1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

how do i make my diesel smoke more?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, Maybe lets help the guy instead of just trashing him. Everyone here that has upgraded injectors rolls coal. So the answer to his question is upgrade the injectors to something bigger and get a custom tuned chip. If your worried about "wasting fuel" you probably shouldn't be getting larger injectors at all.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Benny D
New User
true didnt think bout that..

Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no reason to help someone whose sole goal is the blow black smoke.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:22 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
and so you plan on fixing stupid or what?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Benny D
true didnt think bout that..
What kind of mods do you have? Intake exhaust guages chip? Do you have an auto tranny? Personally I would go with stage 2 injectors you can have them detuned on your chip until you beef up your trans and get a turbo and hpop or run it till the trans goes and get a BTS! It gets expensive to play with these trucks. Not like a dmax that puts out over 500rwhp with just a chip. But yes injectors and the right mods your truck will run so much better but it gets expensive quick. And more smoke. It will also tow much better

Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by JamesHajek
and so you plan on fixing stupid or what?
thats so true james! we all put larger injecters in to increase fuel, when you do that you get smoke, some do it for power some do it for smoke, with the chip you can control how much smoke you make or fuel you burn, we all roll coal, and if we didnt we would all be lieing,

Old 11-28-2010, 10:47 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Muktown
What kind of mods do you have? Intake exhaust guages chip? Do you have an auto tranny? Personally I would go with stage 2 injectors you can have them detuned on your chip until you beef up your trans and get a turbo and hpop or run it till the trans goes and get a BTS! It gets expensive to play with these trucks. Not like a dmax that puts out over 500rwhp with just a chip. But yes injectors and the right mods your truck will run so much better but it gets expensive quick. And more smoke. It will also tow much better
x2 with muktown

Old 11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
well basically, you got the black smoke thing LIGHTLY, if you asked this at say...another forum i have in mind youd get your **** reamed LOL

black smoke looks cool sometimes, if you want to show off to your buddys or at a party or something, but truth is, once you have smoke you dont want it any more. the best way to smoke is add a whole bunch of fuel and less air, you can get chips that add fuel and retard timing and that will smoke, wont move to save its life, my old tow setting smoked like a pig on stock injctors and just didnt move.

more fuel is more strain on turbo, so it would die much faster if your aiming for more power and to smoke alot.

the new trucks smoke more because they have common rail setups that allow 350+ additional rear wheel horse power. our crap stoneage injection system is good for a whopping 100hp if done correctly lol

its much more impressive if you see a diesel that can run 12s or 13s smokeless thann a truck that runs the same time just killing the tracks air!

YouTube - 11 Second Run in Common Rail Cummins

perfect example, truck on the left smokless! and kicked the truck onthe right that just blew 30$ in fuel. the more smoke you have the more the fire actually goes out, burning fuel is more hp.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree 100% with you rideracelivemx7..............Id rather see a truck that runs like a raped ape and not blow any smoke than one that rolls black smoke and won't get out of its own way........we have a bunch of those around here and it really sux to pull up along side of one of them on a bike..............These kids dont get the fact that all that black smoke is just their $$ being blown out the pipe as unburned fuel............

Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
well basically, you got the black smoke thing LIGHTLY, if you asked this at say...another forum i have in mind youd get your **** reamed LOL

black smoke looks cool sometimes, if you want to show off to your buddys or at a party or something, but truth is, once you have smoke you dont want it any more. the best way to smoke is add a whole bunch of fuel and less air, you can get chips that add fuel and retard timing and that will smoke, wont move to save its life, my old tow setting smoked like a pig on stock injctors and just didnt move.

more fuel is more strain on turbo, so it would die much faster if your aiming for more power and to smoke alot.

the new trucks smoke more because they have common rail setups that allow 350+ additional rear wheel horse power. our crap stoneage injection system is good for a whopping 100hp if done correctly lol

its much more impressive if you see a diesel that can run 12s or 13s smokeless thann a truck that runs the same time just killing the tracks air!

