Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Junior User

powerstroker02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
spindle bearing replacement

hey guys
I have noticed a knocking noise when im in 4x4, notice it it starting at about 20kmh, i am replacing all the u joints right now and have replaced the spherical bearing in the cardan joint. ill see if this will fix the problem, the slip yoke is fine, i was thinking about putting in the grease fitting mod but from a prior experience with a slip yoke siezing and destroying the rear end pinion bearing and transfercase bear im going to just take it apart and grease it every few kms. the big problem is though in trying to find the source of this knock/clunk i have grabbed the axle u joint by the knuckle and the driver side had about a 1/16 of play and the passenger side has almost 3/32 of play which im assuming isnt good. ive learned they are a one piece hub but i have got new spindle bearings to be installed, i am wondering what kind of seal there is between the hub and the axle, first time doing this so any info or tips would be great. thanx guys
Old 11-18-2010, 05:59 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Subscribing.

My BIL in Maine has a 2000 F-350 and when in 4WD, his makes a noise as well. He has replaced all kinds of stuff and still has the noise, but only when in 4WD.

Update: I just finished speaking with him and he has replaced the spindle bearing s on both sides only to be left with the same noise. His next option is a complete hub replacement.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Junior User

well thats not very good news haha, well im working on getting in the drive shaft tonight, the only other options i guess are the front gears and transfer case.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior User

khxor is starting off with a positive reputation.
To replace that bearing you have to take out the locking hub and the hub/bearing assembly. You don't need to pull the axle (unless your also doing u-joints or if the stub axle is damaged) so you don't have any seals to mess with. Check out the "how to replace your ball-joints" thread, it shows you how to tear it down. The noise is only when in 4x4?

1999 F-250 XLT, 4x4, 5-speed, 5.4L
Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Junior User

ok thats good news then, ill take the hub apart next week because i need the truck this weekend just incase something goes wrong taking things apart like they usually do for me. im hoping the stub axles will be ok, i got the new spindle bearings. i installed the rebuilt drive shaft and the noise is still there, its when you got load in 4x4, wont make it when coasting and cant really tell if the knocking is there during decceleration, only really notice it when on the throttle.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1994, 1999, 2002, 73, 99, bearing, f250, f350, ford, hub, joint, price, ranger, replacement, replacer, spindle, symptoms, truck