Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

December Chat / All Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Afternoon/evening fellas; getting down right nipple-ly around here. About time to start thinking about plugging those "compression engines" in at night for easier starts & warm cabs.
Originally Posted by sddesigns
Happy B-day Zack!
Thank you, this is the first time I've been able to get online since Thursday night...been working my tail off since then. Got to love it when half the crew board marks off to go to a Christmas party. I take the $$$ and pass on the trip to Branson.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
getting down right nipple-ly around here. About time to start thinking about plugging those "compression engines" in at night for easier starts & warm cabs.
It is getting just a little cool out. I never have plugged in either of my trucks and as long as there are no bad glow plugs, I have never had starting problems.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning everyone!
Its yet another Monday morning and all is well!
Time to get the coffee brewin'

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Uhg!! gotta get moving. Back to that dirty little word called WORK!! Seems like I might have forgot how to do that, oh well, guess I'll just play it by ear.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:18 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning Arkansas!

Have a great day!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:25 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Afternoon ya'll. So glad yesterday is over, I love it when technology fails after bean counters think they've solved the worlds problems. A little back story...locomotives don't have glow plugs (never have)...and most run for weeks at a time without shutting down this time of year since most railroads use plan water with no antifreeze in the cooling system. The company I work for has spent $30k per locomotive installing a 20hp Kubota diesel-powered generator/pump (APU) so we can shut down the main engine that can burn 13-17 gallons of diesel per hour of idle. Both the APU & main engine use same cooling water & system, the APU uses the generator to run pumps to circulate water through the big engine (10320 CID/170L), trickle charge the batteries and keep a small heater running in the cab. Yesterday morning when I got to the assignment I was called for we discovered the APU had shut down sometime over the weekend; thus the main engine was good & cold soaked. Needless to say the 16F low wasn't helping either. On the bottom of the engine (below the cooling water pump) is a plug the mechanics call "the guru"...the thing will fall out when the water temps fall below 35-40F in an effort to keep the block from freezing & cracking. It was great to sit around for 5 hours & due nothing while the shop sent a truck down to get it going.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
It is getting just a little cool out. I never have plugged in either of my trucks and as long as there are no bad glow plugs, I have never had starting problems.
I don't have any issue starting the truck when it hasn't been plugged in...it's just nice to get, fire it up...and have warm air coming out of the vents. I will say this, I thought the old batteries I had were ok (load tested out fine)...but these new ones under the hood are definitely hot. May end up replacing my stater since the thing spins so fast now.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Uhg!! gotta get moving. Back to that dirty little word called WORK!! Seems like I might have forgot how to do that, oh well, guess I'll just play it by ear.
Poor guy, were do I need to send the flowers for my condolences...

You slacker.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:54 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by zhilton
You slacker.
Hey, I resemble that remark

Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Well how is it going everyone. Figured I would drop a line in here. Wanted to let you guys know that I am leaving the end of this month for Kuwait for 6 months. It is supposed to be a nice base to go to so no worries about anything....besides, I hit expert with an M16 anyways! lol Jackie will be here till the girls are outta school then head to Fl. My neighbor is going to start my truck up for me now and then. Gonna get some work done on it when I get back, get it driveable!!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning Arkansas!

Happy Hump Day!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
afternoon everyone!!!!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Be safe Andy, see you when you get back.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mudder460
Well how is it going everyone. Figured I would drop a line in here. Wanted to let you guys know that I am leaving the end of this month for Kuwait for 6 months. It is supposed to be a nice base to go to so no worries about anything....besides, I hit expert with an M16 anyways! lol Jackie will be here till the girls are outta school then head to Fl. My neighbor is going to start my truck up for me now and then. Gonna get some work done on it when I get back, get it driveable!!
Dang, back to the sandbox ehh? Jim is headed back too..

Take care of yourself over there.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
morning everyone happy thursday!!!!!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning AR!

TGIF!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Morning everyone, other than laundry...not really sure what I'm going to do with my "day off".
Originally Posted by mudder460
Well how is it going everyone. Figured I would drop a line in here. Wanted to let you guys know that I am leaving the end of this month for Kuwait for 6 months.
Man, be careful over there...even if your in Kuwait.

Quick Reply: December Chat / All Topic Thread