1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GY Duratrac vs. Cooper STT vs. BFG A/T

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:21 PM
wogdiml
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GY Duratrac vs. Cooper STT vs. BFG A/T

Narrowing down tire choices to replace defective Goodyear Silent Armors with 6,000 miles (they can't balance these things) - at no cost to me. I think I'll stick with the OEM size 275/70R18 - had the 285's on my last set of BFGs and they were fine but a little shorter.

I'd appreciate feedback from people with actual experience with these tires. I've read plenty that the Duratracs don't feel very good on dry roads and tend to float, but I've seen as many reviews where somebody loved them and they felt solid. I've seen the Coopers for many years but never had any. Burned through the last BFGs in 35,000 miles which I'll take part of the blame due to some misalignment that I didn't deal with until I got the silent armors so they prematurely wore on the edges. I just don't know if the BFGs hold up as well on the big trucks as they do on 1/2 tons and jeeps.

Thanks for your time on this. I'm trying to make a good decision on this next set I get cause I don't think the tire shop is going to let me keep swapping tires out.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've gotten good milage out of the good year ats. This was before they had all the silent armor stuff. I believe they are pretty similar trad pattern. Out of curosity were the bfg tires e rated? Running load range c and d will shorten the life of the tire. At least that is what I have noticed on our work trucks that physically cannot spin the tires.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM
wogdiml
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
I've gotten good milage out of the good year ats. This was before they had all the silent armor stuff. I believe they are pretty similar trad pattern. Out of curosity were the bfg tires e rated? Running load range c and d will shorten the life of the tire. At least that is what I have noticed on our work trucks that physically cannot spin the tires.
The BFGs and current Silent Armors are both load range E, oem tire pressure.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
tbh219
Freshman User
Ive been running the Cooper STT for about 3 yrs now and love them. Just rotate them and keep them properly inflated and they will last a long time. Great tire for airing down when needed and aren't loud at all on the freeway. Ive really enjoyed having mine.

Blake

Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 PM
roverjoe
Junior User
My opinion stay far away from the Duratracs. I've got about 7k on mine and still hate them. Truck is all over the road, and they are showing a lot of wear. The problem is that they are just way too soft.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I have the cooper STT's as well. Second truck with them. Clear good in mud and work pretty good in snow as well. Last pretty good. I tow heavy and they don't heat up either.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:22 PM
wogdiml
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
I have the cooper STT's as well. Second truck with them. Clear good in mud and work pretty good in snow as well. Last pretty good. I tow heavy and they don't heat up either.
Are they able to balance these ok - seems like a common negative I see about the STTs? It seems like there are lovers of each of these tires and just about as many haters. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
mine are fine, second truck I have had them on. I get mine at a truck place that does the bigger tires on a routine basis. Has the long alignment rack so the truck completely fits on it as well.

I should note that the coopers are pricey but worth it when you are putting them thru the conditions I drive them in.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:36 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by redford
Have you considered the Nitto Dura Grappler?

Nitto Tire - High Performance Tires for Car and Truck Enthusiasts
When I pull up their website, they say I need the terra's, but they also say my truck has a factory 17" rim....ummm...no. I like the Nitto's, but their website is a little off.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Chuggster
Freshman User
I have had the Nitto Grapplers and everyone said they don't last but I had really good luck. When I got my Super Duty I wanted to try something new. I really do not like the BFGs, and the Coopers are awesome tires, but I went with the Duratracs and love them. We got 10" of snow today and they did awesome. I like the look of the tread on the too. I would recommend the Duratracs but although I have never had the Coopers are awesome tires.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 PM
ford141
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just put Goodyear Duratrac's on my Super Duty earlier this month. So far they are the best tire I've ever owned. I had BFG M/Ts on my old F150, and while I liked them and got decent mileage out of them, they were noisy on the road. The Duratracs are very quiet and ride very good compared to them. Can't comment on mileage yet since I've only got about 500 miles on them, but ride and traction are excellent. I'm not sure why everyone complains about handling with them, I'm running 315/75/16s at 40psi and 2" of lift and my truck drives just fine. Compared to the crappy Hankook M/Ts that I had on this truck previously these tires are a dream. On a side note, I just put a set of old stock 16.5 Cooper Discoverers on my '79 F350 and I really like them as well. Not a fair comparison though since the truck is mainly used for pulling.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

The bfg's will outlast all the others. You don't have to get all terrains, you can get a less aggressive one if you want. They come in e range as well.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only had the Cooper STT on my Super Duty. I ran BFG ATs on Jeeps. Seems you realize there will be a difference; however, I'll still say the Cooper STT are too soft (I have 295/70/17 D ). I wouldn't buy them again. On the heavy truck they seem to chunk off road more than the BFG MTs did and they don't do nearly as well as the BFG AT in snow (again, I'm comparing them to a couple of different Jeeps I've owned). So, for whatever it's worth, I'd shy away from the Cooper STT unless you're getting E rated tires and even then don't expect much in snow (if you drive in snow).

Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 AM
mdr617
Elder User
I am usually a BFgoodrich tire guy, but i bought a set of goodyear wrangler authoritys a/t tires from walmart for my f100...they work great

Quick Reply: GY Duratrac vs. Cooper STT vs. BFG A/T