1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air suspension troubleshooting question

Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
MrSandman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air suspension troubleshooting question

I have a 2000 EB 2x4 and the air suspension has been acting a little strange lately. Whenever the car is sitting parked on a steep driveway, the back end will almost always drop completely. However, when we're on a flat surface, it will only drop part of the time. There are many times where the car will sit overnight and i'll come out in the morning and its fine. Sometimes it will go several days sitting parked just fine. Then there are some days when i'm driving on the highway on a relatively level road and i'll notice it drop or i'll hear the compressor running. I don't think its a leak, otherwise it would be dropping all of the time, right? Every time i fire up the car and close all the doors (even if i'm on a very sloped driveway as mentioned above) the compressor will kick on and the back end seems to level off just fine. So, does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? It is a bad sensor somewhere? Or is it possible that there is a leak even though it isn't consistently low? Or something else? Note that this doesn't drop often. Maybe like 1 out of 10 trips it will do this. I am well aware of the conversion option, however, that isn't something i want to do at this time, especially if its just a bad sensor or something. Any advice?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
It sounds like your describing a textbook air spring leak to me. Early in the stages of a leak, it may only leak 1 night and be fine the rest of the week. Also, a leak will usually be worse the colder it is. Replacing a pair of the air springs on that vehicle would cost $218 incl. shipping: Parts built for the long haul....not just the warranty period!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You da Man Eddie, glad to see you here again.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
MrSandman
New User
Another follow up question. On my way out this morning the car was sitting low again. I fired up the car and let the suspension level off. About halfway up the compressor stopped and the car went back down again. Once the car went down about 25% of the way the compressor kicked back on again until the car went completely up. Then it held there for about 5 minutes until i just decided it was time to leave. The car will often do that. The suspension acts like it has a mind of its own. If it was a leak, then wouldn't it just refuse to level off while the compressor runs? Every time the compressor runs, the car lifts up. There has never been a time where the compressor runs and it doesn't level off. So with this in mind do you still think its a leak? Or maybe its a bad sensor or relay? Is there a solenoid that releases the air? Maybe that is faulty?

I took it to a shop this past weekend and they couldn't find any problems. They did observe that the car would sit very low, but every time they fired it up it would level off. Then they put it up on the lift and checked for leaks with soapy solution and couldn't find anything.

Here is an idea. Under the dash there is that suspension switch. Does that switch prevent the car from adjusting itself? If i flip it off, assuming there is no leak, the car should just stay level right? If it still drops then its a leak somewhere.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
Here is an idea. Under the dash there is that suspension switch. Does that switch prevent the car from adjusting itself? If i flip it off, assuming there is no leak, the car should just stay level right? If it still drops then its a leak somewhere.
If it didn't have a leak, it wouldn't need to come on....other than the initial time at startup.

Each air spring has its own solenoid. This solenoid acts as a gate, to let air in & out. These solenoids are normally closed, so if you turn the suspension switch off, your disabling not only the solenoids....but the module(brain) also.

Try this: Get in and start the vehicle and let the suspension compressor run until its done. Then turn off the vehicle, get out and close the door. -VERY IMPORTANT-, wait 3 minutes, then turn off the suspension switch under the dash. Then measure the height on all 4 corners and write it down. -VERY IMPORTANT- DRIVE the vehicle for up to 3 days(most likely you'll answer your question allot sooner). If the vehicle goes down, IT HAS A LEAK...PERIOD.

You can also go to my website for instructions how to leak test as well as other troubleshooting and repairs. Lincoln Air Suspension Parts from the REAL Air Suspension Experts

Old 12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
All of the above but, check the connector/union over the steering shaft in the engine compartment. mine broke and the seems to be a lot of them leaking lately. Ford part #2L1Z-5B322-AA.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM
orleec
Senior User
I have a brand new spare union and a tested working sensor. Send me a pm if interested and It'll be $49 shipped.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
If the vehicle will pump back up after a restart, the problem is not the line union.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
gun4hire
New User
I have done a search and this is the closest thread on the subject I could find. I guess what I would like to know about this system is what exactly is "normal"?

For example, my '03 Navigator will air up at startup just fine. The compressor runs a bit then shuts off. If I park the truck and get out - the air will hold just fine. Once I close the door - it will immediately deflate the front suspension. It seems to me that it would be better to hold the pressure. Having it air up/down constantly seems like it would wear out parts faster.

I suppose if the compressor ran quieter (I just ordered the bushing kit) it wouldn't be as much of a nuisance...but still I wonder how much longer parts would last if the system stayed aired up...say 5-10 mins. Think about all those convenience store/gas stops!

If what I am reporting is normal, is there any way to reprogram the system?

Thanks...and sorry if this has been covered before.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Does the front deflate completely or just an inch or so. If it goes all the way down I would suspect bad shock(s), a bad solenoid valve or a tiny hole in the air line. You may need to replace the front shocks

Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM
gun4hire
New User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
Does the front deflate completely or just an inch or so. If it goes all the way down I would suspect bad shock(s), a bad solenoid valve or a tiny hole in the air line. You may need to replace the front shocks
Sorry, I dont come on this site as often as I should... lol

It deflates about an inch or so...

I bought the bushings and found that the originals showed no sign of being worn out. I swapped them anyway. I also found that by slightly bending the bracket it sits in, I created more clearance to the side of the pump where it appeared to make contact. Also there was a little 'barb' (for lack of a better word) on the bottom-facing portion of the pump that seemed like it was making contact as well. All these clearances are sooo tight for something that is being allowed to vibrate.

Anyway, the results are that its MUCH quieter now. It still deflates when the door is closed and will stop deflating if I reopen the door. Its gotta be a programmed setting.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
fordno1
Senior User
If you have your owners manual it will explain how the air suspension works. It will depend if you are in 4WD, door opened, speed, etc..... There are a few variables that go into the height. My manual explains it. I will try to copy it and post what it says later if you want.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Just give it some time to relearn it's protocol, it might start working like it should. If it bottoms out there is another problem to identify and address.