6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Most of the tests done..Gm beating Ford

Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM
jstange2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I still wouldn't drive a gm for several personal reasons. Ford just released this package and gm has been tuning there setup for 10 years. I still will not own a gm.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 PM
RedneckTrucker
Junior User
I read the article in Diesel Power and GM was not a clear winner - the GM had the most power (now no longer true), best fuel economy (more on that later) and best rear suspension. The 250 was the best daily driver and frankly has the best interior around. It now also has the best power in class. When details were asked about the fuel economy the truth came out. The 250 loaded fuel economy was within .3mpg of the GM and while the gap on unloaded was bigger (2.5mpg) the next month they admitted that the Ford used .09 gal of DEF while the GM used .462 gal during the same test. No idea what amount of road miles were involved, but that difference is significant when calculating the cost per mile.

At the end of the day we are all lucky SOBs. We live in a time when diesel technology and power is at a peak before governement emmissions regulations cripple the industry or price these kinds of trucks out of the reach of nearly all of us. GM / Ford / Dodge - all have strengths and weaknesses, but at the end of the day when you look at the total package, I think we would all agree the SD is the best package out there.

IMHO

Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My only experience is that the '05 Silverado Duramax/allison dually 3500 we had was good for 40K miles before it started eating front tires due to the front suspension being worn out and every time we replaced the parts (out of warranty) it only lasted about the same as a set of tires.

My '08 F250 towed the same trailers and loads as the '05 3500 dually, and it outperformed the chevy in every way, especially stability, which does not make sense going to a SRW from a DRW. The F250 is just heavier and more balanced, more stable, and lasts longer.

Did GM make the '11 Silverado that much better? I don't know but since my '08 experience, I won't ever find out. The SD is just perfect. The 6.4 and the 5R tranny was great, the 6.7 and the 6R tranny is even better. I'm fine with what I have.

In the '05 chevy we had, the Duramax and Allison were fine. Did a good job with no problems. I have said before, I won't "hate" on the dmax but the powerstroke's do feel better to me. Must be the truck.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM
ketchup
Junior User
Yes Ford is terrible!

So terrible they have lost so much ground on the market.....oh wait a minute!
(hope this post correctly)
http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=858

Last edited by glruff; 11-17-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...anybody see 430/900 on the horizon????

Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Don't worry about it - I got a buddy - has a ranch - fairly large.. He can afford whatever he wants & is interested in solid vehicles, solid motors/trannys /etc..

Tows & hauls feed/equipment everyday - ranch roads & state highways - probably 50-60k a year on on pickups - ranch is not contiguous..Beats the heck out of them..

He drives chevy gasser, he has hired hands in a f-250 flatbed 4x4- 5.4, a v-10 350 flatbed 6x6, and thinks they are great - tough trucks... he is young enough to read all the tests/ research - but likes the fords .. but he likes the ride & feel of his Chevy.. except now he is looking to buy a second truck - he usually has 2 because they tend to break alot in his punishing environment.. he is gonna maybe buy a dodge --

This guy is money minded enough where he wouldn't waste money - so I take it that they all have their strong points...

By the way - I drove a 67 chevy - until it was wrecked in '75 - been in Fords ever since - & I ain't openminded like my buddy.. I LIKE FORDS!

Media Tests make no difference.. I think the 6.7 "looks like" a great engine, I got the 6.2 I think it has performed well & so far is trouble free..

I am also the guy that had a 97 7.3 LEMON (sounds like the only one EVER) that I made Ford buy back at 66k & threatened to switch to Chevy.. but although I still an allergic to diesel I never left the Ford machine.. JUst My Opinion!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
if 11 mph was the true test there is no way it was a fair test, I could see maybe 3-4 mph, maybe. but the difference had to be a difference in gearing, if one truck is able to make more power in a certain gear it might be able to get to the next gear in a high enough RPM to hold that next gear.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 PM
tpcgregsheh
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't ever trust GM. They just got bailed out by the government and their financial situation is bad, which means they probably use cheap everything to make their trucks. where do you think those trucks are gonna be in 5 years?? probably a junk yard somewhere.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
So why does this really bother anyone?

