V10 Rod Bearings going out

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 PM
demery
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10 Rod Bearings going out

2004 V10 EX Limited 105K

Heard raddle. Drew Ford determined the rob bearings were going out. Said I need a new engine $8K. Can this be fixed outside of going to the dealer? I'm not a mechanic but if I find one I trust could they fix for cheaper? PLEASE HELP.....

demery

Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask around for a reputable mechanic. I know that sometimes that is a hard thing to find. But usually a non-ford Mechanic rates are a fair bit less than the Ford rates. The other option is to find a mechanic that will take a "take-out" V-10 from a wrecked truck and then drop that in. BUt you may find out that the labor charges will make it more cost effective to have your engine rebuilt than to have a used one installed. With the economy in San Diego, you should be able to find a mechanic that will give you a decent deal.
Good Luck,
Garry in Kodiak, AK
(Used to be stationed in San Diego for many years between 1986 and 2003)

Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
calialx1
Freshman User
You can always find a cheaper repair than the dealership. There is a reason they are referred to as the stealership.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
perryg114
More Turbo
I am interested in what made the bearings fail? The only thing that comes to mind is low or no oil pressure from a mechanical problem or no oil in the crankcase. Are there any other wear related problems? Does it burn oil?

Perry

Old 11-29-2010, 04:13 PM
demery
Freshman User
That is my concern and my argument to Ford Corp. Oil pressure was fine, oil level was fine, no dash light indicators came on. One day the engine is great..... The next day I need a new one. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its only rod bearings you should be able to replace the rod and main bearings with the motor in the truck.
Remove oil pan
Slide the tranmssion back and transfer case if 4x4.
Remove crank from engine inspect journals, inspect rods, replace bearings gaskets and seals. If crank is good polish crank.
You just may get this done for about 800.00.

There is no need to replace an engine that just needs bearings.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM
labman1014
Elder User
Originally Posted by perryg114
I am interested in what made the bearings fail? The only thing that comes to mind is low or no oil pressure from a mechanical problem or no oil in the crankcase. Are there any other wear related problems? Does it burn oil?

Perry
on my old s15 jimmy i use to have, my bearings went out due to coolant leaking into the oil. intake gasket was leaking. water doesnt make for a good lubricant!!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Originally Posted by UrbanXX
If its only rod bearings you should be able to replace the rod and main bearings with the motor in the truck.
Remove oil pan
Remove crank from engine inspect journals, inspect rods, replace bearings gaskets and seals. If crank is good polish crank.

Yea, but dude said he wasn't a mechanic.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:29 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I did them in my Toyota years ago, amazingly easy. You should be able to find a quality mechanic in your area that will just do the rods. It won't be any where near $8K either.

Just make sure he diagnoses the cause for the bearing failure too.

Good luck on a suckie situation

Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM
perryg114
More Turbo
Do an oil analysis and see what they say. You may have a contamination issue. Blackstone laboratories is a good place to get one done and it costs around $20. Rod bearings just don't fail. The rod bearings should be the last thing to go.

Perry

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by perryg114
Rod bearings just don't fail. The rod bearings should be the last thing to go.

Perry
Agreed. I've NEVER seen any modular with bad rod bearings that wasn't abused by over-revving or ran low of oil.
JL

Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
9mpg
Senior User
Remove oil pan

If rod bearings have indeed failed, you must grind the crank and install oversized bearings. Rod bearing clearances are thousandths of an inch, not something you will be able to spot without a micrometer. If the bearings were really gone, they can and will damage the connecting rods(when the crank bangs around in the connecting rod it can make the opening egg shaped).

OR

Are you a victim of a lazy tech.... the ones who hear a knock and say you need a new long block or feel a transmission slip and say you need a reman transmission.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like oil was never changed, low oil pressure, hotrodding, water in the oil, overheating and prolong use, or the guy that diagnosed it was imagining things; probably the latter.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM
AntonioCm1983
Freshman User
Problem with this

Remove oil pan

problem is the v10 is sitting on cross brasing and the cross brasing is welded to frame rails and there is only 1/8 of a inch from the oil pan and the cross brasing not enough room to take oil pan down no way to get to oil pan unless your pulling engine out of truck especially in the 4x4 excursions there no room to pull oil pan because how close the cross brasing is to the pan itself

Old 01-21-2018, 03:48 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Here I was hoping the OP came back for a final resolution. Have to give him time, it's only been 8 years.

Quick Reply: V10 Rod Bearings going out