Notices

Gear Vendor Controller

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 AM
robo244
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Vendor Controller

I just bought a truck with a 5 speed ZF and a gear vendors on it behind the tcase, it doesnt seem the controller for the GV is in the truck anymore, the speedo and odometer dont work, it has the overdrive button with green light and the red "splitter" **** on the shift stick.... anyone know how to go about hooking this thing up without the computer and how it will work?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Do you get any lights or any action when you hit the button? I'd make sure the GV has fluid in it. They use a synthetic GM manual tranny lube now but I wouldn't convert if it has the older auto trans fluid in it.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:24 PM
robo244
New User
The activation button on the dash doesnt work, nor does the red button on the shifter, and all the wiring that looks like it would go to the controller box is hanging down by the brake pedal, trying to figure out how to wire it to the red button on the stick shift lever

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM
jackf450
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the controller is in fact missing. I don't think anything will work without it. All of the wires that are hanging down have to plug into the controller for anything to work, plus if not plugged in some original stuff will not work.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:00 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Unless the previous owner wired the Gear Vendor to the red **** on the shifter, the red **** is NOT for the over drive.

I checked the current kits at Gear Vendor and they all include a floor switch (looks like a second dimmer switch). US Gear over drive is shifted with a push/pull **** and there is an engine brake that uses the same type of ****.

The gear vendor "can" be wired for use without the controller but Gear Vendor will not tell you how. The controller works with the speed sensor so it won't shift at too low rpm. Gear Vendor over drive is shifted in simple terms electric over hydraulic. The pressure needs to be high enough to stay engaged. I've read from 18 to 27 mph? As long as you shift at high enough rpm I don't see any problem. The controller also locks out the ability to use while in 4 low. The rocker switch on the dash lets you change from using the OD in every gear to the trans shifting normally then into OD at around 50 mph. All somewhat useful I guess but not necessary.

I'd have to look again but I believe there are only 2 wires to the shift solenoid on the box so wiring should be simple.

I had the speed sensor go out on mine probably 9 yrs ago. Running through the controller the gear vendor would suddenly drop out of OD. At 70+ mph with 4:10 gears and the 5.9 Cummins, dropping out of OD is NOT a good thing, besides making a guy suck a couple inches of seat up the nether regions.

The Gear Vendor has been in my truck around 16 yrs. If something goes wrong with the controller, I have already decided to by pass it for a simple push/pull switch and throw the rest of the stuff out.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM
muchsnow
New User
Gear Vendors

Originally Posted by mistakenID
I had the speed sensor go out on mine probably 9 yrs ago. Running through the controller the gear vendor would suddenly drop out of OD. At 70+ mph with 4:10 gears and the 5.9 Cummins, dropping out of OD is NOT a good thing, besides making a guy suck a couple inches of seat up the nether regions.

The Gear Vendor has been in my truck around 16 yrs. If something goes wrong with the controller, I have already decided to by pass it for a simple push/pull switch and throw the rest of the stuff out.

My 2001 Ram (4.10's, 6 speed, 4wd, Cummins) used to do this also (drop out on big bumps)...sucked. ended up being a bad bulb (shorted filament) in the GV power switch...go figure huh?.....

Still hate the way the thing hangs on the back of the transfer case though..the crappy adaptation/mounting that WILL eventually cause problems with the thin weak transfer case housing......eventually..

Had vibration problems forever...until I went to a full leaf setup on the rear axle too....

Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM
whiteywhip
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am sure if you call gear vendors they will help you figure it out

Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 AM
muchsnow
New User
Gear Vendors..

Originally Posted by whiteywhip
i am sure if you call gear vendors they will help you figure it out
Not much they can do, they have found (over time) that the unit is really too much to have hanging way out on the rear of the NV241HD.....cracks the cases, mine leaks but hasn't failed.

It would have been better installed with a shorter output shaft and adapter assembly...

Add the variable angle drivetrain caused by the rear (Dodge) oem blocks and axle wrap...royal PIA....replaced with full arch springs...

Still use it, eats output yokes every coupla years (chews up the splines where they tighten up to the inside of the unit)....

Had to call them and order a new shifter switch yesterday, have about 150K on the unit...