1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Only rear passenger tire spins

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
ltanksley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Only rear passenger tire spins

OK, don't think this is caused by a split differential. My 2000 Ford Ranger pick-up truck sat out in the cold all day at DISCOUNT TIRE (about 5 hours). When I got there, the driver side rear tire won't spin. I got it in reverse and it moves, but not in forward. It is a 4 cyl manual transmission and the E-brake was on when I left it in the parking lot of DISCOUNT TIRE. Have always used it with no problems. But this is my first cold winter with it. When they tried to pull it in to the shop 4 hours later, the driver's side rear tire refused to move. They had to push, pull, manipulate the truck across the ice until they could back it into a spot to change the tires over.

I believe my drums are out of round, but no squeaks, accidents, or anything proceeding this problem. I intend to get this fixed. So, the only proceeding issue is just the cold weather overnight. Went from 50's to about 25 degrees overnight. It travels great in reverse, but I can't drive home a few miles this way. This is way stupid!!! I drove around the parking lot in reverse for a good while and kept switching to forward with no luck.

I think it is the emergency brake, but not sure if it is or know how to fix it. What should I do??? I thought driving in reverse would unlock the E-brake if this is the problem, but it doesn't. I've also banged the rim with a rubber mallet a few times as well and the tire guys poured hot water on the wheel-well before kicking me out. I shot the drum, as best as possible, with de-icer before my reverse driving around and around and around their building. Still no luck. And I repeat, plenty of pick-up, torque, and traction when put into reverse. Help me out you knowledgable grunts.

Last edited by ltanksley; 11-24-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: clarifying information / spelling
Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
There are two separate emergency brake cables. One goes to each rear wheel. Sounds like the left one is bound up. Sometimes you can free it up with JB Blaster or something similar at the end of cable where it protrudes from the casing(end furthest from brake drum). Check on the drivers side on the frame and you can see the emergency cable coming from pedal and transitioning to two cables going to rear. Look at cable when set and when released. There should be some movement.Spray the ends of those cables as well to help free it up. Use a pair of vice grips to rotate cable( where it protrudes from casing) to help free it up. Another thought would be to remove wheel and try heating up drum with a propane torch. Could also use a brake drum puller. Maybe can get on a tool loan at an auto parts store (Autozone/Advance).Not uncommon for these cables to rust and bind up. Have replaced two on my neighbors 97 and one on my 03.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 PM
dklistul
Freshman User
Cold, wet weather and parking brake cables sometimes don't play well together. The problem isn't in the drum, it's in the cable. I think you got water into the left cable and it froze and won't let the brakes release. Apply some heat (heat gun/hair dryer but NOT a torch) to the cable and I bet it'll all work better.