1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Driver Side Windows willnot move up or down.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:48 PM
rjeremyj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Side Windows willnot move up or down.

I have a 1998 Ranger 4.0L - 120,000 miles.
I know the electrical system for the windows can be tricky so I want some idea as to what could be wrong with it before I start.

I of course have power windows and locks. About probably 6 months ago, all of the sudden my driver side window would not lower. Actually if I press the button for the driver or passenger side (on the driver side dual switch) neither of them go down. However, I can raise and lower the passenger side window with the switch on the passenger door.

Well, I pretty much let it slide this summer by using the AC instead of lowering the windows. But now I have a more serious problem. About 2 weeks ago I reached over to lower the passenger window and as soon as I pressed the button, the DRIVER side window lowered about 1 inch when the passenger window began to lower. I didn't think much of the issue then because the window on the driver side did not lower below the vent visor, so it wasn't really a big deal. But then it start happening more frequently when I would lower the passenger window. Now my driver side window is down almost 3/4 of the way and I can't get it back up.

What do these symptoms point to? Could it be the driver side switch, or a relay, or wiring? I have taken of the door panel and don't see any wiring damage, at least at the switch. I need to get this fixed ASAP so I don't have to drive my truck with the window down in 32 degree weather!!! Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I've not had the Drivers window go down, when pressing the Passenger side button, so it sounds like you might have a Drivers side master switch, or wiring problem.

At KOEO, while pressing the drivers side UP switch, try thumping the drivers side door panel below the switch & or flexing the wiring harness where it passes between the door & body in it's ribbed rubber boot & see what happens.

I can get my inoperable Passenger side window to raise, when flexing the wiring in the boot, so I know I have a wiring problem there. Sometmes it'll go up if I thump the door panel while pressing the UP button.

Let us know what you find.