YouTube - 11 Second Run in Common Rail Cummins

perfect example, truck on the left smokless! and kicked the truck onthe right that just blew 30$ in fuel. the more smoke you have the more the fire actually goes out, burning fuel is more hp.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I had an Edge Evolution for a while. Sure, it smoked, but i realized that when I pulled the program I had MORE power. If you all want to do is have a truck that smokes, then buy a 2nd Gen. Cummins and take the fuel plate out. Alot cheaper and plus then it won't make ford drivers look like morons.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:16 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow guys... Wow. To those of you who were banging on wanting to blow black smoke... I'm sure most, if not ALL, of us have been there! I used to obsess about blowing smoke and a lot of it. Still to this day I do catch myself rolling some just for fun here and there. Waste of fuel, yes... Do I do it just for fun all over a ton of people, not any more, but some morons do catch it when they tick me off. What i'm trying to say is, cut the guy a break. A lot of us wanted smoke at one point.

James, Jason, Justin, Steve... Thanks for answering the question and not tearing into this guy. I like to see that from our members here. Help the guy with what he wants, but inform him that power without the smoke is pretty cool also.

Benny, some people are getting pretty touchy on the whole smoke issue.. See there are getting to be A LOT of people that just like to go around clouding up streets with smoke and blowing it all over people for no reason. Some of them answered your question well though. Injectors is the only way to get more smoke AND POWER. Stage 1's are a nice upgrade if your not looking for tons of power and they do make some smoke before the turbo spools. They are cost effective and are safe with the stock turbo and fuel system.

You should probably do the FPR shim to get fuel pressure up where it needs to be. You already have a good chip so you will need to send that back to Jody to be reburned for stage 1 injectors

Your HPOP will run the stage 1's, but a 17* or Terminator modded 17* would get the most from the injectors. These mods can get you close to 350hp and will still tow pretty good.

If you have an automatic transmission, you might want to watch it with bigger injectors. More power can/will tear up the tranny pretty easily. If you have a manual transmission, you will be needing a new clutch before long to hold the power. Look up Valair clutch for this if you have a manual trans.

You will also be needing guages. Boost, Pyro, and trans temp(trans temp is for auto transmission only. Not needed with manual trans). With added fuel(chip or injectors or both) exhaust temps can get out of control(1200*+) and when temps get that high for extended periods of time you can melt a piston leaving you with a hefty rebuild on your hands. Get these and keep an eye on the pyro, especially when towing.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
This will catch me a ton of flak, but if you just go to youtube and type in "rollin' coal", you'll see a ton of videos and the accompanying comments from self-proclaimed diesel experts that will tell you all about how to make thick, black clouds of soot.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
going to "larger" injectors doesnt nessesarily mean terrible milage, i went from 160cc stage 1s to same cc 80% nozzels and my milege went from 16-17 to 18-19city and highway is ~21-22mph unloaded. ive drove like a complete *** and beat the snot out of my truck in level 5 for a week and saw a 30 mile drop in total miles. i get about 280 out my 16 gallon tank on average but thats all city, driving 5 miles turning off, turn back on drive 3 miles, back 6 miles. small town high way goes upwards 350

Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
going to "larger" injectors doesnt nessesarily mean terrible milage, i went from 160cc stage 1s to same cc 80% nozzels and my milege went from 16-17 to 18-19city and highway is ~21-22mph unloaded. ive drove like a complete *** and beat the snot out of my truck in level 5 for a week and saw a 30 mile drop in total miles. i get about 280 out my 16 gallon tank on average but thats all city, driving 5 miles turning off, turn back on drive 3 miles, back 6 miles. small town high way goes upwards 350
first and last jab.......
you have a picture of your truck smoken...don't ya?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

better mileage with stage 1's?

Quick Reply: how do i make my diesel smoke more?