6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)

Old 03-15-2011, 05:58 AM
mudmagnet63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put my kit on last week with the old style t. It seems to me desilesite is responsive to the needs of their customers. If I have a problem I'll change it out, sometimes parts fail. I'm glad to have their product on my ride. I thought about changing the t but decided to stay with the kit as is.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 AM
tharepairguy
Senior User
I know this comment is late but might help someone in the future. You can always purchase UV Coolant dye that would give you an extra failsafe to check when doing regular maintenance. The UV dye that i purchased from ford does not void your warranty and it also is detectable with my regular ol shop light. Granted it shows up a lot better with a blacklight or UV light...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mudmagnet63
I just put my kit on last week with the old style t. It seems to me dieselsite is responsive to the needs of their customers. If I have a problem I'll change it out, sometimes parts fail. I'm glad to have their product on my ride. I thought about changing the t but decided to stay with the kit as is.

If you got your kit last week then you have the new tee. The new tees are in just about every system that went out in 2011. They've been out that long. They look identical to the press fit tee as the only difference is that the two pieces are now threaded together. It is a fine thread and it is buried. So the outward appearance is visually identical. Any systems ordered after January 15th or so will have the threaded tee.

Bob

Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
scrdanis
Senior User
That's why you go with the SINISTER coolant filter set-up. It also has the shut-off valves as part of the purchase package.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM
tharepairguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by scrdanis
That's why you go with the SINISTER coolant filter set-up. It also has the shut-off valves as part of the purchase package.
That's why i chose the sinister setup. It included the ball valves, being anodized didnt hurt, copper small tee and the bigger alum tee is threaded. At 125 shipped, it was a lot cheaper. I havn't installed it yet but I also heard that the mounting bracket is more sturdy. It's really thick metal. It also came pre-assembled, ready to install...

Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 PM
NYC F-350
Junior User
Originally Posted by tharepairguy
That's why i chose the sinister setup. It included the ball valves, being anodized didnt hurt, copper small tee and the bigger alum tee is threaded. At 125 shipped, it was a lot cheaper. I havn't installed it yet but I also heard that the mounting bracket is more sturdy. It's really thick metal. It also came pre-assembled, ready to install...

You can add the ball valves to the dieselsite unit. They are right on their website, sold as an add-on, but there nonetheless.

Now that you brought up the Sinister coolant filter, I would like to post some of my thoughts about it.
First thing that struck me was the cheap look to the hoses. The ends of them are crimped on to the fittings. If you have a failure with that unit, you must recreate both the hose and the fitting. Would the manufacturer stand behind the product? My guess would be yes, but, does that help you on the side of a highway on a Sunday evening at 11:00pm with the wife and 2 kids in the truck? Hardly.

The mounting for the dieselsite unit is plenty sturdy if you properly install it. Do it wrong and it is not, simple as that. The directions are quite clear with the dieselsite unit.
I don't see cutting a hose to length, inserting a couple of fittings into existing lines and hanging that bracket difficult, but if that is to you, get the other "pre-assembled" piece. They both have the "bling" factor of the filterhead being polished aluminum, with sinister being blue anodized.

I, for one, applaud Bob at dieselsite for improving a product that, in my mind, did not need it due to the very low number of failures.
Seriously guys, how many of you would have had this failure and not say something, either on this forum, or to the manufacturer directly. I dare say none.

Could any of us name a single part that hasn't had failures, be it a stock one or a "mod"? Doubtful.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:48 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYC F-350
Seriously guys, how many of you would have had this failure and not say something, either on this forum, or to the manufacturer directly. I dare say none.

He already said they have received complaints about this exact failure so it's not "none" as you said, it's 'some'...

Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 PM
NYC F-350
Junior User

I, for one, applaud Bob at dieselsite for improving a product that, in my mind, did not need it due to the very low number of failures.
Perhaps you mis-read what I said?
I asked how many had failed and went unreported either on this forum, a different forum, or by contacting dieselsite....

Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Perhaps you mis-read what I said?
I asked how many had failed and went unreported either on this forum, a different forum, or by contacting dieselsite....

LOL, my bad ! When you read a thousand pages from bland law school texts a day one tends to at the helm.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:52 PM
tharepairguy
Senior User
You can add the ball valves to the dieselsite unit. They are right on their website, sold as an add-on, but there nonetheless.

Now that you brought up the Sinister coolant filter, I would like to post some of my thoughts about it.
First thing that struck me was the cheap look to the hoses. The ends of them are crimped on to the fittings. If you have a failure with that unit, you must recreate both the hose and the fitting. Would the manufacturer stand behind the product? My guess would be yes, but, does that help you on the side of a highway on a Sunday evening at 11:00pm with the wife and 2 kids in the truck? Hardly.

The mounting for the dieselsite unit is plenty sturdy if you properly install it. Do it wrong and it is not, simple as that. The directions are quite clear with the dieselsite unit.
I don't see cutting a hose to length, inserting a couple of fittings into existing lines and hanging that bracket difficult, but if that is to you, get the other "pre-assembled" piece. They both have the "bling" factor of the filterhead being polished aluminum, with sinister being blue anodized.
I realize you can add them on the $129 DS setup I think for $18 extra but at 125 shipped for the Sinister with ball valves, its hard to beat in my opinion. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I was just stating why I made the choice to go with the Sinister setup vs the DieselSite. I actually ordered the DS setup from someone else but that didn't work out so well and by the time I realized that they were not going to ship out the DS setup, it went up another $10 + shipping.

I'm not a huge fan of the crimp'd fittings also but if you look under the hood, I think you will find quite a few of them. I know that they are all over my backhoe where there under a lot more psi. I don't think it would be that tough to take a dremel cutoff wheel and score the crimp'd fittings, remove them and replace with hose clamps. As far as the hose goes, it has a silicone feel to it and if i remember correctly those are more $$ than the standard heater hose but I could be completely wrong about that, as I don't mess with heater hose's often...

I didn't realize the kit was pre-assembled before I ordered it but it was a nice surprise, as long as there are not any leaks.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I liked the fact that Dieselsite gave me plenty of extra hose that I could cut to length. Gave me options as to how I wanted to route them. From looking at pictures of different installs, I can see that not everyone routes them the same.

Hose is pretty darn cheap.

One the other hand, not having all those Breeze clamps would be nice when I'm working under the hood.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
I liked the fact that Dieselsite gave me plenty of extra hose that I could cut to length. Gave me options as to how I wanted to route them. From looking at pictures of different installs, I can see that not everyone routes them the same.

Hose is pretty darn cheap.

One the other hand, not having all those Breeze clamps would be nice when I'm working under the hood.
x2. I'm real pleased with my Dieselsite kit w/ the valves.

I ended up slitting about an extra 9" of hose to prevent chaffing and help
protect the hose from the A/C lines.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
I ended up slitting about an extra 9" of hose to prevent chaffing and help
protect the hose from the A/C lines.
I used some of the extra hose so that I could anchor mine to the AC lines.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 PM
plomero2
Junior User
Originally Posted by plomerostroker
I used a 1"X1/2 pex plumbing tee, you can get this at any plumbing supply store. the other tee is just a straight 1/2 pex tee. they are made of brass, they will last for ever. I would never use anything else. vangard is one maker of the pex tee. don't go to home depot type plumbing stores, they have them, but may not know what you are looking for. good luck, my is working fine.
This is the best idea yet. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
But, my Sinister goes to 11.