2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Tow package upgrade after purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:08 PM
BigMick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow package upgrade after purchase?

Hi guys, first post here in a long time. Couldn't remember my old account name...

Anyhow, I just purchased a 2010 Expy EL Eddie Bauer edition. Came with the regular tow package? (hitch and 4 pin connector) Is it possible to upgrade to the heavy duty package? I need the 7pin connector and tranny cooler.

Thanks

Mike

Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Aftermarket coolers are easy to install.
Try Ed the parts guy first for what you need.
Partsguyed http://partsguyed.com
Other choice at etrailer.com
2010 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty Transmission Coolers | etrailer.com
7 way wiring;
Ford Replacement OEM Tow Package Wiring Harness, 7-Way Tow Ready Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 118242

Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 PM
BigMick
New User
Thanks for they reply and links.

If I add the cooler and upgrade the hitch, will this alone allow me to tow more than 6k?

Thanks

Mike

Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
SilverBulletZ06
New User
I think the tow package came with Oil/Tranny coolers. So grab just monitor oil temps.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I added a set of gauges to my van that includes a trany temp gauge.
[IMG][/IMG]
They are in an "A" pillar mount.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 AM
chuck s
Elder User
The HD towing package includes the HD engine coolant radiator, HD transmission oll radiator, wiring package and (maybe) a Class IV receiver at the rear. The engine and transmission radiators are Ford parts and just replace what you have. The wiring may be at least partially there, my wiring diagram isn't handy but it's common for the blue brake wire to be back there. "Blunt cut, dipped, and taped."

You have to lay on your back to see the trailer hitch receiver data plate. This is the HD tow version. There might be a lighter version but I don't have one to look at. Easy to check your truck.

Look under the dash board for the trailer brake controller connector. If it's there there is a good possibility the blue wire is back there (somewhere).

The blue thingy in the Can buss port is a data capture device I used to record engine coolant temperatures a couple of years ago. It's now on my Explorer to monitor my college girl's speeds...

Here's how I monitor some critical temperatures:

-- Chuck

Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM
BigMick
New User
Thanks Chuck,

Thats what I was afraid of. I got such a good deal on this vehicle that I figured I could just add the additional parts to increase the towing capacity. I'm no mechanic and this might be out of my league.

Thanks again

Mike

Old 11-29-2010, 03:44 PM
scottmeiners
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have/had the same issue. The blue wire should be back there, I was able to find it on my 09. I just bought a 7 pin adaptor at autozone and hooked it up. It wasn't too difficult. The only wires that are not there are the 12 volt and reverse lights. I think the 12 volt needs to be run from the engine comparment. My truck does not even have the smaller trany cooler, so when I finally get my travel trailer I am going to need add a cooler. I few months ago, I got a price from ford but it was rather high > $400. I figured that a transmission shop could probably do it for cheaper. After this, I think I should be able to pull over the 6000 pound limit with no problem since the drive train is the same. As for the brake controler, I just borrowed one from my father in law who has an f150 and it just plugs right into that gray connector once you have the correct end on the controller.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM
BigMick
New User
Thanks scottmeiners,

I just ordered the 7-pin adapter from Ford Replacement OEM Tow Package Wiring Harness, 7-Way Tow Ready Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 118242

I can't seem to find the tranny cooler (normally located in front of the radiator? My Expy has a huge gapping hole. Guess I need to order the cooler also. Haven't been to Ford yet, kind of out of the way for me.

Thanks for all the help, this forum is a great source of information.

Mike

Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM
scottmeiners
Cross-Country
I may be wrong, butI don't think that harness will not work on your expy, unless they changed things on 2010. This is what I needed to use.

Amazon.com: Hopkins Plug-In Simple 47185 Multitow 7:4 Adapter: Automotive

I just plugged the 4 pin into the plug, stripped and connected the blue brake wire and found a place to attach the ground.

Hopefully the one you got will work for you.

btw, it looks like you have the same issue with the transmission cooler as I do. The bracked to hold it is there, but no cooler.

Scott

Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM
BigMick
New User
I just figured out that I purchased the wrong part. No big deal, I can return it. Thanks Scott. I looked under the rear of my truck and didn't see the wire connector that I excepted to see, thats when I figured I had the wrong part.

mike

Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 AM
BigMick
New User
Originally Posted by scottmeiners
I may be wrong, butI don't think that harness will not work on your expy, unless they changed things on 2010. This is what I needed to use.

Amazon.com: Hopkins Plug-In Simple 47185 Multitow 7:4 Adapter: Automotive

I just plugged the 4 pin into the plug, stripped and connected the blue brake wire and found a place to attach the ground.

Hopefully the one you got will work for you.

btw, it looks like you have the same issue with the transmission cooler as I do. The bracked to hold it is there, but no cooler.

Scott
Scott,

Can you provide a picture of how you attached the connector to the hitch. I'm not sure how attach.

thanks

Mike

Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 AM
scottmeiners
Cross-Country
I'll see if I can get a picture, but until then, I will try and explain what I did.

I just pulled out the 4 pin plug from it's bracket, then to attach the new 7 pin adaptor, I drilled 2 wholes through the existing bracket and then modified the holes on the new 7 pin bracket so I could just attach it with the included hardware. It was a little tricky because you need to make sure that everything will fit. I just didn't want drill into hitch assembly.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM
BigMick
New User
I'll have to take a look at it tonight when I get home.

Thanks for your help

mike

Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 PM
chevy24d
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BigMick
Hi guys, first post here in a long time. Couldn't remember my old account name...

Anyhow, I just purchased a 2010 Expy EL Eddie Bauer edition. Came with the regular tow package? (hitch and 4 pin connector) Is it possible to upgrade to the heavy duty package? I need the 7pin connector and tranny cooler. Thanks Mike
Mike - you may want to browse this website for some info.

2007 Expedition trailer wiring - Ford Expedition Forum

Mark

Quick Reply: Tow package upgrade after purchase?