1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

heater blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:02 AM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the 48-50 heaters, The ones that were not fresh air had reversible motors, but it sounds like yours is something else. Ill let you know when I see the pic.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM
WASHINGTON FERREIRA
Junior User
Friends, need help

I'm trying to get the speedometer for my Ford F1 1951, but it is hard to settle the payment with the seller, he does not want me to spend a bank account number, asked to send a money order, but here in Brazil, we have an agreement with such service with the United States. I wonder if any friend can help me. as follows, the deposit amount in the account of a friend and this passes to the seller of the speedometer. The transaction value is $ 37.00. his name is Richard Lochardt, anyone know? if any friends willing to help me only with the mediation of the payment, the rest is up to the seller. I will deposit in the account of a friend willing to help me and he in turn transferred to the seller, the easiest way there from the United States, either via mail or other means. I would like to know the value of work that his friend will, that related to taxes. Please notify me before. the seller is called RICHARD LOCHARDT its location is in Easton Maine, U.S., Canada and Perth Andover
The purchase price is $ 20.00 and $ 17.00 shipping, the total price is $ 37.00
I await a contact. Grateful. Washington Ferreira of Brazil.

Excuse my google translation

Old 11-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
What the heck is that about above?

Well anyway, back to the heater. Here's a picture. I opened the little doors to show you. This heater has a horizontal core in the bottom and a bladed fan that is mounted above it and blows air straight down through that core and into the floor of the truck. I'm guessing opening those doors give it more air flow. I'm just like you. If I could get this motor to reverse, I'd be in high cotton because it would then pull air from the floor through that core and up through my defrost ducts.

EDIT: Hey fifty-two_F1, I tried that email address and it didn't work. Well anyway I posted the picture anyway. I'd like to know what I have myself with this truck. Nothing surprises me anymore with it.

Shane

Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I don't understand the need for the reverse even after the "defrost" explanation. I've never seen one in a truck of this vintage need to do that. But as you say, there are LOTS of different heaters out there.

If it's not a 51 or 52 style Magic Air (and those did get installed on the 50 trucks by the dealers btw) then you shouldn't have any problem finding a motor that will fit - and reverse.

What kind of switch do you use with that?

Edit notes: Washington is in Brazil and asking for help with a part. There's a language challange and the post got put in the wrong place.

Also, I was typing this response while you were, I guess I understand now. The heater doesn't have a reversing motor, you just want to find one that does to improve performance.

Again, what kind of switch you going to use?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:22 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
51 or 52 style Magic Air (and those did get installed on the 50 trucks by the dealers btw)
That is interesting. Do you have any documentation to that effect? The reason I ask is my old '50 F1 that I had back in the 70's, had a '52 style square duct Magic Aire heater, but also used the '50 style, '3 leaf clover' shaped control head like you have in your truck. I didn't know the significance behind all that until I started hanging out here, but since learning all the different nuances, it's made me curious.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
I don't have any documentation Wayne. But we've had lots of discussions about the heaters and seen the later heaters installed on earlier trucks.

The fact that the heaters were factory and dealer installed is well documented. But we all assumed that if a 1950 truck was sitting on a lot after introduction of the 51 year and a new buyer wanted it with a Magic Air the dealer could take one off the shelf and install it. If all they had were 51 Magic Airs then so be it - you got a 51 heater probably with 48-50 controls so the ***** would match. We've looked at at least 4 48-50 trucks here that have the later heaters

Oddly also, my 51 Magic Aire has the earlier control panel you mentioned as well. Back then no one seamed to care as much about such details - if the thing put ou heat, GREAT!

I guess it's a little like the 50 truck that gets a title that says it's a 51 because that is the year it's first sold.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are reversible motors in the robotics hobby that might fit your application. They call them 'bi drectional' motors. They run off low voltage batteries.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I just came out of the cold weather and checked this (working on converting my pole barn into a 30 x 40 shop). Thanks for the recommendations. Hey fifty-two, does your heater look anything like that crappy picture I posted above? Like I said, I tried to email it and something wasn't right with the address or my ability to cut and paste correctly. My switch is some unknown later model pull out plunger switch that either puts full power to the fan and runs it wide open or nothing. The previous owners mounted it in the original choke position on my dash. Trust me, the importance of the defrost capabilities becomes quite clear around here this time of year. Otherwise, that little heater "will run you out of the truck". In a 10 mile trip, I'll have to switch it off 2 or 3 times to keep from melting. I think I'm gonna reverse the polarity on it with the wires just to see what happens. It'll either go or blow, lol. If it demonstrates that it can indeed reverse with a polarity change, then I'll look for a switch.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I think the reason for 4 wires was two speeds each direction?

Doc, that pictue looks like the '40's car heater and the motor that works in that is listed in my earlier post ("3-door" style car heater).

Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Let us know how the reversing the wires works to reverse the motor rotation.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
I just came out of the cold weather and checked this (working on converting my pole barn into a 30 x 40 shop). Thanks for the recommendations. Hey fifty-two, does your heater look anything like that crappy picture I posted above? Like I said, I tried to email it and something wasn't right with the address or my ability to cut and paste correctly. My switch is some unknown later model pull out plunger switch that either puts full power to the fan and runs it wide open or nothing. The previous owners mounted it in the original choke position on my dash. Trust me, the importance of the defrost capabilities becomes quite clear around here this time of year. Otherwise, that little heater "will run you out of the truck". In a 10 mile trip, I'll have to switch it off 2 or 3 times to keep from melting. I think I'm gonna reverse the polarity on it with the wires just to see what happens. It'll either go or blow, lol. If it demonstrates that it can indeed reverse with a polarity change, then I'll look for a switch.

Well, My email sucks, sometimes it works and other times its moody! Anyways, I do not have a heater like that although I would like to have one. They are cool looking. That is not the correct heater (which hardly matters) I doubt that switching the wires will work, but if you were to buy the correct 12 volt motor, you can put 4 separate wires in the case. This will enable you to reverse it. In fact I might still have the experimental 12 volt motor that was a success.

The four wires make the motor reversible by having a wire go to both field coils, and one wire to both brushes. If you get jumper cables and put power to two wires at the same time and ground the other two it will spin one way and then if you split the pairs and match them up with the opposite and put power to them the same way it will spin in the other direction. I have spent a lot of time with these reversible motors.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Sounds like you've done a lot of homework on these little motors. And yes I'd be interested in a reversible 12 volt if possible. Now you've got my attention about my heater. Ross suggested that it was from a 40's model car. I'd love to see a pic of another one or any info on its exact origin. I have to admit it looks really cool in my truck, BUT I'm really wondering if mine could possibly reverse considering it has that design AND the defrost ducts on top. I'm gonna try the reversal and see if it works (the redneck in me has to try it).

Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Go for it! never hurts to try. The reason I know what I know about these heaters is because I restore them and sell them to make a little money for the "51" project. I am 17 and a junior in high school and do not have time for a job, so I restore these heaters in the summer, build up a good stock and sell them in the winter. Even though I am behind on that.... Anyway let me know how that goes for you.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Good for you!! Most 17 year olds that I know can't check their own oil and can barely pump gas, let alone do something like that. Where do you market those heaters? I'd like to see them or at least know what you have. Where are you located?

Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
It is extremely entertaining to ask my classmates if they know how to change a tire and most of them say no! There was one kid who did not know whether to put gas or diesel in his van!! anyways I sell them on ebay most of the time. I am located in Alexandria, Indiana. I need to put that on my profile.

Quick Reply: heater blower motor