General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

what kind of people are Prius owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thndrroad70
Ok guys, I realize what I am up against here, I get it now!! you win!!! I am gonna run out and buy me one of them there Toyota's now so I can fit in better with you Ford people ........... Thanks for "enlightening" me...
Dude - lighten up. You aren't "up against" anything. People fought and died in wars that were about many things but certainly not about what type of cars we should drive. In fact, they ensured we had the freedom to drive what we want. My Air Force Base is loaded with cars from any number of manufacturers from Ford trucks to classic VW Beetles. There are a good number of Prius' around as well. I don't think Patriotism is measured by the type of car you drive. Twenty something year military member here but that is just my opinion.

People here are damned fond of their trucks but few of us are so narrow minded to say that Ford is the only manufacturer of quality cars.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:18 PM
thndrroad70
Senior User
Dude!! as I said before I just like and wish more folks would support American made vehicles, then you folks all jumped on me as if I said something wrong.. then it appeared as if you all mocked my thoughts on my Grandfather fighting in a war that happened 65 years ago as if because it was 65 years ago it was meaningless!!! he is 92 years old now and as strong and proud as ever and I guarantee he wouldnt agree with you either because he also lives in a closed minded world along with my Uncle who recently retired from the Military after his 3rd tour in the middle east , unfortunately I know we are on a public forum so I am gonna bite my tongue and stop now, so please no more replies to the subject, I apologize to the OP for the hijacking of the thread ... Thanks for your patriotism as a 20yr military veteran .... I will stay here in my closed minded world and keep my thoughts to myself from now on, as obviously its the most politically correct thing for me to do ..... P.S. I hate Ford cars ..... its the pre 98 Ford Trucks that got me into this forum ...

Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i dont like putting restrictions on our freedom to buy what we like either, but to me it takes away some of one character and american pride to purchase a toyota, infact i am a little embarassed to ride in my friends toyota. i prefer to keep as much of our money in america if i can.

I always tell my friend " have some self pride get rid of that toyota "

Old 11-21-2010, 04:30 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Also remember, Ford licensed the Prius technology to build the Escape hybrids... does that make them part Prius?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
Also remember, Ford licensed the Prius technology to build the Escape hybrids... does that make them part Prius?
Ford developed their own hybrid system but it was similar enough to the Toyota HSD system that they licensed it from Toyota instead of fighting with them. IIRC Toyota got some DI diesel licenses in exchange.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:04 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by thndrroad70
Dude!! as I said before I just like and wish more folks would support American made vehicles, then you folks all jumped on me as if I said something wrong.. then it appeared as if you all mocked my thoughts on my Grandfather fighting in a war that happened 65 years ago as if because it was 65 years ago it was meaningless!!! he is 92 years old now and as strong and proud as ever and I guarantee he wouldnt agree with you either because he also lives in a closed minded world along with my Uncle who recently retired from the Military after his 3rd tour in the middle east , unfortunately I know we are on a public forum so I am gonna bite my tongue and stop now, so please no more replies to the subject, I apologize to the OP for the hijacking of the thread ... Thanks for your patriotism as a 20yr military veteran .... I will stay here in my closed minded world and keep my thoughts to myself from now on, as obviously its the most politically correct thing for me to do ..... P.S. I hate Ford cars ..... its the pre 98 Ford Trucks that got me into this forum ...
Sir, no one here has jumped on you or mocked your grand father's service in the great war. Your patriotism is noted and appreciated. You are among friends. Many have served our country in a number of ways but no one here lacks patriotism........I'll guarran damn tee that one sir.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Sir, no one here has jumped on you or mocked your grand father's service in the great war. Your patriotism is noted and appreciated. You are among friends. Many have served our country in a number of ways but no one here lacks patriotism........I'll guarran damn tee that one sir.

Well said, my friend. Very well said!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:23 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitramjr
Ford developed their own hybrid system but it was similar enough to the Toyota HSD system that they licensed it from Toyota instead of fighting with them. IIRC Toyota got some DI diesel licenses in exchange.
I know Ford did a lot of design work on that system, which is why they only licensed the technology and built it themselves. When we're done with my wife's Escape, an Escape Hybrid is real high on the list of possible replacements. Just wish it had a little more room for the dogs!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:17 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Geez......give me a break. Fords are built all over the world....NOT just in the USA. And, Toyota, Nissan, Volkswagon, Hyundai, KIA, and Honda have factories here where they build cars and trucks daily. Give it a rest already. Some of the money stays here and some goes back to the corporations. Same way with Ford, GM, and Chrysler. Do you think that vehicle shoppers in Great Britain, Korea, Mexico, or anywhere else jump up and down screaming about patriotism just because someone they know bought a Ford, GM, or Chrysler product instead of a KIA, Citroen, or Fiat ? Do you think that the money paid for a Ford in Europe only stays in Europe? Of course it doesn't.....part of it comes back to Ford Corporate HERE in the good old US of A.

