Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

advanceing timeing

Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 AM
gumper 123
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advanceing timeing

does any one have thread for proper procedure. I would like to advance timeing on my 94 idi turbo.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I've been trying to find a place to time my truck and have been told repeatedly:

With the truck off, unbolt the three IP adjustment bolts. Locate the hash mark on the IP and the hash mark on the block. Supposedly, if they're aligned right now, you can rotate the pump towards the passenger side by the width/thickness of a hash mark at a time and it will advance the timing. Someone in my thread said to rotate it towards the passenger side the width of 2 hash marks. I believe I was told there's a square slot to fit either a 3/8" drive or 1/2" drive breaker bar to assist you with rotating the pump.

I believe those instructions are to bring it into time with new injectors and a fairly fresh IP. I guess if you want to advance it even more, just keep going hash mark width at a time and see what you think. If you advance it too much, won't you sacrifice power?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mechelement
I've been trying to find a place to time my truck and have been told repeatedly:

With the truck off, unbolt the three IP adjustment bolts. Locate the hash mark on the IP and the hash mark on the block. Supposedly, if they're aligned right now, you can rotate the pump towards the passenger side by the width/thickness of a hash mark at a time and it will advance the timing. Someone in my thread said to rotate it towards the passenger side the width of 2 hash marks. I believe I was told there's a square slot to fit either a 3/8" drive or 1/2" drive breaker bar to assist you with rotating the pump.

I believe those instructions are to bring it into time with new injectors and a fairly fresh IP. I guess if you want to advance it even more, just keep going hash mark width at a time and see what you think. If you advance it too much, won't you sacrifice power?
thats pretty much what i heard to, i would like to bump the timeing up a little, but it runs pretty good right now so i guess ill leave it alone

Old 11-25-2010, 09:41 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
If you advance it too much, won't you sacrifice power?
one way to far or the other will hurt performance and fuel economy.
to much advance,and some have claimed to have ruined a set of brand new glow plugs.
i think timing by ear,is good enough to drive it to the diesel shop lol.
you'll have to be more lucky than good to get it within fords recommended specs,so claim the guys with the proper meters.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 AM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure to scribe a mark were it's set at before you adjust anything! I borrowed a buddies diesel pulse adapter to do mine, took me a few tries even with that to find the sweet spot. The end result is that since I timed it I got more power and I saw a very slight increase in fuel economy. A key indicator that your not timed right is if it doesn't rattle properly when cold. Mine now sounds like a psd when you first fire it up but mellows out as the engine warms up.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Marshall91F250
Senior User
This is where you put your wrench to assist in turning the pump. I was told by dealer 2 hash marks to passenger side is the sweet spot. Just loosen the three bolts on the front of the pump.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Marshall91F250
This is where you put your wrench to assist in turning the pump. I was told by dealer 2 hash marks to passenger side is the sweet spot. Just loosen the three bolts on the front of the pump.
Ahh, a square bit for a wrench! Thanks!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well i got to playin with mine and just started advancing until something happened, the farther i went the better it runs... i had it maxed out to the pass. side. And that is the only time i ever heard anything of PSD rattle. Maxed out i did wonder if that might have been as far as it wanted to as i did not see the power gain i did with the other advances. Although, it does seem to start a bit easier backed off a little.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:43 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I went out and checked mine, Right now im about 1/16th of an inch advanced (to pass. side) according to the default scribes on the upper left side of the IP. To me, it ran much better and definately had more power/ smoked less advanced more. But im 99% sure that my IP is fubar'd and there is some reason why im needing to advance it so far to find the "sweet spot"

Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
as a rule,they require a rebuild/replacement every 100k miles like the fuel injectors.
they are a medium ware item.

you don't want that "power stroke rattle" after warmup.only when the cold advance is on.
be careful,to much advance you can kill your glow plugs.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Im curious how the advance hurts the GP's? When i had the IP max advanced you could barely hear it rattle any louder whatsoever when the advance is on, when it was off sounded the same as before i touched it. I did notice that when cold and advance on, under load and under 2000 rpms it would almost sound kinda like detonation if you really got on it. My pump and injectors are pretty rough, ive no doubt about that, they have 272,000 on em, and im sure there is something mechanically wrong with the advance inside the pump. Basically when the internal advance is on, the thing is hardly drivable, surging and what not, and its always done this regardless of base timing.... although it is less noticable with the base timing more advanced. One thing i think i noticed was it didnt like to start as well with it more advanced which i though was odd seeing as it ran so much better and cleaner. But that may be due to my charging system issues and partially discharged batteries so who knows.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I might have to play with mine a little more.... hmm....

Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Don't get too crazy on advancing the timing. Remember the faster the pump the longer fuel is burning on the pistons. To early and you will not have enough heat to allow combustion but it will have enough heat to hurt things. You can fry a diesel by getting it too advanced. Have seen it allot over the years. Just be careful.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Otahyoni
I might have to play with mine a little more.... hmm....
careful how ya say that...some of the knuckleheads on here like to take things out of context LOL

Old 11-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johnboggs21
careful how ya say that...some of the knuckleheads on here like to take things out of context LOL

Yea...... that could end up in a sig... maybe i should change it...

Catfish, IF i move it at all, it will be just a tiny amount. It seems to run fine, so i may not touch it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: advanceing timeing