S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Escondido Home To Be Burned Down By County

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Escondido Home To Be Burned Down By County

Looks like there's going to be a free fireworks show in Escondido sometime next week.

'Bomb factory' house in Escondido area to be burned down

Old 12-01-2010, 12:34 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Interesting. One of the more interesting aspects to me will be how, and if, the home owner will be compensated. Does my homeowners policy cover deliberate fire by officials? Somehow I don't think so.

On the other hand, I would like to know more about this homeowner. Seems unlikely to me that he would be completely ignorant about this. Is he complicit???

Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool story.

As for the homeowner - if the renter has been there a while, pays the rent on time, never calls for maintenance/repairs and keeps the exterior of the home in respectable shape there really is no reason the owner would need to check up/go inside or even find out. What if the owner was an out of state owner?

Anyways - I too would be interested to find out if the owner will get any insurance $$.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Landlord this story scares the hell out of me. One of my rentals i haven't been inside in over 10 yrs. She keeps the outside as nice as can be. I have no reason to see the inside. And under the law i'd have to give her a 30 day notice and arrange for her to show me the inside at the least. Minor plumbing issues when she calls i dispatch my local plumber for and he gives me a verbal report on the inside conditions. If i was the property owner i'd be on the phone to my lawyer ASAP !!! i wonder the the tennants penter isnurance will cover that ?? ha fat chance of that......

Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
The burn went smoothly yesterday. I-15 was closed for a while to let the smoke pass.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I have a difficult time believing that they would set fire to the place with the knowledge there were "explosives" or "toxics" inside. Waaay too much public liability in that cloud of smoke!

I wonder if it weren't all just "punitive", to set an example for landlords to ensure this doesn't happen again soon. They certainly had enough advance publicity for the "example", if that's what it was, including shutting down an area freeway.

I suspect the owner's attorney simply doesn't pay enough baksheesh to the San Diego area Federal court system.

Hmmmm, is my mis-trust of the legal system beginning to show....?

Pop