1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are hub assemblies interchangeable? (99-03 -> Newer)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are hub assemblies interchangeable? (99-03 -> Newer)

There is a logical reason for asking about this.

I have an early 99', and love most things about my truck - except the wheel offset. Since the offset for these years was only used for 3 years, wheels are a little harder to find - especially newer stock take-offs. My budget isn't quite ready for after market wheels, but hopefully will be in the not-so-distant future - but even after market wheels seem harder to find with the correct offset.

Wheel spacers (adapters to be technically correct) are an obvious option - turns out, I'm driving distance to the shop that everyone had suggested anyway. Have any of you guys had good or bad luck with these? The shop I have in mind makes aluminum hub-centric adapters... but also makes steel hub centric spacers... and is known for doing excellent work.

What I'm wondering though - is if it's possible to swap out my 99 hubs for 94+ to be able to use wheels with the newer offset, without the need of spacers?

I'm currently running a 2wd, but also considering getting a 4wd Ex as a family vehicle later on down the road, and I'me one of those guys that loves the old 7.3.

I realize that for the rear end or 4wd front end, I could just swap the whole axle... and could probably source them from a truck that someone else is parting out, but what about the 2wd hubs? I'm pretty sure I'd have to swap the brakes as well, but wasn't sure if this was even possible with 2wd.

I do wish this had occurred to me before I just finished doing ball joints, busings, bearings, etc etc... :-)

If no one seems to know, I'll try to bug the guy at the local parts counter to see which parts have matching model numbers.

Long story short though, I'm having the rear end of my truck checked out on Monday - and depending on what it needs - debating having it fixed up vs sourcing a low mileage replacement off a newer salvaged truck, but think having a mismatched offset would be a bit... odd....

Things to consider:
will the drive shaft mate up?
which versions have limited slip or lockers?
Will the brakes from the newer trucks work the same with the master cyl from the 99'?
Is it worth all that work to swap parts.... vs just slapping on the whole axle?
Does it just make more sense to spend the $ cleaning up what I already have? (All thing considered, a true-track... and just finding wheels that fit... might make more sense.)

For the front - if it's even possible... how much would I have to replace? (Just the hubs and brakes... the whole knuckle, or the whole front suspension and steering components?)

Old 12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
bump...

Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
As it turns out, they are not. The rear axle has a completely different flange for the newer model axles, not to mention the brakes being a completely different setup.

Wouldn't be worth doing unless it was part of a complete conversion to 4x4 using matching axles, or if someone with an older 4x4 was doing a full suspension and axle upgrade to the newer setup.