1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Interesting Body Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:58 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting Body Mods

I ran across this on fleaBay tonight:

Ford : Other Pickups - eBay (item 320622446003 end time Dec-02-10 21:06:02 PST)

I kind of like the color and the shaved bumpers, but I'm not so sure about the "glassing in job" that was done on all the body seams. Every seam on the truck has been filled and it now essentially has a 1-piece body with the exception of the hood, doors and tailgate. It sure is slick and I love the look, but unless you drove it around on a piece of glass, I don't think it would last very long. Unless the frame was completely boxed, I would think that it crack like an egg the first time the frame flexed - which would be the very first pothole or speed bump. Anybody else ever see anything like this?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I agree. That would crack like an egg at Sunday morning breakfast just going up and down my gravel driveway.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:39 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does look good. Probably took a number of labor hours to achive. That is a scary thought that it could possibly crack that easy.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I don't want to sound harsh but to me this thing looks like a bucket. The paint job looks like it was hosed on, it needs more than wet sanding and a buff. It has major orange peel on the interior and tailgate. Just from the pictures posted it looks like it was mudded and sprayed. I really have to wonder what the quality of the body work is like.

I would have pulled all of the old wiring out before doing the body and paint work. Now some one is going to have to pull the old wiring and in the process expose areas that were covered by the old wiring harness. It looks like the interior was just hosed down without doing any masking, there's overspray on the steering column and wheel. There's a lot of work that has to be done for the BIN of $12K, which I would assume his reserve is close to. Also, as mentioned, as soon as this truck hits the slightest bump in the road it going to start to crack at all the seems. Even if the seams were welding these bodies were made in many parts with a lot of movement, the stress on the welded sheet metal is going be enormous.

I know I sound mean tearing this truck apart but there have been many nicer eBay trucks torn apart on this board. $12K, IMO, is way too much for this truck.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Here's another one that really irritates me. The seller doesn't even want to acknowledge it's not even a 1950 model to begin with. And, I'm sorry, 17 bids on that truck totalling over 12 grand right now sounds very shady to me.

Ford : F-100 - eBay (item 320620233213 end time Nov-30-10 19:18:43 PST)

Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 AM
thndrroad70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I don't want to sound harsh but to me this thing looks like a bucket. The paint job looks like it was hosed on, it needs more than wet sanding and a buff. It has major orange peel on the interior and tailgate. Just from the pictures posted it looks like it was mudded and sprayed. I really have to wonder what the quality of the body work is like.

I would have pulled all of the old wiring out before doing the body and paint work. Now some one is going to have to pull the old wiring and in the process expose areas that were covered by the old wiring harness. It looks like the interior was just hosed down without doing any masking, there's overspray on the steering column and wheel. There's a lot of work that has to be done for the BIN of $12K, which I would assume his reserve is close to. Also, as mentioned, as soon as this truck hits the slightest bump in the road it going to start to crack at all the seems. Even if the seams were welding these bodies were made in many parts with a lot of movement, the stress on the welded sheet metal is going be enormous.

I know I sound mean tearing this truck apart but there have been many nicer eBay trucks torn apart on this board. $12K, IMO, is way too much for this truck.

I agree 100% as if the paint looks that bad I would be willing to bet the Bodywork was not that great either and even if those seams are welded that truck is gonna crack like a hard boiled egg.....

Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" seems appropriate here...

Nice job on the radio, as usual... didn't even bother to pull the speedo out before paint? Absolutely nothing done underneath. I don't know that it can be recovered, it's patch panel material now.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:39 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
Here's another one that really irritates me. The seller doesn't even want to acknowledge it's not even a 1950 model to begin with. And, I'm sorry, 17 bids on that truck totalling over 12 grand right now sounds very shady to me.

I wonder if it's titled as a '50 because that's the title he could find for it. My favorite part of the discription, " IT HAS BEEN RESTORED FROM THE GROUND UP, A FRAME OFF RESTORATION." It must have been one of those rare '50s Ford that came with a Nova front clip and small block Chevy engine. To me a restored vehicle is restore using original parts.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:50 AM
thndrroad70
Senior User

I dont know if I can agree on this one as it actually looks like a pretty nice job from the pics but pics can be very decieving as is not the case with the blue truck , even though the term restored is loosely used now days I will say that if it was an old field truck that was brought back to life than it has still been restored in a way even if it has been Hotrodded while doing so....

Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts

I'd hate to be an out-of-state buyer trying to get that re-titled

Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I wonder if it's titled as a '50 because that's the title he could find for it. My favorite part of the discription, " IT HAS BEEN RESTORED FROM THE GROUND UP, A FRAME OFF RESTORATION." It must have been one of those rare '50s Ford that came with a Nova front clip and small block Chevy engine. To me a restored vehicle is restore using original parts.
But here's the tragedy of that particular truck. It resembles that truck on the new "restoration" show on the history channel. And God only knows how many guys across this country have said to their wives "I want a truck like that". So, it being Christmas time, some lady will buy that and then her man will be stuck with a BIG problem when he goes to title the truck his woman paid way too much for.

EDIT: Ross, I see you think like me. Somebody is gonna have a big problem at the DMV if anybody questions it.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by thndrroad70
I dont know if I can agree on this one as it actually looks like a pretty nice job from the pics but pics can be very decieving as is not the case with the blue truck , even though the term restored is loosely used now days I will say that if it was an old field truck that was brought back to life than it has still been restored in a way even if it has been Hotrodded while doing so....
Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't even pay close attention to the body work on that truck. It has a much BIGGER problem. It isn't even a 1950.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 AM
thndrroad70
Senior User
Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't even pay close attention to the body work on that truck. It has a much BIGGER problem. It isn't even a 1950.
LOL Sorry, I didnt even realize that, I dont know much in terms of year differences of the early model trucks ... but it looks pretty good anyway...

Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I was browsing back through ebay tonight and noticed that seller of the "1950" black truck that I linked above has changed the name of his auction. Now it just says something like hotrod truck and doesn't specify the year.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all EARL PAINT and no frame !!

Quick Reply: Interesting Body Mods