Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Posting Guru

fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do I change my location setting so that it shows?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Posting Guru

BlueOvalRage is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BlueOvalRage is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Jordan, i think I found the animal you are searching for, but I doubt that you'll be thrilled with the $120 pricetag. It is part# 03801 on this page:

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_sear...Heater- Motors

Click the image to open in full size.

Two speed reversible 12 volt. It actually has 5 wires, but I'm sure you could make it work if the motor would physically fit the heater. The label is a little fuzzy in the pic, but i can make out FASCO. I think I've got a FASCO catalog here in my office somewhere. Maybe i can find the OE part number and you can source it somewhere else for less $$$$.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Posting Guru

Joe, how do you find these things?? 120 is a little steep, but at least i know they are making them! but one thing i started to think about tonight is what kind of switch to use? I would like to find one that will fit the original hole, but not be ugly. The original switches are great except they do not get along with 12v due to that resistor
Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Posting Guru

BlueOvalRage is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BlueOvalRage is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Joe, how do you find these things??
What can I say? I'm just a resourceful kind of guy! I remembered seeing it last winter when I was digging around trying to find a suitable 12V replacement for the Magic Air heaters. Oddly enough, Sacramento Vintage had that, too. Give me a little bit and I may be able to find that same motor elsewhere for less cheese. You could probably reuse the original switch and route the current for the slower speed through a remote dropping resistor. There are all kinds of them available from the various OEM's. That's the easy part. Motor first, switch later.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Posting Guru

OK, the FASCO part# of the exact motor that SacVin is peddling is 2807-510-146. It looks like that motor fits school bus heaters and is fairly common. The cross reference is Grand Rock part# GR157. Here's a link to their website with all the motor dimensions:

School Bus Heater Motor

Apparently, SacVin has a pretty chunky markup on them. Does about 20 bucks sound a little more reasonable? Have a look here:

Show Product
Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Posting Guru

now my jaw hurts from it hitting the table!!!! Glad to see that!! that is most certainly in my price range!! ill go out and measure the original case. Also what is the 5th wire for?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:09 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
A ground? Some heaters are mounted in a plastic case, no good connection to ground.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
A ground? Some heaters are mounted in a plastic case, no good connection to ground.
Most of these motors have a dedicated ground wire in light of the possibility that they will be mounted with rubber shock mounts - negating a good through-case ground. In heaters like ours that wire was simply attached to the metal heater case with a sheet metal screw.

If this heater is isolated, the wire could be extended outside the case and have a bullet connector to attach.ground it to the firewall behind the heater.

Crazy, but doable...LOL!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Posting Guru

Well the motors with 4 wires has a wire for a ground so im still left with an extra wire. I guess ill have to buy one and tear it down!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Maybe a 3 speed motor?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Posting Guru

I was thinking that maybe one is for ground, one is for forward one is for reverse and the other two are for faster speeds in each direction?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Posting Guru

If you look at the picture link directly from SacVin's website at the link I listed above it lists what combination of wires will do what. If I remember correctly, the black wire isn't a ground. It's actually used for one of the speeds. I think the difference here is that this motor is actually wound to provide two different speeds in each direction without a resistor at all. I also ran across a single speed reversible 12V motor with three wires when I was searching for that one. It might be electrically closer to what you actually have, but you'd need a resistor for a slower speed like the original setup.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Posting Guru

That is why the stock switch has a resistor in it, but what kind of switch is used for that motor?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:00 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
That's a hell of a motor for $20! I'd snap up a couple
Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Posting Guru

I most likely will buy one experimental but the switch has me real puzzled, but joe will have solution shortly i would imagine.....
Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 PM