is next. I think it's a great truck and all older things have some issues. You can't replace your Ex so I'd be psyched that it's all fixed when u are done. I wish you the best, I hope mine lasts 200k miles now too!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
+2 ^^^^

Once you fix the oil/egr cooler and have studs there shouldn't be
anything left to worry about engine wise?

I'm about to go down the oil/egr cooler "upgrade" route myself.

On my '97 Tahoe (sold it 2 months ago for my Ex)
I had head gaskets go (twice), new trans, complete rear, front suspension, etc. each time it was an "investment" it lasted 14 years w/195k.

The wife didn't like the ride or seats in the Tahoe, she likes the Ex better.
It has more room for the family & EVERYTHING else. She's liking the Ex
more and more. She's even impressed with the fuel mileage.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:04 PM
starrs
New User
I'm going through the same thoughts myself. My 03 6.0 has been on the tow truck 3 times in the first 3 months owning it! I had my 02 tahoe 5.3 for 6 yrs and it never left me stranded on the road. Traded in for the ex because it wouldn't tow the boat. I love this truck, looks, mpg, power, comfort. I drove my friends 02 7.3 and it doesn't compare. Loud, smelly, sluggish, (both are stock). I don't think i would swap. I'm an experience tech so anything breaks i fix myself but I can't stand dumping money for non fun stuff. (besides maintenance) I just feel like I'm always waiting for the next thing to break.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by starrs
I'm going through the same thoughts myself. My 03 6.0 has been on the tow truck 3 times in the first 3 months owning it! I had my 02 tahoe 5.3 for 6 yrs and it never left me stranded on the road. Traded in for the ex because it wouldn't tow the boat. I love this truck, looks, mpg, power, comfort. I drove my friends 02 7.3 and it doesn't compare. Loud, smelly, sluggish, (both are stock). I don't think i would swap. I'm an experience tech so anything breaks i fix myself but I can't stand dumping money for non fun stuff. (besides maintenance) I just feel like I'm always waiting for the next thing to break.
Yeah before I fixed mine up I was the same way! So far so good, but I still have that nervous feeling that something else is going to break when I tow my hauler!!

Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shizzu
I am torn.

Maybe they don't know enough about the engine and don't want to take the time to understand it?

I bet 100% of the 95% don't have one, They just heard about it and don't know anything about it. I bet if Ford had stepped up to the plate and just recalled ALL of them to do a correct fix we would not even be discussing this. Now the 6.0 has a reputation as bad as Lindsay Lohan, trouble with a capital T.

Now that I have done the head gasket/ARP studs/EGR I feel very good about my Excursion. I plan on keeping it a looong time. EVERY vehicle needs maintenance and this one is no different. I feel like it is easier to work on than other vehicles. Yes I still have some things to do to get it right, but they will only add to the appeal of the vehicle. They are trucks and they are subject to more harsh use than lesser vehicles. I CAN hook up my big travel trailer and head to the mountains with speed, comfort, economy, and RELIABILTY! Try that in a gasser.......

Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Glad I have a 7.3.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
dvldog458
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheBestKindOfEX
Maybe they don't know enough about the engine and don't want to take the time to understand it?

I bet 100% of the 95% don't have one, They just heard about it and don't know anything about it. I bet if Ford had stepped up to the plate and just recalled ALL of them to do a correct fix we would not even be discussing this. Now the 6.0 has a reputation as bad as Lindsay Lohan, trouble with a capital T.

I 2nd this!
I fixed mine over time and she runs like a Raped Ape! It smokes my friends 7.3

Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 PM
ramsay
Senior User
Originally Posted by hkaiser83
Sounds like you are about to finally fix the major problem areas of the 6.0 THEN sell it? That makes absolutely no sense. You're about to make it about as bulletproof as it gets so you should hang on to it! I LOVE my 6.0 and have a good amount invested in mine as well. I am proactively going to get the head studs done. Yeah I could sell it and go buy a 7.3 or a V10 but I love everything about the 6.0 and I also love the fact that I tamed it. You know? Having that which everyone trashes constantly but we have it and we have tamed the beast! I love that!

Long story short, you would be making a big mistake by selling it. They all have problems in one way or another so don't step away from yours just as you are about to do that. The 7.3 is a weak engine and the transmission blows up whenever it can. The V10 will give you a headache if it ever decides to start puking up spark plugs. Just trying to say that they all have issues which you will have to deal with. So take your pick!
Exactly my sentiments as well....

Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
I really don't have any miles on her(88000), but its runs like a champ with a 150 HP tune on it for the last 10000 miles. No studs or previous problems.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM
DeafGerman
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by scottman70
If you like the truck and have the funds to repair it correctly than I'd just fix it right! Fixing it right is expensive though! I did an external oil cooler, head studs and the bulletproof egr cooler. I also replaced the radiator at that same time to eliminate any potential cooling system issues.

Guys who already own a 6.0 Diesel I would never say just sell it, but for those guys who are thinking about purchasing one I always wonder why? I would never buy another one ever again but I did fix the one I have now! If you go with the external oil cooler and the bulletproof egr cooler you don't even need a coolant filtration system at all! The openings in the oil and egr coolers are way larger than the OEM crap! ECT & EOT temp differential is not even an issue with the external oil cooler too! It doesn't even matter, it's not indicative of anything but a temperature! Even if the differential temp gets up there it means nothing is failing like the stock setup!!!! I love my new setup, it's sweet!
Question about how you said upgrade some area for 6.0, is it nesscarry to upgrade if not towing at all, or tow a 3,000 lbs RV, 3 times a year?? Since if the heat is an issue, must be coming from towing?? Please ;let me know because I have been looking either 02 7.3 or 05 6.0 and planning to upgrade in some area. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bulletproof the 6.0 - it costs a pretty penny but then you have a reliable truck. I would absolutely not sell the truck. You'll end up spending a lot more trading.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by DeafGerman
Question about how you said upgrade some area for 6.0, is it nesscarry to upgrade if not towing at all, or tow a 3,000 lbs RV, 3 times a year?? Since if the heat is an issue, must be coming from towing?? Please ;let me know because I have been looking either 02 7.3 or 05 6.0 and planning to upgrade in some area. Thanks!
FYI.... That post is from 2010 and the user who made it hasn't logged in since 2013. Others can or will likely answer your question though

Quick Reply: Everyone keeps telling me to get rid of the 6.0 Ex