Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oil & Lubrication NO MLM Dealers, Wholesale Buyers Or Retailers allowed (except sponsors)
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Freshman User

kipdog is starting off with a positive reputation.
99 v10 f250 oil ?

I live in Savannah Ga, very hot summer mild in winter, my question is running 10w30 with lucas additive be okay in my 99 v10 f250 114K miles. 5w30 that the mfg recommends seems a little thin in such a warm area.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Elder User

Freaksh0w is starting off with a positive reputation.
The V10 likes thinner oils. I think it also calls for a 5W-20. It's known to shear oils down and still return great wear results. Do not put that Lucas stuff in your engine. It's a waste, there are no additives in it or anything. If I was you, I'd run a synthetic 5W-30 in it. 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30.. they all are 30 weights at 212F. Which is average operating temperature for vehicles. W means Winter, actually, and refers to cold flow/pump ability. Castrol Syntec *Made In Germany* aka German Castrol is 0W-30. It's one of the thicker 30 weights, too, and very shear stable.
31x10.50 15" Nothing special, but it's a damn good truck.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Freshman User

kipdog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info
Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Posting Guru

Ed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
5w30 and even 5w20 modern oils are stout. You need to have ZERO worries that these oils are two "thin" especially for a '99 V10 like yours.

We have a fleet of medical transport buses, Fords with the V10s. Hot, California valley summers, 100 degrees plus for a week or more. Stop and go driving. Freeway runs with the AC blowing cold at all times. They use nothing BUT 5w30 or 5w20 oil with ZERO repeat ZERO oil related issues or oil "breakdowns". Your V10 will never come close to this type of driving conditions, even in hot, humid Georgia.

Your truck is perfectly safe with what Ford recommends, and if you want to achieve the best possible MPG in your truck, use what Ford recommends. I want to spend less at the gas pumps, not more.

To think that in today's world you must use one oil in the summer and another in the winter, is obsolete and extremely "dated" thinking. If you live in Alaska, or Canada, up in the Yukon ect. then you might want to rethink winter conditions. Even in that case, you would be thinking; 'should I run a 5w30 or 5w20 full synthetic oil'?

Peace, Ed
PS You only need the Lucas additive, if your V10 is worn, very high mileage ect. If your V10 is normal, tight ( little to no oil consumption at 120,000+ miles) don't use the Lucas. It's not needed or warranted in that case.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Senior User

Diesel Man 03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If Ford recommends 5/20 that is what I would use,they designed the engine.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Freshman User

bucyrus495 is starting off with a positive reputation.
oil&lubrication

ford recommened 5/30 in the v10 untill 2004 then they sent a memo out for all v10 to run 5/20 I have a 2000 with 108000 miles always used 5/30 no problems no worries. oil any heavier has been known to take out the top end.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
ford recommened 5/30 in the v10 untill 2004.
Not correct. My 04' calls for 5w-20 and so does my dads 03'. Either way I run 5w-30 in my 04' now that my warrenty is up, usually PP. Ford changed nothing in the 6.8l that would require changing from 5w30 to 5w20.

Using 5w-30 is fine for the OPs 99'. I wouldn't contaminate the oil with the Lucas additive. If you got a lawnmower with worn rings use the Lucas in that.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication

Tags
1999, 250, 520, 530, 99, additives, changing, f250, ford, oil, recommended, type, v10, v8, weight