6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

injector contribution ballance fault on two reman injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:02 PM
jlo84truck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector contribution ballance fault on two reman injectors

im having some problems with my truck, ive been diagnoising it for a while and cant figure what the problem is. so here's my problems and what ive done.

i started in april having injector contribution fault on cylinder number 6 . so I pulled the injector out and cleaned the spool valve with sand paper and also changed out the orings/ seals on all the injectors on the drivers side of the motor. then reinstalled the injectors back in the same cylinder they came out of. the truck started to runing alot better for about 4-5 days then the injector 6 code came back up, i would reset it and about 4-5 days later i would reset it again. I then decided after a while that it was time to replace the injector with new or reman injectors. so I shoped around on the internet to find new injectors for my truck, i couldnt find anything but remans. so I ordered up a reman from a company that sells alliant power remains. September is when I installed the reman injector, i ran the truck for a couple of hours then the injector code P0278 came back up, so i reset it again. wait for about 30 min to 1 hr then it would come back up. So i called the company about the injector throwing codes every thirty minutes to and hour after the truck running. I was told to do some diagnostics on the truck like the bubble test, maybe bent push rod and check the wires to the injector for chafing. did that nothing changed. so I called the company back up and told him i believe the injector is the problem, he was hesitant to send me another one. so i told him i would do one more thing before he sends me another injector to rule out cylinder #6. I would swap the injector to #4 cylinder and see if it follows the injector, if it does its the injector right. I swaped it from #6 to #4 cylinder. started the truck and it threw P0272 code, cleared it constantly for about a week did a bubble test and it still throws a code. I called the company and got another reman in the mail and sent back my core and the old reman. after about a couple of days the code returns P0272 on the second reman that installed. did a bubble test and turns out fine. called the company up and was told that im the only customer that has had problems with his injectors and didnt want to send me another one in the mail. he said that he would send me one more and that would be the last one he could send or get one from ford and he would refund my price on the injector when I sent it back to him (I wouldn't have a core to turn in to ford if i did this).
so I bought a AutoEnginuity scanner and started to do some more diagnosis on the truck before any more injector swapping. AE pickes up the DTC P0272. did the KOER test and i dont believe its finishing the test all the way. do I need to press the break when the test starts it doesnt really give me any commands to do while its testing? also did the contribution ballance test and i dont get any spikes within about three to five minutes i let it run. did the buzz test and nothing shows up. i check the main screen and P0272 comes back up. so what am I doing wrong?

I have the blue spring upgrade, fuel filter has only 8000 miles on it, oil was changed out about 1000 mi ago rotella t-6. ficm 47.5 volts. icp sensor year and ahalf ago, arp head studs, egr block off, coolant filter, fs-2500 filter, power hungry ficm tunes/ ecm roll back.

2003 6.0 powerstroke 126,000 miles
f250 4x4 crew cab short bead gray, lariat.
any help would be appriciated thanks, Justin

Old 12-01-2013, 02:40 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will only use OEM re-manufactured injectors as they are the only reliable ones that i know of. You need to have your dynamic fuel pressure tested and it needs to be above 45 PSI at wide open throttle. I would also do the bubble test to see if you are getting gases of combustion into the fuel system, to bubble test remove the upper fuel filter cap and filter and with them removed crank the engine over as shown in this video,
If you do have bubbles you need to determine which side they are coming from by removing the fuel lines to each head at the fuel filter housing and placing a balloon over the end of the line and cranking the engine over to see which head has the issue, once you have narrowed the suspect head down remove all but one of the glow plugs on that side and crank the engine over to see if it inflates the balloon, continue the test by reinstalling the rest of the glow plugs one at a time until you get the cylinder that inflates the balloon, if you find a cylinder that inflates the balloon before you have tested the other cylinders remove that glow plug and continue the test until you have tested all 4 cylinders on that side.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM
jlo84truck
Senior User
I have done the bubble test a couple of times. I haven't done a fuel pressure test yet. I will look for a fuel pressure guage and give that a try.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
IMO since you moved the injector and the DTC follows its got to be injector

IDK any way around that

I would Install a FORD Injector and try that and tell the guy you want your money back He Already has the Core right?? You shouldn't have to send another core in

Old 12-01-2013, 09:41 PM
jlo84truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
IMO since you moved the injector and the DTC follows its got to be injector

IDK any way around that

I would Install a FORD Injector and try that and tell the guy you want your money back He Already has the Core right?? You shouldn't have to send another core in
I would like to install a ford injector but I would have to eat the core charge from ford because I already got my core refund back from the guy $100.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Im still Lost well not really he is trying to screw ya

SO the Company also wants the injector back to get a refund???If so then they owe you a Core

Guess I am saying you have as many injectors as you started with now

The problem is this the guy is refunding your Money but you have to send the injector back so at the End of the Day he is 1 core ahead

SO if you send him "HIS" injector back he needs to return your original injector core

The way he wants to do it isn't right your getting screwed and he gets a extra core at your cost

Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 PM
jlo84truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Im still Lost well not really he is trying to screw ya

SO the Company also wants the injector back to get a refund???If so then they owe you a Core

Guess I am saying you have as many injectors as you started with now

The problem is this the guy is refunding your Money but you have to send the injector back so at the End of the Day he is 1 core ahead

SO if you send him "HIS" injector back he needs to return your original injector core

The way he wants to do it isn't right your getting screwed and he gets a extra core at your cost
He refunded my core charge back to me and told me if I bought one from ford and sent him his reman back he would refund me the total cost of the injector. The only thing is that I'll have to eat some of the core charge from ford b/c I won't have an injector to give to them. He already told me that he sent my core off to get rebuilt, so I can't get it back. I just want my truck fixed. Is it possible to get two bad remans? Knowing that it follows the reman injector when I swap cylinders, makes me point to the bad injector, Right. I'm gonna try to get ahold of a fuel pressure test gauge and see if that shows anything.