1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Love affair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Love affair?

I recently had someone ask me why I continued to fool with this old truck of mine. After thinking about it, I realize that this particular truck holds no sentimental value, not handed down by a relative, not my first vehicle........nothing. But these trucks do have a special place with me as a kid. We always had an old F1 or F100 work truck on the farm I lived on. I learned to drive a three in the tree 52 F1 as a 7 or 8 year old. One of the advantages of being a kid living on a large dairy farm.

I'm not a Ford, GM, or a Mopar guy. I'm just a car guy. I like what I like and it may be any brand if the look strikes my fancy. As a young teenager, I lived briefly in Carpinteria, California(1963) and being a gearhead, southern Cal. provided me with a good heavy dose of their car culture. One of my fondest memories was going to the Oakland Roadster Show, and the first thing I saw as we walked into the building was 56 F100, heavily modified, metalflake silver and green, left front wheel removed, everything in sight chrome plated, spotlights and angel hair display, and I was hooked on customized mid fifty F100's for life. That truck still lives in my mind today as clearly as the day I saw it over 40 years ago. So when you see my chopped top, sbc powered, plymouth roof skinned, fabricated bed, gm clipped truck, maybe you understand where my build evolves from.

So what's your story? What fuels your passion for these old trucks, family history, first vehicle, just a good deal that fell in your lap, or some other reason?

Drew

Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I had a 56 panel back when I was 14 years old, when I was about to turn 16 and able to apply for a drivers license my dad made me get rid of it because he said it was taking up too much space and he wanted his garage back. Living at home I didn't have much say in the matter and got rid of it. While driving home from work one day in September 99 I stopped into this guy's place that at one time been a wreckers, to see what he had and that's when I spotted a 56 pickup and panel truck, bought both of them. Do know if I'm trying to capture my youth or just finish something I started years ago. I'm like you as far as I like what I like and I like the 56 f100's, maybe because it's the first thing that I ever owned. I did the frame swap and the sbc because that was what became available to me. It's all been a learning experience and a good deal of fun and headaches as well but one I wouldn't want to be without. Good thread topic, hope everyone chips in and tells thier story.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey i thought your truck was stock, i`m not brand loyal, i`ve restored gm`s, fords and mopars, i do love my mopars but when it comes to old trucks, i like the ford styling way better, my dream truck is a 35-40`s ford, this truck has been one of the funnest projects i`ve done, i`ve learned many new skills and experimented a lot, trying to recycle parts as mutch as i can also adds a little spice to the whole package.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You buy them because they look cool and are fun to make work.

Then you drive it and people swoon. You curse at it when it strands you!

You chat with other folks that have trucks, and you are a hit with all the kids in the neighborhood.

Then, one day, you sell it - to pay an overdue bill, because the wife is tired of it, or something you think is cooler comes along.

And you hate yourself for the rest of your life for selling it.

So, in a few years one comes along that was almost as nice as yours and you tell yourself "that's cool and I would like to have anothere one." And you buy it.

That's the way the rest of your life goes - Happily ever after!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I grew up with my dad having and driving a '49 f1. At the age of 14 bought my first car '68 Datsun and had my second '60 Studabaker by the age of 15. I ended up trading both my cars for my dads truck. I drove it thru High School and after until about mid 80's, when I sold it to a friend... He sold it about a year later in Tempe, AZ (Old 425cu in and T400 trany, anyone knowing anything about it please let me know). And I've missed it ever since I sold it... almost bought another one at least a dozen times, but life keeps dealing other ideas(Kids). I'm hoping to find another one soon. Wish I could find my old one either to get or just to find out if it's still around. I've owned many different brands of cars trucks and bikes... But if it's old I love the Fords first... Sorry all I don't like the any ford trucks newer than a '65. I currently own Chevys and a Harley And looking for a Old F-1 currently....

Dead On Julie!

Last edited by Moe Craig; 11-24-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 11-24-2010, 02:27 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Drew good post. When I was about 9 years old this white truck used to sit at this apartment complex on flat tires. I would ride my bike down to stare and over time got brave enough to go up to it and stare in the window. Finally I meet the owner. Found out he was a distant relative and got the truck in a trade for a motorcycle. The truck was a white 56 F100 Swindow truck. Well as I become a teenager my interest got turned (darn girls ) but never fear once I got them figured and the costs associated with I drifted back to the trucks. What I found when I started looking was a 53, then I moved onto my 55' and now I have everything to do the 56' including a title, registration, and antique plate except a Bed and passenger rear fender and back bumper.
Like you I am open to all old cars and trucks some I like a whole lot more than others. Thanks for the post

Old 11-24-2010, 05:02 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read hot rod and custom car magazines as a kid in high school and i was just drawn to mid fifties F100s, especially 56s. i have had lots of different rods and fifties cars over the years and now surprise, surprise i finally have a 56 panel. I guess eventually we all come back to what we love, even if we dont really know why.
But i must admit, its been 40 years since i was in high school.

cheers from downunder John

Old 11-24-2010, 05:32 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
the love of my life is natalie a 1959 dodge coronet four door,i bought it when i was 18 then i started fixin it and one day i had it parked at the apartment comple and the a**hole owner called the tow truck,i lost the car(i hope that basterd is rottin in hell),,,i like cars mostly but my #1 choice for a truck would be the51/52 f1 2nd 46/47 ford truck...then any 54 or older truck...

Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Ford guy .. I like a challenge and my ford's give me that..all 7 of them ..started at 14 with a 49 mercury with a blown motor for 25 bucks lost my workshop to my sister's horse..not a chev fan..just because ..like anything on wheels I tend to get the weird stuff like this 1954 Ford Marmon -harrington 4X4..or my 68 ranchero with a 428..on propane,,never learned gardening or stamp collecting..still have my 55 Ford meteor from High school ..1972...damm that's a long time ago....

Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Dad always had ford trucks & i learned to drive on a 51 f1 3 on the tree.my first car
was a 32 ford coupe with a olds in it,sold it bought a couple of other cars,sold them
bought a 34 plymouth coupe with suside doors &it had a caddy in it sold it got
married in 62 fast forward to 2008 i finally got my 51 f1

Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
FORD GUY TOO

My luv was and still is a Mustang. Then one day i saw a truck and said Hey thats a Sanford and Son truck. I know that guy that lives there bet i can get that cheap and i did. Took it home and parked it next to a fully restored 67 fastback and all i could see was what that old truck and all i could think about is fixing it up. WHAT CAN I SAY I'M HOOKED !!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been an automotive enthusiast since I was maybe ten. I used to get models for gifts(birthdays,christmas,etc.)
I would modify them and thats where it all started for me. My dad is/was a guy who always fixed his own stuff and he would have us boys do all the stuff we could do alongside him. My first car was a hand-me-down '74 Pinto wagon,then MY first vehicle of my own was a '68 Bronco..I miss that thing so much! then a '73 Mach 1.
I became a dad when I was 17 (yeah I know...) got married a week after graduating high school. My oldest son was a chip off the old shoulder.
He was a car nut too, we were too much alike and didn't really get along that well but we found our friendship in cars. He was an avid lover of the '86-'87 Buick Grand Nationals.
Sadly He was killed in a friends GN July 17,2005. He was 22...A rear tire(dot approved drag radial) blew out on the highway and it caused the car to lose control. It flipped end over end three times...He was ejected from the car and thats how quick life changes...he was a great kid, never in trouble( not much anyway)
I think of him everyday...its the hardest thing I have ever dealt with...
I bought a GN to honor him, but soon realized that it was his thing not mine, so I sold it and ended up with this truck. He is with me all the time, but closest to me when I'm in the garage...working on whatever is floating my boat at the time.
And to answer this question about what is the reason I have this old truck? My wife Nicolle wanted it! She bugged me about it for a good two months! Went to look at it on Easter Sunday 2010 and here we are...

In honor of my son,
Andrew Allen Filson
1983-2005
I miss you buddy....

Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So sorry to hear that, my heart goes out to you. All I can say is keep doing what you love in memory of him.

Keep up the good work.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
I see a little bit of me in each of these post. Been a car nut most of my life. Changing things and trying to get a little more power out of what ever I had. Then one day a man pulled up to the house driving an old truck, man was I hooked! When I was about 20 I bought a 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 with a hydromatic trans to restore. LOL I knew nothing about restoring an old vehicle and didn't have 2 dimes extra to rub together! Sold it untouched about 6 months later to a REAL car buff and made 500 bucks to boot! Then later I bought a 1965 corvair convertable and got serious about restoring. We didn't have internet back then so you really had to search to get answers or parts for your project. I thought I was in heaven when I stumbled onto a place in Shellburn Falls Mass. called Clarks Corvair parts and they sold EVERYTHING! It took me 7 years to fix that car up to show quality only to lose it in a divorce settlement. Then I done a 1969 VW Beetle back to all original. (what can I say, I love rear engine vehicles!) Sold it to help pay bills. But I kept coming back to wanting an old truck. Well the wife told me I better get started on one if I was going to cause I wasn't getting any younger! LOL so here I am with the 53 and a 51 waiting patiently.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Lakota,
I was working on a '65 Corvair when my 2nd daughter was born!
I was in the Navy in Va Beach, VA and was about to go to sea. My (then)
wife(now divorced from her) was in our home town here in IL.
He had the 95?? hp? single carb.
his other was a corvair corsa? or monza? it had the 180 hp turbo in it.
Yeah!...brings back memories!

Quick Reply: Love affair?