6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Advise on a good 6.0 mechanic in S.A. TX

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 PM
America First
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise on a good 6.0 mechanic in S.A. TX

Can anyone recommend a good 6.0 diesel mechanic in the San Antonio area? Actually I live in Canyon Lake Texas near New Braunfels which is close to San Antonio. I have a 2006 F350 6.0 that is emptying out the coolant reservoir, there is also some puddling on the top of the motor and a oily film developing around the oil filter housing and the blue section of pipe that goes to the turbo. I have only had the truck since June this year and it has 134k on the OD, I did ask the New Braunfels Ford dealer to run the VIN and they said the service history looked good. At any rate this is all beyond my mechanical ability, at least the diagnostics, and I am going to need a good trust worthy mechanic. Any recommendations? Thanks all in advance. Scott

Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Sounds like the EGR cooler hose is leaking. There are threads that can help you fix it yourself if you are wlling to try.

If you do not want to do it yourself, are you looking for "low price" or "good work" as the main aspect of a shop?

You should activate your "visitors messaging" in your profile. I have been given a few recommendations in that general area.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 PM
America First
Freshman User
I would rather pay more money and it done right than pay anything and have it done wrong or twice! I will look up the threads on the possability you mentioned, if I discover that's the problem I'll give it a go myself. I'll get the visitors messaging worked out I would still like to hear your mechanic recommendations. Thanks alot I appreciate it.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 PM
hrod79
New User
sent you a messege.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I have heard good things about:
mac haik southway ford

Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
America First
Freshman User
Hrod79 and bismic I'll check out your recommendations if it turns out to be something I can't handle. Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM
KBen
New User
Texas Diesel Injection, I don't let anyone else put a wrench on my truck.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 AM
chrisbraziel
New User
texas diesel injections

Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
America First
Freshman User
Well it went terminal on me this morning! I went out to start her up and it really struggled to turn over, it started up and sounded louder than usual, white steam/smoke was pouring out of the exhaust. I popped the hood and my coolant reservoir was almost empty again, I just filled it to the min level with the engine cold the night before. So I shut it down and got a ride from my wife. I'm sure this one is going to hurt big time!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:18 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
Did you look to see if the coolant bottle didn't have a seam split? They usually split in the inside rear - towards the engine!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
America First
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Did you look to see if the coolant bottle didn't have a seam split? They usually split in the inside rear - towards the engine!
I looked over the bottle as good as I could with a flashlight without removing it. Couldn't find any cracks/splits and couldn't feel any moisture under or behind with my hand.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM
America First
Freshman User
[QUOTE=bismic;9623537]Sounds like the EGR cooler hose is leaking. There are threads that can help you fix it yourself if you are wlling to try.

I looked up the EGR cooler hose fix also and it has the blue hose already and it does not look like it's leaking from the front connection but I couldn't see the connection at the rear.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Young Gun
Senior User
Sounds like you have a blown EGR cooler.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by America First
there is also some puddling on the top of the motor and a oily film developing around the oil filter housing and the blue section of pipe that goes to the turbo.
Coolant puddling on top the engine does not come from a blown EGR cooler. Even though you have the blue hose, you can still have a leak in it. I suppose it could also be coming froom the heater hose and/or the heater valve.

BTW - you still could have a blown EGR cooler. If so, you will see coolant under your EGR valve and usually see wome fairly heavy white smoke in the exhaust. Also, if your EGR cooler is blown, then your oil cooler is most likely plugged also.

The oil film is coming from leaking CAC boots (the blue "pipe" you mention). Remove the CAC tubes and clean them up real good. If they are not too soft, you can reuse them. If you want to be conservative, then get new ones. I added a ccv filter to remove the oil from the turbo intake that comes from the crancase ventilation system. It is a great mod!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 AM
America First
Freshman User
Am I correct in understanding that the blown head gaskets are a result of the coolant leaking from a blown EGR cooler, it leaks through the intake and gets into the cylinders, when it cranks over it blows the gaskets from the increased pressure? And if that's correct the problem isn't really the heads or no studs but the EGR system?

Quick Reply: Advise on a good 6.0 mechanic in S.A. TX