Duraspark II Conversion - How To

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomcat45
Does the EGR stay hooked up to a vacume source, or just left in place to act as a plug?
Thanks for the quick reply.
I removed the EGR and put a thin piece of sheet metal (beer can) between them and reinstalled it. I also used high temp silicon gasket sealer.
<O</O
It is not a bad thing to have the EGR working properly, I just haven’t figured out how to do that with the stuff I currently have on my truck. I don’t think it would be cost effective to spend money on trying to fixing it.
<O</O
Jim

Old 12-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JimsRebel
I removed the EGR and put a thin piece of sheet metal (beer can) between them and reinstalled it. I also used high temp silicon gasket sealer.
<O</O
It is not a bad thing to have the EGR working properly, I just haven’t figured out how to do that with the stuff I currently have on my truck. I don’t think it would be cost effective to spend money on trying to fixing it.
<O</O
Jim
I did the same thing for blocking off the EGR valve on my truck some 10 years back. A few months back, I took it loose, and the thin metal had 2 holes burned thru it, re-enabling the EGR......
Ok, it was a soda can, since I don't like beer.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:36 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
GREAT pics! I just thought it would be helpful to link these two posts:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...wontt-run.html

Old 01-08-2011, 08:57 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great writeup. So if I am reading this right, I can remove ALL vacuum lines except brake booster and vacuum advance?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Great writeup. So if I am reading this right, I can remove ALL vacuum lines except brake booster and vacuum advance?
Not all, but most. If you have A/C (working or not) the system relies on vacuum to change from floor/vent/defroster.
You need to leave the PCV system fully intact. *Important*
There may be a few other minor things that need to stay as well.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Monte1go
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump this thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 AM
blkgolfer1
Freshman User
One more question please.

Do I have to use a distibutor that has the newer non-points and condenser version or can I use the older model with the DSII system? Also now that I think about it, what about the valve cover hose or breather that goes to the air cleaner? The rest of your write-up was fabulous and I printed it off and am doing this conversion on my 86 F150 I6.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by blkgolfer1
Do I have to use a distibutor that has the newer non-points and condenser version or can I use the older model with the DSII system? Also now that I think about it, what about the valve cover hose or breather that goes to the air cleaner? The rest of your write-up was fabulous and I printed it off and am doing this conversion on my 86 F150 I6.
I believe you have to use a DSII distributor, since it has the required wiring harness plug in, but I'm not 100% on that.

As for the hose, there's a current thread going on about that.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...vent-hose.html

Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
blkgolfer1
Freshman User
The distributor that I have that has the points and condenser has the same wiring harness plug as the DSII one. I was thinking the points and condenser type was even more "low-tech" than the DSII type. Maybe my understanding of the DSII is misconstrued and it is "low-tech" but more reliable than the points and condenser type. Any ideas?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blkgolfer1
The distributor that I have that has the points and condenser has the same wiring harness plug as the DSII one. I was thinking the points and condenser type was even more "low-tech" than the DSII type. Maybe my understanding of the DSII is misconstrued and it is "low-tech" but more reliable than the points and condenser type. Any ideas?
I'd like to see a picture of that, with cap off, as I have never ran across it.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM
blkgolfer1
Freshman User
I will see what I can do for you. I have been gone all weekend and am just catching up on things right now.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM
millboroman
New User
I recently converted my 86 f-150 to the duraspark system, I bought a new carter 1 barrel for it. The truck starts instantly, however it's only getting 8 mpg and it's flooding it's self to death idiling. I am not certain I have the vacuum lines right. I have the bottom hose to the distributor. The top one is going to the heat tube. The bottom pcv hose is going to the egr plate under carb and the top pcv port is plugged. The brake booster is fed from the large port on the tree. I have adjusted the carb to 11/2 turns out on the mixture and adjusted the idle. Do I need a new carb or what?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Leddyledford
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you have to have the motor at tdc when exchanging the distibutor?got my swap done this weekend but i can't get it to start. Not sure if it's the wiring.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 AM
uncleJim97
New User
Anyone ever heard of trying the aftermarket Ford 6 distributor that runs a GM HEI module? Thinking that it may be the better way to go since everything is incorporated into the cap and is a one wire hook up ( Not counting the tach wire. ) Found a place on Ebay that sells the one's for the small Block Ford, but not the 240/300 4.9 sixes. Hey thirty bucks plus shipping is quite appealing to the pocket book!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 AM
zombiehunter
Junior User
DUI makes an hei distributor to fit the L6 but they are a bit pricey, i use them alot on v8's super simple. Ford DUI - Street/Strip Version

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Duraspark II Conversion - How To