Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trasfer case shift motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:53 PM
fiddy rider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trasfer case shift motor

Hello all,
Just found this forum as I was searching for a bit of tech info. I own several fords, but the issue i'm having is with my 95 F150 XLT 4x4. The shift motor crapped out on me quite a while back, so I located a reproduction replacement and installed it. I My problem now is that it seems to not be aligned with the actual tranfer case shifts. It seems to work ok in 2wd but if I swich it to 4, it will work for a bit, then without warning the transfer case will slip into neutral, and then all hell breaks loose with gears grinding as I try to shift it back to 2 to try again. I read somewhere that the tranny control module may need to be reprogrammed after installing a shift motor? Not sure if thats my issue, or what? maybe my replacement motor is not set up properly? or I just got a dud? Has anyone else here had this issue or heard of this? I'm guessing reprogramming the tranny control system requires a trip to my local dealership? I'm thinking I might just try buying & replacing the shift motor again, but hoping I dont just end up with the same issue. I don't use the truck much so it took me quite a while before I actually needed 4wd and noticed the problem so any warranty on the part is long gone. So some ideas or a bit of advise would be much appriciated. Thanks

Old 11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Naw you don't need another motor, The shift motor has a shift position sensor, a limit switch if you will on it.

I don't have adjustment instructions per say to post for ya but its fairly self evident/explanatory if you look it over briefly.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
fiddy rider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm Im gonna have to wheel it into the shop and check that out! maybe even bust out the service manual. thanks for the input!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 PM
jimjoebob99
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with danr1 about the shift indicator on the motor (limit switch) but there might be something mechanically wrong also. There is a plate on the back side of the shift motor, made of plastic I believe, that has a few wires going into it. There are three screws around the perimeter (at least on mine) that hold it into position but if you loosen those screws, you can rotate the plate (adjusting where the shift computer thinks the shift motor is) to align it correctly.

Underneath the shift motor, the linkage that it is connected to is shaped like an arrow. I'm not sure if you remember when you had it off last but that linkage points to what position the transfer case is currently at. The positions I believe are as follows. Looking at the linkage like a clock face, 9 o'clock will be 2H. When you actuate the 4X4, it turns 90 degrees counter clockwise to the 6 o'clock position which is 4H. And putting it in the low range rotates the linkage another 180 degrees counter clockwise to the 12 o'clock position to engage 4L. I believe that when you adjust the linkage by rotating the positioning plate, you do it in 4H that way the linkage isn't limited out at either end of the transfer case's linkage range. The best way you can verify the position then would be to put it into 4H and remove the shift motor and see where the indicator is at. Vice versa you can check if there is anything mechanically wrong with the transfer case the same way. If you happen to pull the shift motor when your having the grinding issue that would verify if you have something internally wrong in the transfer case.

There is a well know issue with the oil pump inside the BW1356 transfer case failing. This causes the bushings on the range fork to wear out prematurely. This also causes excessive play in the range fork and can make it to slip into neutral and in turn cause the grinding. Don't ask me how I know because it was a long stressful ride home . Hopefully it's just an adjustment and everything will work out fine. Good luck on checking the adjustment and keep us posted.

Also, welcome to FTE. You can find all sorts of great info and a lot of knowledgeable people around here.