1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Help with Diagnosis of Cruise Control Issue Requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
wrd0225
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lord Dark Star, did you get your cruise control working?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
wrd0225
Senior User
I am also having trouble with my cruise control. Did you get yours fixed. How do you test the spd control amplifier?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Lord Dark Star
New User
Talking Solution to Cruise Control Issue Found!!

I finally got around to working on the cruise control issue with my '86 F-150. My suspicion was that the issue involved the vacuum dump switch that is actuated when the brake pedal is depressed. In my case, this switch was fully opened when the brake pedal was in its resting position (foot not on the brake). With a little help from a local Ford dealer's parts department, I found that to adjust the switch, one has to depress the brake pedal, then push (not twist) the switch towards the brake pedal as far as possible (somewhat difficult, but not impossible). The brake pedal is then released and should return to its resting position and automatically adjust the 'throw' of the vacuum dump switch. If successful, the vacuum dump switch is fully depressed. When the brake is actuated, the switch opens dumping the vacuum to the cruise control. The cruise control on my truck now works!(yea) I hope this information will prove helpful for others with a similar issue.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Thanks for posting what seems to have worked!

Rep points for that.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad that was it. FWIW, I actually own a Rotunda tester for the vacuum cruise control systems.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:46 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
This Simple Adjustment Solved My Cruise Problem Also!!

Originally Posted by Lord Dark Star
I finally got around to working on the cruise control issue with my '86 F-150. My suspicion was that the issue involved the vacuum dump switch that is actuated when the brake pedal is depressed. In my case, this switch was fully opened when the brake pedal was in its resting position (foot not on the brake). With a little help from a local Ford dealer's parts department, I found that to adjust the switch, one has to depress the brake pedal, then push (not twist) the switch towards the brake pedal as far as possible (somewhat difficult, but not impossible). The brake pedal is then released and should return to its resting position and automatically adjust the 'throw' of the vacuum dump switch. If successful, the vacuum dump switch is fully depressed. When the brake is actuated, the switch opens dumping the vacuum to the cruise control. The cruise control on my truck now works!(yea) I hope this information will prove helpful for others with a similar issue.
Bumping up this old thread because it works!

My cruise had been working well, then it started being fussy ... sometimes working, sometimes not ... and then it quit entirely. The whole system (module, harness, tilt column and wheel, etc.) is a transplant from a donor truck, much like all the options I wanted on Clyde but it didn't have as OE.

I finally got around to digging into it. I had disappointing results running through the diagnostic tests from the service manual (I have a complete set that I acquired years ago) and was ready to give up but I decided to give FTE a try and hit this thread. Crawled under the dash one more time, made this quick and easy adjustment and the test drive was a success. I'm still smiling and it was three days ago!

THANK YOU Lord Dark Star!
Thank you FTE!
and thanks to all the others who participated in the past, the ancient past and in the present to make this site such a valuable asset to us old truck lovers.

The information is here, you just have to look for it!

Old 09-05-2016, 06:29 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you check with the wheel off, there needs to be THREE brushes in the column, two are next to each other on the right side, and a smaller one closer to the center of the column.
My cruse never worked either, until Gary pointed out I did not have the "ground brush" for the cruise. installed the ground brush and TA, DA.... Cruise works!

Ya Need the one marked in Purple, (I think, it's been a while) without it....no cruise....

Old 05-29-2022, 02:53 PM
mackendw
Mountain Pass
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Dark Star

I know this is an older thread...but here goes... I have an 87 F150 with the 5.0L and my cruise is also not working. When you say above that you pushed the switch towards the brake pedal while the brake pedal was depressed, is the switch on some sort of slide assembly that you loosened to move it? after moving you presumably tightened it up? correct?

Old 05-29-2022, 03:08 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,788 Posts
It did not sound like he had to loosen anything.
It sounds like you push the brake pedal down as far as it will go.
Then you push the CC switch to the pedal all the way and this un-locks the adjusting part so it will move back up but don't you move it!
You let the brake pedal back up and this pushes the CC switch back up (adjusting) till the pedal stops locking the CC switch in place.

I could be wrong but that is what I got from reading his post from 11 years ago.
Dave ----

Old 05-29-2022, 04:47 PM
mackendw
Mountain Pass
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Is this the vacuum line and switch in question that needs to be moved forward?? the flat rectangular plate that the white round plastic rod is touched by is the
brake pedal...right? so from my perspective, would you not be pushing the switch mechanism down towards the brake pedal when it's depressed, then when
it's released it would depress the white rod releasing any vacuum built up... I think that is what you saying Dave.

Last edited by mackendw; 05-29-2022 at 05:01 PM. Reason: to include the image
Old 05-29-2022, 08:48 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Yes kind of if I under stand you right.
The white part is the plunger part that hits the pedal.
The black part or the body of the switch is what needs to be pushed to the pedal when the pedal is pushed down.
Then when you let the pedal up it will push the black body up till the pedal stops.
at that point the black body should be locked in from what I under stand.

I dont have CC, wish I did, so I dont know this for sure.
Dave ----

Old 05-29-2022, 09:54 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,674 Likes on 1,353 Posts
However the switch works, the vacuum part of it releases the vacuum when the brake pedal is depressed. This quickly exhausts the vacuum out of the servo so the throttle drops back quickly. If the vacuum switch is not adjusted correctly, it can be a big vacuum leak and the servo will never be able to pull the throttle cable.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:43 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Franklin2
However the switch works, the vacuum part of it releases the vacuum when the brake pedal is depressed. This quickly exhausts the vacuum out of the servo so the throttle drops back quickly. If the vacuum switch is not adjusted correctly, it can be a big vacuum leak and the servo will never be able to pull the throttle cable.
Or worst not turn off the CC when you step on the brake pedal
Dave ----

Old 05-30-2022, 11:40 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,674 Likes on 1,353 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Or worst not turn off the CC when you step on the brake pedal
Dave ----
It will turn off, but it will just slowly release the throttle.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:59 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Franklin2
It will turn off, but it will just slowly release the throttle.
So if the plunger was not moved when the pedal was pushed how would it slowly release the throttle?
Dose the brake light feed back to the "brain" and start to cut back vacuum?
Dave ----

Quick Reply: Help with Diagnosis of Cruise Control Issue Requested