Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2010, 11:03 AM
New User

vanduker is starting off with a positive reputation.
1995 F-150 Speedometer/Transmission Issues

I am troubleshooting a neighbors F-150. Is a 5.8 automatic with ~ 75k miles.

The speedometer stopped working, transmission started shifting hard and O/D light on shift column started blinking.

I changed the sensor in the rear end housing as the ohm value between it and the new one were substantially different. No change.

I was out for a few days so they took it to a dealer who diagnosed a bad dash cluster. The neighbor bought a salvage (believed to be good) cluster which I installed last night. No change other than the temp gauge in the replacement cluster works where the old one did not.

I'm looking at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...eedometer.html

On this truck if I hold down the reset button on the dash (the reset for the odometer) and turn the key to run - nothing happens that is different from the normal - no gauge sweep, no display at all in the mileage window.

Is this likely another bad gauge cluster? I'd sure appreciate any help.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Senior User

Xclimation is starting off with a positive reputation.
Based on my experience (assuming you have the cluster that has the PSOM):

Yes, I went through 2 junkyard PSOMs until the third one worked!

Good luck!

Post back if and how you fixed it.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not sure but i thought the 95's used the rear diff sensor only for the ABS nonsense & there was a second VSS on the side of the trans for the speedometer.

Could be wrong though.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:17 PM
New User

vanduker is starting off with a positive reputation.
87 XLT now I am confused. From what I had read I thought this truck used the rear sensor but now I also see the parts book lists one for the transmission though it shows it on the driver side rear of the trans and I do not see that on this truck. It also lists different ones if it is an analog or digital dash - this one is a digital odometer but everything else is analog - is that a digital or analog dash?

Would this sensor being bad keep the odometer from displaying anything at all?

This is what makes me think it is just the one in the rear:

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...99d78&start=15
Old 11-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If I had a 95 F-150 I would also have the FACTORY wiring diagrams for it & could tell you for sure how it's wired.

But, if you're not finding a VSS on the drivers side trasmission tail shaft then it must use the rear diff VSS for ABS/speedo/cruise control..
Old 11-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1995, bad, f150, ford, fordtruck, molular, problems, roush, speedometer, speedometers, stopped, transmission, truck, working