6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

MTE Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:05 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
MTE Display

Just got notice on good authority that Ford will provide a way to update the fuel tank size in the PCM for those who have installed larger fuel tanks! Currently the MTE display is dependent upon a value hard-coded into the PCM based on the OEM tank size at time of build. That will change with an upcoming release of the IDS system. This from Ford:
"...software version V71 for IDS, scheduled for a late January release, will contain the appropriate MCP commands that will allow custom configuration for increment fuel tank size parameters within the instrument cluster for MTE up to 100 gallons."
So in February, we can go the the dealer and request this update. Being in the business of software development myself, I appreciate that advertising features in future software releases is tricky business. There are many things that can go wrong to delay expected release dates. Regardless of what month the feature is finally available, this is just another feather in the cap for Ford's responsiveness to customer requests. Thanks Ford!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is great news! That was one of the downsides that I didn't like about the Titan mod. I like for all the tools to work...

I haven't check the manual for this, but how do you know what version you are on?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:20 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
That is great news! That was one of the downsides that I didn't like about the Titan mod. I like for all the tools to work...

I haven't check the manual for this, but how do you know what version you are on?
The IDS system (not sure what the acronym stands for) is what dealers use to program or flash the truck PCM (Power Control Module) and TCM (Transmission Control Module). The dealers regularly get updates from Ford and need to download and update their IDS system with the current version. This new feature is scheduled to be included in the January update.

It's not clear to me whether it will be end-user configurable or if it is a setting that the dealer must set. I suspect the latter, much like how they reset the TPMS alert threshold.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Do you need to have the dealer tell you what version you are on or does the Information Center have a screen to show you the version? Sort of like with Microsoft products and the "about" feature.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I'm not sure if there is anything like and "about" feature to display the current versions installed on our trucks although that would be a great idea. I just know that the last update to my truck was the 10B17 flash which I believe was applied with IDS v68.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news...

Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Thats awesome..not that it matters to me but I'm glad all y'all will be able to get your stuff to work properly. I would like to see them allow for some user changes in the temperture triggers for the climate control stuff and to turn off some of these f..ing dinging noises!
Btw I'm pretty sure IDS stands for Integrated Diagnostic System...its been a few years but I think thats what it stands for.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 PM
jweidert
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
[quote=EpicCowlick;9620194]The IDS system (not sure what the acronym stands for) ...quote]

Not that I'm adding much value to this thread, but the DS refers to Diagnostic System. My Dad used to work for HP, and back in the day, they developed and sold these systems to Ford. They were called SBDS back then (Service Bay Diagnostic Systems). I'm not sure what the "I" stands for today...it's anyone's guess, but these are the computer devices rolled around to provide udpated vehicle information and enable techs to perform some of the more complicated work on these new vehicles.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:03 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
IDS = (Ford) Integrated Diagnostic System

...I think...lol

Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How about Ford also updates our tank sizes since they allowed some knucklehead to design a 26 gallon tank on a Super Duty!!! My Wife's Volvo holds close to this.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! My Titan will be delivered next week!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sgt93
How about Ford also updates our tank sizes since they allowed some knucklehead to design a 26 gallon tank on a Super Duty!!! My Wife's Volvo holds close to this.
I guarantee you that knucklehead hated having to do that. Ford is bound by the Federal motor vehicle safety statute to provide crash resistance for the fuel tanks. Remember the Pinto fires in the 70s? I am confident that every motor vehicle manufacturer must interpret those statutes very conservatively to protect themselves against liability. I don't like it either, but it makes me feel better to at least understand how the decision to put in a 26 gallon tank was made. Thank goodness we at least have aftermarket options to restore some sensibility.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Champ198
Elder User
If we can have the fuel tank size changed in the ECM and Ford offers a larger sized OEM tank on 2012 short bed trucks (that can be retrofit), I may buy a Ford tank, install it and have the dealer change the ECM. I'm excited to see that this may be a possibility.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:38 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have wondered what it may take to put the 37 gallon tank in the short box...

Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If this update comes out, I may pick up a Titan then.

Quick Reply: MTE Display