Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake line advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
andyman7931
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake line advice

Started off by replacing the brake pads and hoses to the calipers, but on removing one of the hoses, the hard line was rusted to the connector. I went to the store to get new hard line, but the parts counter guy sold me a compression fitting. Got the truck back together but had reservations about compression fittings on brakes. After reading online, I'm correct about my reservations. What should I do now? I could either replace the whole line or get a union and flare tool to make a stronger joint. Also, what is the size and thread of the current flare joints?

thanks

Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 PM
91chevywt
Senior User
Don't use compression fittings on brake lines. In fact, the one time I bought a compression fitting the counterman made sure I wasn't going to use it on a brake line. I was under the impression they were NOT to recommend them for use on brake lines.

If you need to replace a section of brake line, using a union and a good flaring tool would be the correct way to do it, or you could replace the whole length. If you need to make any bends, a cheap bender would be very helpful also

Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 PM
andyman7931
Senior User
This is the first time that I did hard line brake work and the counter guy gave me the compression fitting! I drove the truck last night to test brakes, but after my reading about compression fittings, the truck isn't moving until I get it right... I had good luck bending line with various round objects found in the garage, but will get the correct union and flare lines tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 PM
fordmanbrad
Senior User
Note that the flaring tool is a special one just for brake lines, not to be confused with a flaring tool for plumbing. The automotive type has a special cup to roll the tubing inward before flaring outward. This makes a very strong joint, which you absolutely need. I picked up a good used flaring tool on ebay. DO NOT use compression fittings!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:12 AM
SKS45
Junior User
You can get premade hard lines in different lengths with the proper fittings already installed. Guesstimate the length needed and then use a tubing bender to approximate the bends in the old line. It's a lot easier than trying to make the proper flaring at the end yourself.

Brett

Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Turx
Senior User
SKS45 makes a good suggestion in buying a "length" of line that is already flared and has the fittings in place. It's pretty inexpensive and comes in a number if different lenghts.

Last edited by Turx; 11-30-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 PM
andyman7931
Senior User
Picked up the parts tonight, thanks for the advice. Got a union, and flare tool with nuts. I already had a 10" length of tube. When I walked in to the store to ask for the union, the guy tried to talk me out of it and into a compression fitting, he even had one labeled "brake compression fitting". He also said that most people who come in with my problem buy those, maybe I should not drive on busy streets here... Also went ahead and bought the flare tool since it was only $20 and it'll be in my tool box for next time. I'm one to spend a little money when it comes to brakes and grabbed a new set of calipers since I'll be bleeding the lines again anyway, I don't want to cheap out on brakes on the vehicle that hauls lots of weight.