The patriotism argument is overused and abused all to often. Part of our patriotism is appreciating the freedom to buy whatever we want as citizens of a free country. Glad to hear of your Grandfather's service thndrroad70....make sure to thank him for me and let him know that we appreciate his service and sacrifice for our great country. At the same time, consider that although we don't necessarily share your opinion, we are proud Americans with the ability to make choices freely without having to explain them to anyone.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,085 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitramjr
40 mpg is pathetic for a Prius. I get upwards of 39-40 mpg in my Escapes. My wife drags the averages down by making a bunch of 1-2 mile trips taking kids to school and the like.

If I didn't need all the crap I have to carry to and from work I'd consider a Prius but would probably get another Focus.....I loved our 2001 Focus SE but just couldn't fit all my junk in it. If Ford had ever scaled down the Escape Hybrid powertrain into a Focus, they would have had a winner - 50-60 mpg.

Those are the highest numbers I've heard for the Escape Hybrid. I would assume it's because most of your driving is in "city type" traffic and you are conscious of your go pedal. The most I've been able to get out of a 4WD Escape Hybrid was 27+/-...mostly highway driving...200 mile trip.

I did take a Prius to my nieces wedding last year...just outside Syracuse...approximately a 620 mile round trip. I averaged 52+/- driving as I normally would...sustained highway driving 72/3 with cruise.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by BIGKEN
Those are the highest numbers I've heard for the Escape Hybrid. I would assume it's because most of your driving is in "city type" traffic and you are conscious of your go pedal.
I have the perfect commute for a hybrid - mix of semi-urban roads and some lower speed highway driving. My trips out to your part of the state bring the average down to. 65 on the Pike, especially in the cold weather, bring me down to about 33-34. I could do better but I like to get where I am going......

Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Go ahead, buy Japanese or German vehicles.........You can justify it under patriotism.
Did we not utterly crush the dictatorial regimes of these countries and free their people to pursue the fruits of freedom too?
The same generation of men as my grandfather who fought against Nazism and imperialism on the ground, seas and skies, also turned around and gave the defeated the means to rebuild their nations and take them to heights unheard of before the war and standards of living never seen before in those countries.
Germany and Japan are both staunch allies of the US and both nations have served admirably in the alliance. Both Japan and Germany have troops serving in the war against Islamic Jihadism in some manner, with German army units serving on the ground in combat in Afghanistan as part of the NATO alliance alongside US troops.
They can sell quality vehicles here because WE laid the foundations for their peaceful, prosperous economies and nations.
Like their products,... or not, buy them if you wish,........ or not........Its YOUR right as an American! WE were the victors! and generous in victory we were.
Their has been no world war in almost 70 years, because of the sacrifice AND the generosity of the WWII generation........Honor them by enjoying the legacy they left us,........A peaceful prosperous world, with unlimited choices for us as Americans.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Go ahead, buy Japanese or German vehicles.........You can justify it under patriotism.
Did we not utterly crush the dictatorial regimes of these countries and free their people to pursue the fruits of freedom too?
The same generation of men as my grandfather who fought against Nazism and imperialism on the ground, seas and skies, also turned around and gave the defeated the means to rebuild their nations and take them to heights unheard of before the war and standards of living never seen before in those countries.
Germany and Japan are both staunch allies of the US and both nations have served admirably in the alliance. Both Japan and Germany have troops serving in the war against Islamic Jihadism in some manner, with German army units serving on the ground in combat in Afghanistan as part of the NATO alliance alongside US troops.
They can sell quality vehicles here because WE laid the foundations for their peaceful, prosperous economies and nations.
Like their products,... or not, buy them if you wish,........ or not........Its YOUR right as an American! WE were the victors! and generous in victory we were.
Their has been no world war in almost 70 years, because of the sacrifice AND the generosity of the WWII generation........Honor them by enjoying the legacy they left us,........A peaceful prosperous world, with unlimited choices for us as Americans.
Dave, no one post in this thread has put things in such good prospective.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Back to the OP.....I saw that video the other day Rob.....couldn't help but laugh. AND, I couldn't help but thank the good lord that wasn't my cruiser.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Geez......give me a break. Fords are built all over the world....NOT just in the USA. And, Toyota, Nissan, Volkswagon, Hyundai, KIA, and Honda have factories here where they build cars and trucks daily. Give it a rest already. Some of the money stays here and some goes back to the corporations. Same way with Ford, GM, and Chrysler. Do you think that vehicle shoppers in Great Britain, Korea, Mexico, or anywhere else jump up and down screaming about patriotism just because someone they know bought a Ford, GM, or Chrysler product instead of a KIA, Citroen, or Fiat ? Do you think that the money paid for a Ford in Europe only stays in Europe? Of course it doesn't.....part of it comes back to Ford Corporate HERE in the good old US of A.

The patriotism argument is overused and abused all to often. Part of our patriotism is appreciating the freedom to buy whatever we want as citizens of a free country. Glad to hear of your Grandfather's service thndrroad70....make sure to thank him for me and let him know that we appreciate his service and sacrifice for our great country. At the same time, consider that although we don't necessarily share your opinion, we are proud Americans with the ability to make choices freely without having to explain them to anyone.
Great post.

Quick Reply: what kind of people are Prius owners?