1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

CCV Idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
CCV Idea

Anyone tried using a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the Crank case though the CCV Dog house?

I cannot believe how much oil that stupid thing empties into my turbo.

I actually tore it apart last night, pretty neat. Anyways.

Using some tubing and hose, gonna make a catch can with a pitcock on it.
with that a bit down from the CCV Doghouse, which should stop any backups. I was going to pull a vacuum on it.
Though, Trying to think of something that would pull 5-10 psi vacuum.

Thoughts?

I'm putting a catch can on either way, I'm getting way to much oil in my turbo.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just add the catch can to remove the oil and use the air intake as the vacuum source? Use the CCV as intended, just add a T for an oil trap.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Well, if you go find me a t444e that has the CCV going into the air intake and we'll talk. haha.

Thats how I'm going to run it for now though Karl. Well thats the plan anyways.

Venting to atmo like a lot of people do creates the availability of backup in the hose to cause excessive crank case pressure.
A vacuum pulled on the system can improve performance as it does in gas engines.

In all honesty, it would almost be better to pull a vacuum and dump it back into the motor though the intake. when the pump pumps, it's going to be sucking gasses, should pump them someplace useful.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Well, if you go find me a t444e that has the CCV going into the air intake and we'll talk. haha.

Thats how I'm going to run it for now though Karl. Well thats the plan anyways.

Venting to atmo like a lot of people do creates the availability of backup in the hose to cause excessive crank case pressure.
A vacuum pulled on the system can improve performance as it does in gas engines.

In all honesty, it would almost be better to pull a vacuum and dump it back into the motor though the intake. when the pump pumps, it's going to be sucking gasses, should pump them someplace useful.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Not if you do it right. You do know that the T444E is vented straight to atmosphere, right?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
The stock 7.3l PSD CCV configuration has the doghouse connected to the intake.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM
73strokin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been planning on doing the ccv mod by venting to the atmostphere but was gonna use a catch can with a petcock, as you suggest, to catch any oil and prevent a drip from the vent line like some people state having. I'm not sure of the whole vacuum idea but it'd be interesting to see how it works out.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Stupid internet.

Apparently Mercedes does this already with their diesels.

Pierburg Diesel Vacuum Pump - Auto Parts Warehouse

Guess its a viable option, just have to research it more.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Not if you do it right. You do know that the T444E is vented straight to atmosphere, right?
Yeah, almost all big rigs are vented to atmo with a Steel tube designed to draw a vacuum as air passes by it.

It's not just a rubber hose dangling out the back of the truck.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MagKarl
The stock 7.3l PSD CCV configuration has the doghouse connected to the intake.
Yeah, the problem with the stock configuration that Ford came up with is that it sucks oil right into the intake.
Which is what gives us problems with our intake boots poping off, or falling apart.

I'm having issues with the oil making past my turbo and getting into my boost sensor.
So I'm idling with 50 psi of boost. $$

The steel wool inside, i think, is supposed to help hold the oil, but it only lasts a bit, and once it gets plugged with oil really good, it doesn't draw a vacuum on the system very well anymore. Not that it ever did in the first place, So you end up sucking oil and not much else into the intake.

Our trucks shouldn't have any smoke coming out the dipstick tube because of blow by. Blow by is normal, but that stuff should have no problem venting itself out.
It's just a good sign that the CCV is plugged up. I clean mine about every 2 months, and it stops the blow by out the dipstick for about 100 miles.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
If you have that much blow by, you have bigger problems that you need to fix.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:04 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
If you have that much blow by, you have bigger problems that you need to fix.
X2 if there is smoke coming out your dipstick tube when the ccv is hooked up stock into the Intake then there is a problem.

Ford put the CCV into the Intake because there is a vacuum there this is what equalizes the CC pressure without it you build too much pressure which blows seals and creates oil leaks the gases in the CC also contaminate the oil.

Last edited by WALJON; 11-17-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Had my cranky pants on when I posted my bad
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Wow, if you guys believe that blow by isn't normal on our motors, then you better go read some more.

The Stock CCV setup is a failure. Go read about it. It only works under higher air flow.

If you even read what I said, you'd notice that I said after cleaning the doghouse it works properly for about 100 miles.

But all of us here in the forum know that the CCV sucks oil into the turbo.
Pretty soon you have an oil sucker and no vacuum.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Originally Posted by Talyn
Wow, if you guys believe that blow by isn't normal on our motors, then you better go read some more.

The Stock CCV setup is a failure. Go read about it. It only works under higher air flow.

If you even read what I said, you'd notice that I said after cleaning the doghouse it works properly for about 100 miles.

But all of us here in the forum know that the CCV sucks oil into the turbo.
Pretty soon you have an oil sucker and no vacuum.
Be careful. You can't believe everything you read on the internet.

There are guys with huge post counts that will try to convince you that they know it all and tell you that the Ford/International engineers were idiots. They will sometimes make claims like the vacuum on the CC only works under certain operating conditions, and that when it works it somehow sucks oil, not air/vapor, and that it stops working within 100 miles.

Common sense must prevail.

Seriously, have you considered running a compression test?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
powerstroke8994
Senior User
Blowby is normal but when using the orrifice adpater spec blowby is only 7inh2o as per navistar service manual. 444s use te road draft tube as did most medium and heavy duty until now. Just by a new breather and run a hose down the side the engine itl be alright. Do check your the spec on it though as your engine may be worn out.

Quick Reply: CCV Idea