6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 F250 Turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Callbright
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F250 Turbo problems

Any one know what a Turbo Cost? Im getting the shaft. I picked my truck up on Wed. after having the DPF replaced $3600.00. Now today they are telling me my Turbo is out. I am so burnt out with Ford. My grand total on repairs up to date is $9319.67.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:51 PM
jimnv
Freshman User
Whoa, no warranty coverage at all? Can you start screaming "Lemon law" or something at these guys? Perhaps talk with a different dealer?

I've been trouble free so far, but I see too many of these posts where folks are getting screwed by Ford or dealers.

Post your circumstances here. there are some pretty sharp guys posting here that may assuage some of your pain.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Machinator
Senior User
Originally Posted by Callbright
Any one know what a Turbo Cost? Im getting the shaft. I picked my truck up on Wed. after having the DPF replaced $3600.00. Now today they are telling me my Turbo is out. I am so burnt out with Ford. My grand total on repairs up to date is $9319.67.

Im not saying you didnt do this but letting a truck idle for about 2-3 min after driving lets the bearings and shaft in the turbo cool which gives you 100's of thousands of worry free miles if you just drive it and turn it off any turbo will die. Not fords issue if you didnt let it cool down.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinator
Im not saying you didnt do this but letting a truck idle for about 2-3 min after driving lets the bearings and shaft in the turbo cool which gives you 100's of thousands of worry free miles if you just drive it and turn it off any turbo will die. Not fords issue if you didnt let it cool down.
This is something that's debated frequently, and I disagree.

I know turbo cool-down is important if you are towing at highway speeds, there's no doubt about it. But during the course of normal driving the turbo isn't hot enough to have a problem.

I even asked a diesel mechanic at one of my previous jobs about that and he confirmed that EGTs simply aren't that high unless you're under a real load. I used to drive tractor-trailers and have never seen a turbo go because of that, and there were LOTS of negligent drivers out there!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:02 AM
08cabela350
New User
That just makes me sick. hoping you have warrenty, I'd be screaming and I'm sure you are. Are the turbo's failure heat related ?

Considering the extremely complicated emissions system that produces substantion EGT's during a "regen" connected to a "filter" (triggered by back pressure) might contribute to turbo failure. hmmm... and when these engines are in regen then are shut off before it completes or is allowed to cool in park the engine bay and undercarriage remains crazy hot.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

If that were the case and you have no warrenty my $0.02 would be to consider a tuner and dpf/doc delete. Just the price of the filter (if they'll take it back) covers the costs and then some, read alot a good about the top 3 for 6.4 (strongly considering it my self, this may have helped make up my mind)

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Callbright
New User
Thanks guys, it seems awful coincidental that the Turbos went out the day after they replaced the DPF. I have had nothing but hell. This will bring my total cost outside of warranty to over $13,000. I only have 128,000 miles on it. My $60,000 Built ford tuff truck is costing me approx. $0.46 per mile ontop of fuel. I will never buy another ford. Ever.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Callbright
New User
And yes, I do let my truck Idle before shutting down.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Machinator
Senior User
And yes, I do let my truck Idle before shutting down.
I dont know what to say. I dont know if you have considered this but what if they were using your truck as a parts wagon for a "prefered" customer? Sabotage especially in a case such as this should be considered, ford has very close tolerances I hope they didnt just wake up and decide to build you a pos.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Callbright
New User
Back in the shop, Blowing white smoke and running like crap. I am F ing tired of it.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
seems im a little late but...
The casue of the dpf failer was most likly from the turbo(s) not working causing excessive soot load in the dpf.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 PM
henrybarron100
New User
Blowing white smoke

Back in the shop, Blowing white smoke and running like crap. I am F ing tired of it.
so what was the problem

Old 11-24-2011, 08:54 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was no problem, read all his posts and threads. TROLL

Old 11-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by ljutic ss
There was no problem, read all his posts and threads. TROLL
Yep, and keeps coming back to stir it up. Sorry,this thread is trash and a waste of time....

Old 11-24-2011, 11:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
hmmm suspect for sure. You don't just replace the dpf and then have a turbo problem.

Would be the other way around.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Dr. Rik
Senior User
UGH!

In my travles with this powerplant I have managed to see a coupe turbo failures... the first one was on a truck that never has gotten to go over 30 mph because of it being used strictly in a plant where the speed is restricted and it had never left the site in its 11,000 miles, also they were only changing the oil at 5k mile intervals... Im not sure many people can imagine the coking that was in that engine but it was a mess, i had to replace the dpf, cat both turbos and remove the turbo drain plate boil it out and reinstall, that one had been towed in for lack of power!
Now the other had come in for a lack of power, and smoke, that one I discovered the low pressure turbo had blown its seal and started pumping oil in the exhaust. I actually replaced both turbos, and the exhaust componits. that one had 99k miles on it and the warranty covered the entire repair which was over 10k $$$
These engines are expensive, the parts are expensive, and if you have a place, ANY PLACE, dealer or not trying to make repairs for you, if they lack the experiance, which with what I see more often than not, IT TOO WILL BE EXPENSIVE! I work in a dealership and I can tell you the learning curve on these engines is brutal. Fourtunatly we have a lot of fleet accounts, that are still in warranty, it gives us the oppertunity to learn. we have just scratched the surface with the issuses the 6.4's present to us. And not many people know this but even under warranty FORD doesnt pay us for everthing we do, this experiance I am gaining comes out of my pocket. Dont get me wrong I am not crying, I have been a mechanic for over 45 years, I have been to the classes, I have done the "on line" training, im being brutaly honest here If you are taking your truck to anyone "anyone who is serious about working strictly on diesels" is learning with every repair that comes in. In my shop we have 3 full time devoted Diesel tech's and the others "do" diesel cause it helps offset what they cant make working on the cars or gas pick ups. That there commitment is of a different nature, however in closing I will say which "#@$%#" me off is that when those others cannot fix the problem then we are told we have to. Think about what kind of fun that is.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: 2008 F250 Turbo problems