6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tonneau Covers Part 2

Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
I've been using a Truxedo since 2003. I just move it from old to new truck. Still holding up just fine.

I hook up a Goosneck Horse trailer several times each week, So I need the bed open. But most of the week I tools in the back that I don't want to walk off at Home Depot or get wet and rust during storms. the roll up cover has worked great for that.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 AM
cford716
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
I do like the idea of being able to place stuff on top. I was amazed to see on the HD version they actually have ATVs on top! Not sure I am that daring, but it is good to know that it can handle the weight.

The problem I have is I would like to see them in person before I bought one. I have been looking for them (tonneaus) in parking lots and all I see is a lot of soft covers and the occassional fiberglass one.

Their website points to a dealer within 50 miles of me. I went to their website and all I found was ARC stuff! I will give them a call and check it out.

I don't mind unbolting unless it is a 30 minute job everytime. Also, where it bolts, would I be wearing out the truck rail if I take it on and off a bunch of times?
I know I had never seen one also, but I have not been disappointed. I would recommend if you can go see one just so you can be sure if it makes you feel more comfortable, it is a lot of money. I did speak to a local dealer who said they didn't deal much with them, but he said it is mainly due to the cost. He also commented on how one they installed didn't seem to sit flat when you looked at it from the side. I questioned Diamondback about this and they said that they did not adjust it properly. After installing mine I would have to agree because mine sits flat. Many people are looking for an inexpensive cover. My feeling is you get what you pay for, I don't think I will ever need another cover on this truck.

I don't think it's a 30 minute job. You can have the whole thing off in under 5 minutes. The only thing putting it back on is getting the center support bolted back in the same spot.( But I am sure you could mark it some how) I don't think it will wear the rails. The top that sits on your plastic rail cover has the rubber seals and the clamps are just the C-clamps that are used on other covers and hardtops.

Not to sway what you do, but if you decide to get one, would you mind using Promo Code of B9434U. I will get a referral and you will get a $50 mail in rebate. Again, not pushing this one way or the other, you need to get what is best for you. I don't get any cash out of this just points to use at Diamondback.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by cford716
Not to sway what you do, but if you decide to get one, would you mind using Promo Code of B9434U. I will get a referral and you will get a $50 mail in rebate. Again, not pushing this one way or the other, you need to get what is best for you. I don't get any cash out of this just points to use at Diamondback.
No problem. I will definitely be checking them out in person first before I buy. When you say expensive, are we talking fiberglass pricing? I can't find pricing on their website.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
No problem. I will definitely be checking them out in person first before I buy. When you say expensive, are we talking fiberglass pricing? I can't find pricing on their website.
I ordered the SE with Line-X coating ($100 extra I think) which was $1149 and comes with 4 cleats. I also got 4 extra cleats for $29, shipping was $100, no tax. Total was $1278. That was shipped UPS freight and I picked it up at the freight warehouse. (or any business address) I think it was $50 more shipping to go to home.

Just to compare TruckAddons.com was $1349 and a local shop $1650 installed. (Again, installation was not hard)

The A.R.E. hardtop I was looking at was in the $1500 range, so I guess no more than a fiberglass, maybe less.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

It's amazing what these guys are charging. Granted they had to design it, build it, market it and support it. But I only have only 1 first born son to give away . I will keep you posted on my search.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
cford716
Elder User
I put some pictures under my profile, haven't figured out how to put them here.

