Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Temp. Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:30 PM
lens54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temp Sending Unit Needs Adapter

Jim
Thanks Jim i went for it and you are right it was not much to talk about. Anyway another issue, my brass fitting that came wtih my clust set of gauges, is too big for my threads where my old sender unit came out.

Can i just get a regular brass adapter to reduce it down? Does not appear to be tapered threads on teh temp sensor like oil and fuel are.

Len

Old 09-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Len, I don't know what to suggest. You could try an appropriate adapter. It will move the sensor further away from the coolant flow, but based upon another thread regarding custom gauges it should still work just fine. The lack of tapered threads (pipe thread) would concern me, but perhaps somebody with more experience in this area will chime in.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 PM
krooser
Elder User
Originally Posted by lens54
Jim
Thanks Jim i went for it and you are right it was not much to talk about. Anyway another issue, my brass fitting that came wtih my clust set of gauges, is too big for my threads where my old sender unit came out.

Can i just get a regular brass adapter to reduce it down? Does not appear to be tapered threads on teh temp sensor like oil and fuel are.

Len
That should be a pipe thread… I have two water temp gauges in front of me right now… both are pipe thread.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 AM
lens54
Freshman User
Tapered Threads

Krooser
There are TWO sections to what i have , the top smaller part IS tapered (the sensor) and the larger one that it screws into the top of.

Then it has a bottom section of threads that goes into the block. that is what does not fit on mine. That bottom section does not look tapered. Are you saying that it should be tapered?

I need an adapter for the current bottom section i have, or a completely different one, which would have to have that top smaller tapered female section. Just wondering if that is a standard auto parts store item. Do you think they might carry that if not where might i find locally you think?

As I read on the forums some guys talk about TWO temp sensors. I only see one on the drivers side on top of block. I have a 351w carbed, no computer stuff so I would only have ONE temp sensor right?

PS my temp sensor now appears to be mechanical. A much thicker wire than electrical it seems. And I cannot just pull the wire off the top of the sensor so assuming it is mechanical. It runs directly to my gauge which I am changing to electric gauges. All came with new sensors, this is the threaded part that does not fit mentioned above.

Appreciate your input.
Len

Old 09-07-2014, 01:15 PM
lens54
Freshman User
Are Temp Sensors Universal?

I looked all over today for an adapter for my new temp sensor since my new one that came with gauges does not fit (mine is 1/2" i think an di need 3/8").

Tried a couple of parts stores but they were clueless at the counter. Had the guy guess at a model and year car that my 351w came from (i dont know really) and landed on a 72 Mustang. Figuring before 973 they were still using mechanical temp senders (like the one i need to replace). My shot in the dark landed pretty close.

See pic here it looks like it will screw right in but my question is . Are all sensors the same? What makes the difference. If this one screws in, can i use it or are there different sending units with different temp measurements.

Anyone know?
Thanks
Len

Last edited by lens54; 09-07-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Forgot Pic
Old 09-07-2014, 01:59 PM
lens54
Freshman User

Sorry forgot the pic.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:23 PM
krooser
Elder User
Remember that a temp 'sensor' is used to send info to the ECM. A temp 'sending unit' provides info to the temp gauge…

Universal? I don't really know for sure but some brands may have different reisitance values which may make a difference. I've never messed with aftermarket electrical sending units or gauges as I prefer the old school mechanical types.

You will need to find the adaptor in the aftermarket gauge dept.… looking for an OEM one will be fruitless… better to just match one up from on-hand stock. Your local parts store should have what you need...

Old 09-07-2014, 05:03 PM
lens54
Freshman User
Temp Sender Unit

Krooser thanks for the quick reply. I dont have anything electronic in my truck so i meant to say temp SENDER sorry.

My thoughts are the same there has to be SOME kind of difference in them, resistance level, temp tolerance not sure but cannot find anything on the topic anywhere.

In my pic, the gauge on top is a new one i bought today from local part store trying to match one up. It will fit physically, but i dont know if it is different on the inside.

I got my gauge set at Speedway Motors and called them. They have 2 different types of sending units, Gm and Ford. Seems like i got the GM but they offered no option. It was just what came with the set i got.

I have to call them back tomorrow when a tech is there to ask about it. I would prefer to get the sending unit that they recommend , although i think it will end up being just like the one i bought today.

I appreciate your input , i will post back tomorrow.

Let me know what you think on that new sender i bought today in my pic on top.
Thanks
Len

Old 09-07-2014, 05:56 PM
krooser
Elder User
Krooser thanks for the quick reply. I dont have anything electronic in my truck so i meant to say temp SENDER sorry.

My thoughts are the same there has to be SOME kind of difference in them, resistance level, temp tolerance not sure but cannot find anything on the topic anywhere.

In my pic, the gauge on top is a new one i bought today from local part store trying to match one up. It will fit physically, but i dont know if it is different on the inside.

I got my gauge set at Speedway Motors and called them. They have 2 different types of sending units, Gm and Ford. Seems like i got the GM but they offered no option. It was just what came with the set i got.

I have to call them back tomorrow when a tech is there to ask about it. I would prefer to get the sending unit that they recommend , although i think it will end up being just like the one i bought today.

I appreciate your input , i will post back tomorrow.

Let me know what you think on that new sender i bought today in my pic on top.
Thanks
Len
The difference bewteen the GM and ford may be the threads… don't know but I'll look.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:27 PM
krooser
Elder User
The threads for the water temp sendor in the small block Chevy heads that I have are 1/2' NPT…. the threads in the Ford intake on my 460 are 3/8"….

Old 09-07-2014, 06:30 PM
lens54
Freshman User
Threads

That sounds right i need the 3/8 bit have the 1/2" . Question is where to go from here. I will call them tomorrow and report back. It sure would have saved me a lot of headache if they included the Ford one.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:36 PM
krooser
Elder User
That sounds right i need the 3/8 bit have the 1/2" . Question is where to go from here. I will call them tomorrow and report back. It sure would have saved me a lot of headache if they included the Ford one.
You should be able to find one locally…. parts store or hardware store.

Hear's a 350 Chevy head and the Ford adaptor I have…

Old 02-05-2015, 12:15 PM
John May III
New User
I replaced the thermostat. The sending unit. And I'm still having no heat or water temp movement. Only when the key is in the accessory position. Could the sensor be bad?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:19 PM
John May III
New User
So what your saying is that if I've replaced the sending unit and the gauge still isn't working it's the gauge itself? This past weekend I replaced the sending unit on my 4.9l i6 and the gauge has changed a little. Only when in accessory though. Still won't tell me the water temp anything above the cold line

Old 02-05-2015, 12:23 PM
John May III
New User
Originally Posted by subford
There is only one temp sender and it is for the gauge.
The Temp sensor is for the computer only.
They both check the temp of the coolant.
So. What your saying is that if I have already replaced the sending unit already then the gauge is bad? Because I've already swapped the sending unit brand new and I'm still getting nothing

Quick Reply: Water Temp. Gauge