1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

North to Alaska - Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North to Alaska - Maybe

I've been hearing about some job prospects in Alaska and wonder what I might need for a winter trip with my 97' PSD 4x4 5 speed extra cab long bed. Please chime in as I know it can be life and death if improperly prepared. I have some ideas as how to prepare the PSD but I'd love to here the nitty gritty from ya'll.. Thanks

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
good snow tires, new gp's and gpr, spare fuel filters,6 layers of clothes, #1 diesel, antigel, fairly new batteries, good breakdown kit for yourself just in case (food, drink, etc.), four more layers of clothes, operational block heater, seven more layers of clothes, etc..

Old 11-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flashlight...

Old 11-28-2010, 06:07 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
prepared cooling system, 8 more layers of clothes, batteries for the flashlight...

Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Sounds good, I was just looking at the down jackets on Cabela's..

Old 11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
And when you start to look like the Michelin man from all the layers of clothes, it's time to start looking for a coat.

I'd suggest you also investigate your route and location for cell phone coverage. Does your carrier provide coverage there? I've also heard lots of stories about GPS sending people down roads that are, or should be closed in winter time in northern areas. If you go, be sure of your route and how to get there without a GPS.

Are you in the mountains or down in the heat in New Mexico? Alaska is a whole new kind of cold, so I'd pick up a master o-ring kit for your spare parts bin. Maybe even go ahead and change the oil cooler o-rings, fuel and HPOP line o-rings just for good measure.

Switch over to a synthetic oil and carry several gallons of spare oil for roadside issues. Spare fuel filter, Diesel 911, a spare tire in good condition, a good jack and some flashlights. Also think about adding some fog lights or off road lights to your truck. Lots of darkness this time of year in Alaska.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM
thenutisloose1
Junior User
My 96 f 250 came from up there

It has the standard block heater plus 3 oil pan heaters and i would also
make sure that the fuel filter pot heater is still working
and a working glow plug system, get a spare solenoid for it
maybe a fresh starter for it , a battery blanket heater also mite be a good idea
thats my 2 cents

Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
I would get a toolbox for your truck and carry spares of all the essentials. As well as a large enough tool kit to be able to do whatever you have to do.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Serious business for sure. Any chance my BFG KM/2 285 75 16's will be good enough for the snow? I don't have clearance for chains in the front but I do in the back.

As far as battery blankets, do they operate when I plug in or as I drive? Same for the oil pan heaters..
My severely cracked winshield might better be replaced before I venture out too..

Old 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
... 8 more layers of clothes...
YouTube - I can't put my arms down!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM
thenutisloose1
Junior User
They are all plug in, just think if your -40 degrees would you want to start ??
If them tires are round they should be fine

Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Don't forget the Honda generator to plug all that stuff in and a battery charger! You will not need a jack, tire rubber gets so cold up there they don't go flat, LOL!!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Don't forget the Honda generator to plug all that stuff in and a battery charger! You will not need a jack, tire rubber gets so cold up there they don't go flat, LOL!!
Expensive Trip!!!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Lived in Fairbanks for seven years,,, throw the GPS away,,, total waste of time. There's only one or two ways to get there, and they're on a map.

Good tires and new batteries,,, blah, blah, blah, are a given as well as synthetic oil and anti-gel in your diesel. Use common sense there and you'll be just fine!

Make sure you have at least three day's food in store, and make sure this food can be eaten frozen. The higher the fat content the better as you will need a huge number of calories just to stay warm. So, granola bars, energy bars, beef jerky, etc.

Water will just freeze, so instead make sure you can build a fire. Not only to stay warm, but you can melt snow for drinking and cooking. I always carried a small BBQ with the little green propane canisters. Meat will stay frozen in a cooler in the back of my truck and can be grilled on the side of the road while waiting for help.

Winter gear is an absolute must. Even if not for you, it's amazing how many silly people will be hundreds of miles form anywhere only wearing tennis shoes and cotton socks!! Silly fools!!

Flashlight batteries don't last long in 40 below weather, so grab a few glow sticks,,, between the two, you'll be covered for a while.

You'll need an extra ignition key. If you don't have all the block heaters, and oil pan heaters and battery heaters, don't worry,,, Just leave your rig running.

If you can't plug it in,,, DON'T shut it off!!! Fair warning!!!

My VW Rabbit ran for 6 months straight when I first moved up there. I always made sure she was topped off at night and turned up the high idle and locked the doors.

If you don't lock the doors, your rig may go missing,,, but they are usually found right away and only a few miles off. No one really intends to steal them per se,,, they just needed to get somewhere and well,,, your rig was right there all nice and warm!!

Even though you're not coming from a moist climate, fill your door locks with graphite powder before you get into the cold. It's really hard to unfreeze a frozen lock when it's frozen inside the tumblers!!

As far as extra parts,, well,,, you know what your rig may need. If it's weak or questionable, the cold will find it,,, I guarantee it!!! I did wake up one morning, however, and found someone had stolen the turn-in hub off of my front wheel!!! And I was sleeping in the truck!!! So, I was really glad I had some grease and a strong baggie to put over it. Geez!!

Moose are a huge threat to your lively hood and if you happen along one that won't leave the road,,, well,,, I'd let him have the right of way!!! I have seen them completely remove the front grill and the radiator of a truck because someone was trying to push one across a bridge. Canada won't let you bring a pistol into their fine country,,, but they don't care about rifles. So a nice 7mm and a box of shells should keep any pesky moose at bay!!

Money is another thing you'll need especially if you come through BC,,, It does stand for Bring Cash after all!!! LoL!! Fuel is sold by the liter there and at 1.10-1.18 per, it will be spendy to cross over.

There ARE hotels along the way,,, but not all of them are open in the winter,,, so do be prepared to spend a night or two on your own, just in case!!!

Can't think of anything else at the moment,,, but if I do,,, I'll be sure to post it up!!

Good luck in your job search!!!

Quick Reply: North to Alaska - Maybe