Notices
View Poll Results: Should the F-150 Raptor get the Terrain Management system?
Yes
58.82%
No
41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Should the F-150 SVT Raptor get Terrain Management?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:07 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Should the F-150 SVT Raptor get Terrain Management?

There is no question that the Raptor is good off road. But do you think Ford’s Terrain Management system would complement or even enhance the Raptor 4x4’s already impressive off road credentials?

For those who might not know about the upcoming Terrain Management system, it will be available on the all-new 2011 Ford Explorer 4x4, and may become available on the Expedition 4x4 in the next few model years.

Note that the 2011 Explorer will not have low range gearing, so Terrain Management system will only be able to help the Explorer to a certain extent. The Raptor and Expedition still have low range gearing, so the Terrain Management system should, if nothing else, help further their off road capability.

To see Terrain Management in action click the links:
YouTube - Next Generation Ford Explorer: Terrain Management System (TMS)
YouTube - First Ride: 2011 Ford Explorer testing in Dubai
YouTube - 2011 Ford Explorer Testing in Dubai

What does it do, how does it work, and why should I care ?

Terrain Management has a control dial that the driver can turn to activate different modes. The new 2011 Explorer will have four modes: General/Normal Driving mode, Grass/Gravel/Snow mode, Mud & Ruts mode and Sand mode.

Each mode controls, adjusts and tailors the vehicle’s 4x4 system to adapt the vehicle to the chosen terrain.

Below are some, but not all of the things Terrain Management is capable of doing.

General/Normal Driving mode – For use on or off road. Helps optimize fuel efficiency and emissions. Engine, transmission, throttle response, traction control and electronic stability control systems are set for all-terrain use.

Grass/Gravel/Snow mode – For use on any slippery surface. The engine is not allowed to over rev, transmission starts in 2nd gear and gear shifts are quickened, throttle response is dampened and traction control sensitivity is increased.

Mud & Ruts mode – For use in muddy or rutted terrain. The engine is allowed to rev, transmission starts in 1st gear but shifts to 2nd gear quickly, traction control allows for controlled slip at the wheels before engaging.

Sand mode – For use in sandy terrain. The engine is allowed to rev to its limit, transmission gear shifts are held off for long as possible, throttle response is recalibrated for better torque management, traction control is desensitized to stop the vehicle from loosing speed and the electronic stability control is recalibrated to allow for more yaw movement.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 AM
KaiserM715
Senior User
I voted no. It adds complexity to an already complex vehicle (in fact - I LOVE that you can turn off all of the nannies). The Raptor is a more capable vehicle than the Explorer in any of those "modes". In the Raptor, you can control gears 1-3 and revving is controlled by modulating your right foot - the two major functions of terrain management.

I will make a generalization here as well. I would tend to think that the average Raptor buyer has more off-road experience than the average Explorer buyer (esp now that they don't have a real transfer case). Terrain management is a compensator for that lack of experience (not that the dial will ever be turned in 95%+ of the Explorers equipped with it).

Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
transferred
Senior User
It's not really "Fords" this is the technology Ford stole when they owned Land Rover...this would make the Raptor far better in the really rough stuff, Land Rover's are all but unstoppable.

To the poster above, the tech usurps ones driving "skills," remember common sense is all that separates a good off-roader from a terrible one and to have things like downhill descent control (not sure if the Ford version has this but the RangeRover does and it's mighty) are something that would be welcomed by all people who rely on getting through tough conditions rather than just seeking them out for kicks

Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 AM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
You are correct in that Ford’s Terrain Management system is the same as Land Rover’s Terrain Response system. But Ford did not "steal" that technology.

The general consensus is that Ford helped to fund the research & development of Land Rover’s Terrain Response system. Ford obtained Land Rover in 2000, thus allowing several years of funding and time to develop and fine tune the system.

Land Rover introduced the Terrain Response system on the 2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 (known here in the U.S. as the 2005 Land Rover LR3).

Just for a added bit of trivia: Ford, while paying Land Rover’s bills, also gave Land Rover its Roll Stability Control (RSC) system (Ford has over 80 patents on the RSC system) as well as upgraded trailer electrics systems. Or in other words, the Land Rover Range Rover uses the trailer brake control wiring adapter from the Ford Expedition.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 AM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Originally Posted by KaiserM715
I voted no. It adds complexity to an already complex vehicle (in fact - I LOVE that you can turn off all of the nannies).
Terrain Management is not an electronic nanny made to hold back or restrict the vehicle’s performance. It’s programmed to encourage it, to make it better. In some "modes" Terrain Management/Terrain Response actually turns off or desensitizes some the vehicle’s systems that might hinder it while off road.

The Raptor already has an "off road button" next to the auxiliary switch board, that when depressed, recalibrates a few of the Raptors power-train systems; same principle as Terrain Management.

Basically, all the Terrain Management system adds is more software; software which would make better use of the Raptors hardware for off road use (the Raptor’s engine, transmission, transfer case, traction control, locking rear differential, electronic stability control and so on)

Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
KaiserM715
Senior User
Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
The Raptor already has an "off road button" next to the auxiliary switch board, that when depressed, recalibrates a few of the Raptors power-train systems; same principle as Terrain Management.
I have pressed it many times. I am quite familiar with its location and its effects

Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
Basically, all the Terrain Management system adds is more software; software which would make better use of the Raptors hardware for off road use (the Raptor’s engine, transmission, transfer case, traction control, locking rear differential, electronic stability control and so on)
I fully understand how it works. It would not be possible for terrain management to have any effect on the rear locker or transfer case. For the locker, software could only turn it off at a certain speed threshold, as it is currently configured - the locker does not modulate. For the transfer case, software could only prevent you from shifting into low range at too high of a speed, as it is currently configured.

Again, it comes down to driver experience. I would NOT want this on my Raptor.

Why are you campaigning for it?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Originally Posted by KaiserM715
Why are you campaigning for it?
Campaigning for it? Nah! I’m offering constructive argument for Terrain Management. I can easily makes statements why not to include the system on the Raptor.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM
nobearsyet
Tuned
If it had the terrain management system I'd probably buy one. I do a good bit of wheeling and think the Raptor is almost where it needs to be in the off road department. Granted, I refuse to sacrifice on road capability in order to gain better off road capability (to an extent, 37's and ARB air lockers front and rear may be giving up something on road) and think the terrain management system may be just the right adjustment system to not have to compromise, although an E-locker or ARB up front would great...

Old 11-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Nick_Good
Freshman User
I vote no. What I do think the Raptor needs is a manual transmission and a manual transfer case. Heck i would love it if they would put a manual tranny and manual t-case in the regular f-150's. I like being able to choose my gear in the snow and downshift without using the brakes as much, plus i love being able to lock the 4x4 in instead of just flipping a switch.
-nick

Old 11-27-2010, 06:35 PM
nobearsyet
Tuned
Manual transmission would be a definite plus.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:45 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
2011 Raptors i think will have the new select shift trans strategies, which should have a manual mode, i think , just like the SD's. Not the manual you guys were thinking but puts controls back to a driver of the vehicle if its equipped as such.