Reviews and tests have consistently favored the Duramax HD trucks, and have ever since the engine came out. It's a very strong engine pinned to a very smooth riding and great handling chassis. This is courtesy of the way the have always built them with the IFS and other features that sacrifice durability for a smooth ride.

The new 2011 with it's 6,000 lb front GAWR may be a different animal, but Silverados of the past always had front end issues. This is one of the big reasons we all drive Fords.

So even though Chevy has always test driven better for magazines and reviewers the overwhelming majority of HD buyers purchase Fords instead of Chevies. We KNOW the Ford is a better built truck, and we also know that testing a brand-new truck isn't going to reveal any kind of long-term durability trend.

So I'd say that the tests I've seen look to be excellent tests and demonstrate well the strength of each powertrain. It doesn't pretend to measure how well the truck will measure up in the long term. So take it for what it is, which is a great test that shows NOTHING for long-term durability.

Let them win. We still have the better trucks unless the 2011 Silverados prove to be more durable than the ones of years past. And that will take a LONG time.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM
solaratomic
Senior User
Chevys are fine if your don't mind replacing EXPENSIVE PCMs, Climate Control Modules, and various other electronics. Chevrolet still doesn't know how to build an electrical system that will hold up. Oh, and I forgot about CV joints and front hubs...ha!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM
tpcgregsheh
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
So why does this really bother anyone?

Reviews and tests have consistently favored the Duramax HD trucks, and have ever since the engine came out. It's a very strong engine pinned to a very smooth riding and great handling chassis. This is courtesy of the way the have always built them with the IFS and other features that sacrifice durability for a smooth ride.

The new 2011 with it's 6,000 lb front GAWR may be a different animal, but Silverados of the past always had front end issues. This is one of the big reasons we all drive Fords.

So even though Chevy has always test driven better for magazines and reviewers the overwhelming majority of HD buyers purchase Fords instead of Chevies. We KNOW the Ford is a better built truck, and we also know that testing a brand-new truck isn't going to reveal any kind of long-term durability trend.

So I'd say that the tests I've seen look to be excellent tests and demonstrate well the strength of each powertrain. It doesn't pretend to measure how well the truck will measure up in the long term. So take it for what it is, which is a great test that shows NOTHING for long-term durability.

Let them win. We still have the better trucks unless the 2011 Silverados prove to be more durable than the ones of years past. And that will take a LONG time.
Exactly my point. GM puts beds on CARS, we all want a ford TRUCK

Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Champ198
Elder User
There is more to evaluating a vehicle than how fast it will race up a mountain with 24,000lbs. Congrats to Chevy. The build a fine truck on paper and racing up a mountain. I don't see hardly any Chevy or GMC HD trucks in the campgrounds I frequent, so maybe this will help jumpstart some sales. I hope so, they need to keep people working. I believe Ford is going full blast at the KY Truck plant with no let up in sight.

Before any of the tests, before any of the mountain races, I had planned to order one of the new GMC 6.6 Dmax 3500 4x4 11,500 GVWR SRW. It was down to the Ford F350 and the 2011 GMC 3500 HD. The dealer told me there was going to be very little change to the interior on the GMC. I went to their lot and looked at a 2010 HD truck on the lot. After sitting in the interior of the 2011 F250 that I demo'd, it took 2 minutes to decide I was not going to ride in that truck for the next five years. The interior looked like it came out of an old Buick Lesabre. All of these new trucks, including Ford, have tons of plastic, but the GMC plastic looked like it was very cheap.

Their styling is 10 years behind, and they wish they had the tailgate man-step idea. After all, when we're not racing up mountains, we're riding inside these beasts for hours at a time. Comfort is king. The 6.7 has plenty of power for me. If I ever need to race up a mountain in the Rockies, I'm trading to a GMC for sure!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I absolutely agree there is more to a truck than racing up a hill. The whole package has to work. I too went to look at the GM products. Knew they were struggling and figured a good deal was there for the having. What I saw was a nice truck, but not one that I wanted to own.