Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Reno View Post
So, anything w/the I6-300 (vans, Broncos, F-Series) will be a direct fit?
Assuming it uses the blue-grommet Duraspark II module, yes. DSI and DSIII modules don't count; California-emissions-equipped vehicles don't count.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Senior User

Sean_Reno is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can solder, but if I have to buy one from a yard, then I want it to be a direct-fit.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Quote:
I can solder, but if I have to buy one from a yard, then I want it to be a direct-fit.
I understand... But doing that is necessarily going to lengthen the amount of time it takes to find a "good" one. You see, much of the wiring I've run across in junk yards is crap - exposed copper wires, melted insulation, broken connectors, hacked by a PO, etc.

Do what you want and I can appreciate wanting the direct-fit (I'm generally the same way) but the fact remains it's likely going to be a while before you find exactly what you want.... you have been warned.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
Assuming it uses the blue-grommet Duraspark II module, yes. DSI and DSIII modules don't count; California-emissions-equipped vehicles don't count.
How can I tell, if they are Something other then DSII...won't vehicles withe the 2-plug Blue Module...be DSII??
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 AM

That's a good question....

DSI came about in the mid-70s IIRC (1975 sounds about right) so don't use anything from pre-1977... I seem to recall the DSI modules looking very much the same but my memory of them is hazy and I certainly don't remember the specifics, just avoid it if it's questionable.

DSIII Came out in 1980 *mostly in California vehicles* (and possibly high-altitude configurations but this is another thing I can't be positive on) and EEC-IV came about in 1984.

Best thing I can offer is, yes, the two-plug, blue-grommet box 1977-1983 49-state is what you are looking for, avoid anything else.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Senior User

I accept the warning...I'm not in a super hurry, to find a harness. I will wait to find one from an I6. I've actually found a couple online, but they wanted me to buy the whole engine harness $100+ shipping.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 AM
Senior User

Using an MSD Box, I have on my shelf is another option. I'm just not sure what I would remove/keep with this set-up.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 AM
Senior User

I have an 85...does anyone know what year trucks, I need a harness from (78-79...look different)??
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Posting Guru

LARIAT 85 has a great reputation on FTE.LARIAT 85 has a great reputation on FTE.LARIAT 85 has a great reputation on FTE.LARIAT 85 has a great reputation on FTE.LARIAT 85 has a great reputation on FTE.LARIAT 85 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Reno
I have an 85...does anyone know what year trucks, I need a harness from (78-79...look different)??
For a proper fit without modifications, you will need a harness from a 1980 - 1983 F100, F150, or Bronco that has an I6 engine. [Except for California models that used Duraspark III] these years still used Duraspark II.

Be aware that some models had a tachometer, and some didn't. A harness for a truck that has a factory tach on it will have an extra plug, and the ones that didn't have a tach will not have the extra plug in the harness.

Capiche?
*2wd, 3.55 gears
Quote:
Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM

AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85 View Post
For a proper fit without modifications, you will need a harness from a 1980 - 1983 F100, F150, or Bronco that has an I6 engine. [Except for California models that used Duraspark III] these years still used Duraspark II.

Be aware that some models had a tachometer, and some didn't. A harness for a truck that has a factory tach on it will have an extra plug, and the ones that didn't have a tach will not have the extra plug in the harness.

Capiche?
I don't believe this is correct. The wiring harness is pretty much the same from about 76/77 - 83.

The wiring harness in my '84 came from a 78, I believe.

Not only that, but nothing is different between a tach and a non-tach version. The only difference between a tach and non-tach equipped truck is the circuit board on the back side of the instrument cluster. The signals are all still there whether you have a tach or not.

My '81 came without a tach, and I simply swapped in an instrument cluster that had one and it worked immediately.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Senior User

To all: I have a harness off of a 79 F150 I6-300. The problem is, it has a large duraspark connection and a different Gray connection on the module side. I have a 4-pin, 3-pin and a 2-pin plug on my engine harness!!??
Old 02-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
To all: I have a harness off of a 79 F150 I6-300. The problem is, it has a large duraspark connection and a different Gray connection on the module side. I have a 4-pin, 3-pin and a 2-pin plug on my engine harness!!??
Pictures, please?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Senior User

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Senior User

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Senior User

The first pic, is of the engine wiring harness plugs. The second pic, is of the ignition module plug ends (module side).
Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 PM