1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck
Old 11-18-2014, 11:56 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Tow hooks in the front?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM
smashclash
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow hooks in the front?

So my truck has some giant tow hooks on the trailer hitch. If and when I ever got stuck I'd be simple to hook up some chains to it to pull me out. However, the front has nothing. I wouldn't feel comfortable hooking something up to that cross bar that sits right behind the bumper that the sway bar attaches to. So how do people hook up hooks to the front and if so where? Preferably it'd be done in a way so that no permanent exterior modifications have to be made (i.e. cutting the bumper).

Old 12-02-2010, 11:38 AM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The easiest would be a front mounted trailer hitch and a receiver with a clevis.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
smashclash
Elder User
Is that a special hitch or would you use the same type used in the rear?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Most hitch manufacturers make a front receiver hitch. They are not the same as a rear receiver hitch. I second that this is the easiest way to go.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Install a winch bumper with drings so you can both use your winch power and the power of anothers winch or chain.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bolt a set to the frame up front. You'd probably have to drill two holes per hook, but you'd barely know they're there until you need 'em.

If you're worried about a chain scratching up the front bumper, you could just get a tow strap and keep it behind your seat so whoever pulls you out can use that.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
KBs, option works but I find the more than I try and not use my pickup as a pickup the worse it gets. IMHO if you are going where you need a chain and or tow hooks then prepare for some scratches and stuff. Hell its not like you can't buy 300 dollars with of paint and everything and knock it out in a day, if it gets too bad.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
I think they sell hooks that stick out pretty far, if you found some like that you might be able to avoid scratching the bumper so much.

Honestly I'd be more concerned with it getting bent than scratching it...my previous front bumper looked like it hit a pole lol (and I didn't do it!)

Old 12-02-2010, 02:18 PM
smashclash
Elder User
exactly it would bend the bumper. without doing bumper modifications you'd need something to go below the bumper and it seems to me like the trailer hitch is the only real option. i'm not a serious off-roader. i was just wondering if i were to get stuck and i can't pull it out in reverse how do i pull it out going forward without damaging anything?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Swatter
Senior User
For winching or towing with a rollback, there is nothing better then "Grade 70 Mini J-Hook". 95% of all cars have tow / tie down slots. Ford trucks have several including a few right in the front, and I've never damaged a bumper.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
build yourself a bumper that you can run over anything you want and not hurt the truck !
stock bumpers are flimsy and junk , unless you want to keep every thing stock looking !

Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Cut or drill holes in the bumper and use hooks bolted to the frame, get a front receiver (there are some made for '88-'97 trucks, shouldn't take much to fit an earlier truck), or buy/make a good front bumper.

I hate being that guy with no front extraction points though I confess I am that guy too. I do have a solid axle, so if I'm not stuck bad I'll wrap a strap around it right next to the center section and use that if it's just a light tug. For bad stucks using my rear receiver is the only option. Front extraction points are in my truck's future.

DO NOT use chains for extraction. That's how people get hurt or killed. Only use straps. Straps can still hurt people if used improperly and gawkers get too close in the line of fire. Can't be 100% safe from everything in life but no reason to take pointless risks like using chains for yanking with another truck. Chains are for steady dead load only when you know the forces you're working with, that your chain gives you a safe margin of error, and no shock loading is involved. NEVER yank a truck out with a chain.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
dwrestle
Elder User
The best thing is a giant tow rope like my grandpa has from way back in the day. Also I have heard that the chains were safer than straps, because the straps bungee back if snapped wheras a chain falls to the ground.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
I personally don't see an issue with chains. I mean they can come whipping around if you anchor point breaks but thats what a good welder is about. Every weld on dring and bumper I've done hasn't busted yet.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
ssn2197
New User
I just got a junk yard bumper and cut out notches where the bottom of the frame meets the bumper then got 2 car trailer hitches and cut them to length for extensions to bring the tow hooks out away from the bumper.

Quick Reply: Tow hooks in the front?