1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another piece of the puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Another piece of the puzzle

Broke away from the furniture / woodworking and had some time and $$ to spend on the last pieces of the 1ST-RIDE . Smoothie Fabrication smooth running boards . Base / clear paint . Am waiting to complete the interior before they are installed . Have some very large 3M magnetic mats that will protect the travel areas like a step pad . This way they can be removed and stuck to the underside of the running board while the truck is on public display .Now that the weather has cooled off more truck time is available . Plans are to complete the truck this winter . All that is left is the carpet and under seat areas and console that will have some trick veneer work done to them . Stay tuned . Will post pics while in progress . Later, Dennyy

Old 11-24-2010, 10:23 PM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY nice looking running boards. Looking forward to seeing them on your truck!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by AmericanROCKBREAD!
VERY nice looking running boards. Looking forward to seeing them on your truck!

So AM I !!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:43 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Those look really nice, but I'm curious as to how they attach to the running board brackets?? lets the the bottom side of those boards..

Cheers

Josh

Old 11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

With body panel adhesive . One can literally bond metal to metal with that stuff .The fastening of the boards to the fenders will keep it in place . Believe me many hrs. of laying in bed late at night for yrs.not being able to fall asleeep have resulted in all the design , engineering , results & etc. of the artwork that is known as the 1ST-RIDE . Also many of those were consumed by thoughts on how to reproduce the heater boots , e-brake cable boots and whatever else is not being made today . This started many yrs ago with the idea , design and etc. of a telescoping level of which I hold a U.S. patent . Josh , thanks for your interest , Denny

Old 11-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks super Denny!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running boards look great. I have a friend that had a magnetic sign for his service business to put on the doors of his new truck. After a while he noticed that the sign was causing little pits in his paint. He had the doors repainted and removed the sign. Hope yours will not do that to your pretty paint. I always panic when I have a new pretty paint job. Just don't want to get near it for awhile.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
I would be careful putting magnetic signs on nice paint. You know those magnetic signs people put on the back of their minivans... I had a big magnetic soccer ball and a ribbon about the troops on the back of our Dodge Caravan and when it was removed to wash the car you could still see where it was...

Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They look nice! Just hope you never have to remove them. The panel bonding adhesive can be hard to remove. Usually the panels get damaged when removed.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,118 Likes on 2,648 Posts
I've got the smoothy running boards too, I welded a fabricated piece of 16 gauge metal to the bottom of the boards and used elevater bolts to attach the boards to the brackets. When I get done shoveling the snow out of my driveway I can take some pictures this afternoon if anyone is interested.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:55 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I've got the smoothy running boards too, I welded a fabricated piece of 16 gauge metal to the bottom of the boards and used elevater bolts to attach the boards to the brackets. When I get done shoveling the snow out of my driveway I can take some pictures this afternoon if anyone is interested.
I would prefer to go with this design. Much easier to install and remove.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:38 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,118 Likes on 2,648 Posts

This is the underside of my running board, I made this simple hat shaped piece and slotted it for the elevator bolts. I plug welded them to the boards but seeing as Firstrider"s boards are all prettied up he could still do the same using the panel adhesive. I also welded stiffeners under the area you step on even though the boards are 16 gauge.