Ok, the pics are also under the Pics of your Rig thread page 9, someone else got them in there for me since I have yet to figure out how.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM
cleskybear
Freshman User
Extang Trifold

I too bought the Extang trifold, but have had a few issues with it. Before the issues, I must admit that it looks great, is easily manipulated, and keeps my bed virtually waterproof. Now the bad...the corner rubber pieces that rest on each post of the tailgate are made of a soft rubber. After only 2 weeks, the rubber had torn. I contacted the dealer and manufacturer, and both blew me off. After the third contact with the manufacturer with photos, they told me that the rubber design was flawed (too soft of a compond) and that they were not going to fix the issue, although they did send me a new set for free. I was able to figure out that the soft rubber tore when folding the cover all the way back and when unfolding it. The weight of the cover causes the pads to rub on the rough top, resulting in tearing. Their suggestion was to not let it rub. Considering the weight of the cover, not a realistic option. I have also had issues with the thin rubber tubing coming out of the hinges and sticking to the cover. They are worthless. Also, the cover is impossible to lock down if you have the bed extender in the stored/locked position. The cover locks are right above where the extender locks into place and there is not enough room for both. Other than that, I do like the cover. I just wish they would address these minor issues and $800.00 seems a little steep for a cover even when it works perfectly.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by cleskybear
I too bought the Extang trifold, but have had a few issues with it. Before the issues, I must admit that it looks great, is easily manipulated, and keeps my bed virtually waterproof. Now the bad...the corner rubber pieces that rest on each post of the tailgate are made of a soft rubber. After only 2 weeks, the rubber had torn. I contacted the dealer and manufacturer, and both blew me off. After the third contact with the manufacturer with photos, they told me that the rubber design was flawed (too soft of a compond) and that they were not going to fix the issue, although they did send me a new set for free. I was able to figure out that the soft rubber tore when folding the cover all the way back and when unfolding it. The weight of the cover causes the pads to rub on the rough top, resulting in tearing. Their suggestion was to not let it rub. Considering the weight of the cover, not a realistic option. I have also had issues with the thin rubber tubing coming out of the hinges and sticking to the cover. They are worthless. Also, the cover is impossible to lock down if you have the bed extender in the stored/locked position. The cover locks are right above where the extender locks into place and there is not enough room for both. Other than that, I do like the cover. I just wish they would address these minor issues and $800.00 seems a little steep for a cover even when it works perfectly.
Thanks for the information. And sorry to hear about the post sale support (or lack of). Knowing this helps. No one wants to buy a product and get lousy support.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I've looked at many of the suggestions here and in the thread I started.
Will be taking a serious look at the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite. Would like to see one in person.

I like the idea of being able to flip up the front for access to a tool box.
Don't think I would buy their overpriced version though.

http://www.foldacover.com/ContactUs/...1/Default.aspx

Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Another possibility

Originally Posted by porthole
I've looked at many of the suggestions here and in the thread I started.
Will be taking a serious look at the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite. Would like to see one in person.

I like the idea of being able to flip up the front for access to a tool box.
Don't think I would buy their overpriced version though.
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a possible contendor.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Join Bakflip on facebook and enter video contest to win $1000

Join the Bakflip community on facebook...and enter contest the "I Love my Flippin' Bakflip" video contest to win $1000.

BakFlip Tonneau Covers | Facebook

and if you aren't on facebook you can enter the contest here:

I Love My Flippin' Bakflip!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 AM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Enter the "I Love my Flippin' Bakflip" VIDEO CONTEST!

Enter the "I Love my Flippin' Bakflip" VIDEO CONTEST!

BakFlip Tonneau Covers | Facebook

and if you aren't on facebook you can enter the contest here:

I Love My Flippin' Bakflip!

Tell us your Bakflip STORY:

Show us your Bakflip! Show us your Truck!
Why is your Bakflip "Flippin' Awesome"?
What's the craziest thing you used your Bakflip for?
Has your Bakflip saved the day?
How do you use your Bakflip?
What if someone took your Bakflip away?
What's the coolest thing about your Bakflip?
Could live without your Flippin' Bakflip?
Why do you Flippin' Love Your Bakflip?

Attached Images    
Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 AM
RaiderAZ
Freshman User
I put a BakFlip on my 2011. Best cover I ever had, its keeps water out and acts as a protector for the back window.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

I have a Truxedo and don't like it.....accumulates water if it sits in the rain, only latches on one side at the tailgate so water leaks in there. Very poor quality.

I used to have a Roll and Lock, that is the way to go and what I am changing to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tonneau Covers Part 2