6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Slide in Campers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dad just received his 2011 F350 dually that he bought to get his weight on the proper side of the rating, he has a snowbird camper with one slide and he has weighed in at over 13000#'s with his old short box single wheel, which was almost 2000#'s over weight, now he will be a lot closer with the new truck. He had air bags on his truck but only because he was getting flashed for high beams from other drivers. These trucks are more stable with the heavy loads from the slide in campers if they are able to rest on the overload springs. When you crank the airbags right up to bring the truck to empty ride height you can make your truck very unstable.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
RV's are currently exempt from mandatory entrance into the weigh stations.
I f you think you are overweight I would not voluntarily go into a weigh station looking for answers. You may only get questions like "how are you gonna get your now captured overweight truck home"?

When I was coming back from Nashville to New Jersey last year we heard a few reports of campers being spot checked at the Ohio borders. If you were overweight you were turned around and refused entry.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
My dad just received his 2011 F350 dually that he bought to get his weight on the proper side of the rating, he has a snowbird camper with one slide and he has weighed in at over 13000#'s with his old short box single wheel, which was almost 2000#'s over weight, now he will be a lot closer with the new truck. He had air bags on his truck but only because he was getting flashed for high beams from other drivers. These trucks are more stable with the heavy loads from the slide in campers if they are able to rest on the overload springs. When you crank the airbags right up to bring the truck to empty ride height you can make your truck very unstable.
That's were Stable loads will help with the air bags. Although the 08 I had was more stable then my 02 was. My 2011 has Timbrens and they allow contact on the overloads but I get flashing from on coming traffic so back to air bags.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey I checked out that Lance 992 and it's one helluva camper. I honestly had no idea they were getting so fancy with the slide-in ones. Also extra props to Lance for their use of a 2011 6.7L in one of their TT pics (model 2285)

Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,158 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Helwig helper springs is the way to go, no air bags to leak & worry about, Gigger

Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other camper to consider is the Adventurer 950B - probably the most closely featured compairson to the Lance 992. Very similar campers - main difference is the 950B has a double bunk option to allow sleeping for 6 and the rear step bumper design may be the best in the business. It only has a single slide option but it is also a very viable option for these trucks.

To be honest, I can't decide between the two at the moment - almost splitting hairs for our family of 5.

Weights are about the same for both.

Here is Advernturer website info:

Adventurer Truck Camper Exterior Features - Manufacturing Truck Campers Since 1969

Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
I don't mean to rain on your parade but you will be GROSSLY overloaded with a Lance 992. Your limit with the SRW is a slide-in with a dry weight around 2500#. Maybe you should consider a smaller camper without the dual slides or even better... a 5er.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:56 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Rollerstud is correct. However, Super Springs makes Super Sway stops that bolt on so that the stock overload spring engages when it is appropriate.
SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers
They don't have 2011'a listed yet but hopefully soon.

Ditto on Fat_Tire - grossly overloaded.

Do NOT go to a state or DOT run truck stop. They are the law and if overloaded they are in a tough spot if they let you go and there is an accident on your way home. Use the fuel truck stops - only $10 bucks, unload and only $1 or $2 more for a re-weigh; get hooked and unhooked weights for less than $15. They will also weigh tandum axle trailers an axle as a time as a re-weigh.

How bad is bad? 450 when at max (not over on either axle but at max GVWR) is 1/2 inch from rear axle bumpers (bottoms out with a thud pretty easily) and the back of truck bed is 4.5 inches lower than when empty. This loading actually lifts about 600 pounds off the front axle and moves it to the rear. Air bags don't add to the weight rating (frame and brakes, sometimes but not in this case tires constain that) of the truck. Bags, adapters, compressor and tank do add about 100 pounds of weight but level up the appearance.

Forget what Ford says it can do, go to the scales and you realize that a 8600 "shipping weight" empty truck is right at 9800 with just the 2 persons normally traveling, full fuel, hitch and normal tools/stuff under/behind the seats.

That said, ABSOLUTELY it can pull it.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
My Lance 820 without slide shows a dry weight of 2100lbs on the sticker. Loaded ready to go it weights 4K honestly. I weighed it on Cat scales a few times by front axle only/rear axle only,full truck with camper/no camper.
What Lance doesn't tell you is AC is extra as well as other options and add ons as well as water,etc.
Go to RV.net and those guys will help guide you with honest figures for what your doing.
My SRW F350 handles it fine. Always did. Doesn't exceed rear or front axle ratings or tire rateings.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
I think a Fiver is a better idea, you can still tow a boat behind the fiver, why do you want a slide in so bad????

Old 11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GIGGER
I think a Fiver is a better idea, you can still tow a boat behind the fiver, why do you want a slide in so bad????
Isn't that considered a triple tow? In Canada I think the only place you can legally do that is Sakatchewan - no hills and no turns.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
In Canada we can tow behind a Fifth wheel but not behind a travel traler, the hitch has to be mounted to the frame on the fiver not the bumper (common sense) Gigger

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Originally Posted by GIGGER
There are alot of reasons why I don't want a fiver...I think they are really nice but its just more than I want to deal with size wise...by itself and when pulling my boat behind it..plus I haven't found a fiver yet that can handle pulling a boat of my size behind it.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
These are alot of answers to my questions guys!! I really like the extended overload snubbers...I most definately will get those.. Sounds to me that without a doubt I'll be legally overloaded but the truck can handle it but I probably won't be messed with....if I do get messed with I'll have to move weight around to the boat or go rent a truck quickly to get the weight out of it and leave the fuzz and reload..lol

Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
hey I checked out that Lance 992 and it's one helluva camper. I honestly had no idea they were getting so fancy with the slide-in ones. Also extra props to Lance for their use of a 2011 6.7L in one of their TT pics (model 2285)
Yeah I was highly suprised myself when I got to looking at them...after I visited a few dealers around colorado...I was sold on the Lance the second I stepped into it.

Originally Posted by rdenis
One other camper to consider is the Adventurer 950B - probably the most closely featured compairson to the Lance 992. Very similar campers - main difference is the 950B has a double bunk option to allow sleeping for 6 and the rear step bumper design may be the best in the business. It only has a single slide option but it is also a very viable option for these trucks.

To be honest, I can't decide between the two at the moment - almost splitting hairs for our family of 5.

Weights are about the same for both.

Here is Advernturer website info:

Adventurer Truck Camper Exterior Features - Manufacturing Truck Campers Since 1969
Your right they are highly comparable...almost identical...I suppose the things that have me sold on the Lance is the double slide for that size as I'm most concerned with room inside rather than how many people I can sleep...I MIGHT have one more couple with us and the Lance can do that....another selling point for me was how easy it was to winterize the camper (said in done in like 5 minutes), not sure if the adventurer has the optional sateline dish or not...none the less great comparison!! Thanks for the input!!.

Quick Reply: Slide in Campers