1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I am positively giddy...

Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,374 Posts
Update

I wanted to update this thread with the most recent developments. I recently was sent some old photographs from the original owner's family for my Mercury truck. One was a 2" square and in pretty rough and wrinkled shape. With great thanks to "photoshop" BobJ, who cleaned it up so it was 'legible', I'm going to share them here.

This was the original owner wife, and mother of the person I've been conversing with about the truck. She's now 82 years old. They bought the truck new in '52 from a Mercury dealer in Vernon, with the flatbed installed and painted white with the traditional Canadian black fenders. White was not a production color, so the truck was built with the main body and hood just in primer, and the exterior painted white after it was assembled. The firewall and interior remain in the original red-oxide primer. Under all the window rubbers, filler neck grommet, etc., is also primer red.

Here is the pic that Bob so graciously repaired for me, and made large enough so we can actually see it...(thanks again Bob!)

And as it looks today...

I think it's pretty cool stuff, and I hope you enjoy.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 PM
49m47
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just so cool. Has seeing these pics change your thoughts on what you might do with this truck?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
HD74
Elder User
Kool pictures and even better story!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by 49m47
This is just so cool. Has seeing these pics change your thoughts on what you might do with this truck?
No. I have no desire to return it to it's original livery or put that big stake bed back on. It's too industrial/agricultural for my hotrodder tastes. I do plan to put a flatmotor back in with the original 3 on the tree, but make a few minor mods that will make it a fun cruiser and look sharp, with a look like a 50's/60's shop truck might have. I have an idea for a custom bed that will allow me to retain the original short running boards. There are certain aspects that I feel are important to retain some of it's original personality. I'll admit I'm torn on the black fenders.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice job on the pictures. If it were me, I'd do Mick proud and return it back to glory.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 PM
49m47
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
No. I have no desire to return it to it's original livery or put that big stake bed back on. It's too industrial/agricultural for my hotrodder tastes. I do plan to put a flatmotor back in with the original 3 on the tree, but make a few minor mods that will make it a fun cruiser and look sharp, with a look like a 50's/60's shop truck might have. I have an idea for a custom bed that will allow me to retain the original short running boards. There are certain aspects that I feel are important to retain some of it's original personality. I'll admit I'm torn on the black fenders.
As we have discussed before, I'm really struggling with the whole "Original" thing. I think its time to just do what ever I want you want to do.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
How many posts have we seen about tracing our truck's history without a clue on how to do that?
Although the man isn't anywhere near the original owner(that I know of), I have a story for you! I'll post it up in the near future.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi & happy new year - Glad to here you got some info from Pat and family, was wondering how things were going. Did you receive the small bit I mailed awhile ago? Tried to PM you a while ago but being computer dumb it didn't work. One day I'll figure some of these things out. Really happy to see your pics and post about how things are going. Bye for now. - Rod

Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 AM
chriscris
Senior User
that is awesome, youreally have to love putting the first(last?) piece of the puzzle in

Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,444 Posts
That is neat to have a vintage photo of your truck. I know the history of my truck: Bought it from my grandfather, he bought it new in Dec 1954. But I have only one picture of the truck when Grandpa owned it! I have asked all my uncles and aunts, went through my mother's things after she died but no one has any photos of it. They have pics of the tractors in the fields working, even old, old pics of my grandfather working with a team of horses, but no one has found any pics of the truck. It would be so cool to have one. I remember my cousins and me driving the truck in the tobacco fields when we all pitched to help get in the tobacco crop.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
V8R
Junior User
Very cool! I'm the 3rd owner of my 52 F1. The original owners daughter learned to drive in the old ford. She and her husband bought the pickup from her dad and used it on the farm until 1968. They are good friends of my family and I was given the pickup in the 80's if I would drag it out of the pasture. She's glad I'm fixing it up but she still wishes it was going back to the original "baby blue". When I bought another 52 as a driver I drove it back to my old home town to let them drive it around for a while. I'll never forget the smiles.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
k-member
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is really cool to have those pics. I had to piece my M-1 together from a few trucks as mine did not have a bed when I bought it and just for kicks I chose to use an early 48 style bed. I just like the more rounded stake pockets and stamped style sides of the early beds and it looks a little more deluxe. I used to love driving around with the flattie and the three on the tree in mine, that's gonna be a hoot.

Search this Thread