Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Senior User

XbigXredX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rear window struts

Hi all,

Anyone know how to get the struts off the rear window of a 2002 excursion?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Junior User

ford_model'a' is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes. You can use a small screwdriver to pry the spring like clip at each end of the gas spring. As you lift or pry the clip out and away from the ball joint connection you will be able to pull the strut off the ball end on the hatch or door frame. Both ends are similar.
Just a note about these struts if you have a 4X4 and you would like the hatch to open a little higher, say 4 or 5 inches you can order the struts meant for the two wheel drive Excursion from Ford.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
Be careful when you remove them. Hold the window up with one hand while you remove the strut one at a time. When you pull one strut out, the window will fall down on your head if you don't support it. One strut is not strong enough to support it.

It's best to have some other person hold it for you. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Amen on it's heavy !!!!

I used a 2x4 for support when I replaced mine....
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior User

TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.
Replaced mine on the 4X4 wiht the longer ones (for the 2WD version) last Fridayl. Much better. That glas is HEAVY to be careful.

Also I've bee having "door open" indicator issues with the liftgate switch whic his in the latch on the Driver side. I solved the probme wiht a bit of WD-40 sprayed on the latch from inside and then adjusting the latch bar on the truck. Makes for a solid fit now and no more "Door Open" light!!!

If your gets flackey, ajdust the latch first as the rubber gaskets taek a set "crushed" in the colder weather.

D
Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Senior User

As always everyone thanks for all the help!

I have to ask, because people are calling me "ridiculous" when I offer my opinion as to why there would be different struts for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel version.

So why on G-d's green earth did they make different rear window struts for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel versions?

Oh in case anyone here would like to call me ridiculous, I said "They likely made two versions as the 2 wheel drive sits lower than the 4 wheel drive which necessitates having the rear hatch go up higher or it would hit the average person in the head even open." Seemed 100% reasonable to me.... but others say "RIDICULOUS!"
Old 11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior User

Dan Reinbold is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Dan Reinbold is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XbigXredX View Post
As always everyone thanks for all the help!

I have to ask, because people are calling me "ridiculous" when I offer my opinion as to why there would be different struts for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel version.

So why on G-d's green earth did they make different rear window struts for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel versions?

Oh in case anyone here would like to call me ridiculous, I said "They likely made two versions as the 2 wheel drive sits lower than the 4 wheel drive which necessitates having the rear hatch go up higher or it would hit the average person in the head even open." Seemed 100% reasonable to me.... but others say "RIDICULOUS!"
As for the two different sizes, the height of the vehicle 2wd vs. 4wd is the reason I was told and the only reason I can think of.

2004 Excursion Limited Ultimate 4x4, V-10, 3.73, BF Goodrich T/A KO 305/70/R16, Rear Hellwig.
Bought July 2010 with 89,000.

Mods to come: Rancho XL9000, '08+ Telescoping Tow Mirrors, 5-Star, Rear rear bench mod.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.
4wd struts might be shorter so the open liftgate doesn't
hit the celing in a typical 7' garage - or be too tall for the standard
soccer mom to reach.

Just speculating..
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Senior User

TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.
The 4WD Strong Arms are shorter to keep the "open height" (when measured from the ground) close to the same as when the 2WD liftgate is opened.

My wife is only 5' 2" and since i changed the Strong Arms out for the lonre ones on myu 4WD, she has to tippy-toe or jump to reach the handle when the lift-gate is open now.

But at leat it does not hit me in the head now!!!!!

D
Old 11-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Senior User

So I am correct that the 2wd drive Excursion sits lower to the ground, or that the 4 wheel drive sits higher, whichever way you want to look at it.

I can't find any specifications that indicate this, but I kind of presumed it would make sense.

And making them open higher sounds good to me as I constantly hit my head on them now.

To the guys that did the change, any idea how much higher it is now? 3-4 inches or is it more?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all
Here's a video Mike did over here on an Excursion tailgate. It'll give you an idea on how the glass ones pop off too.

We carry the Ford Excursion tailgate struts
Hope this helps,
Tony

YouTube - 1AAuto.com Install Replace Tailgate Lift Support Strut Ford Expedition 1997-02

CLICK HERE ^^^TO SEARCH PARTS FOR YOUR FORD TRUCK
Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Senior User

AWESOME!

That's all I can say, that video couldn't show it any simpler!

Just AWESOME!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Semper Fi MOFO!

Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
greythorn3
wow great video! that guy in it looks crazy! i need to get the 2wd ones!

anyone know the partnumber for the 2wd versions?

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition. Semper Fi
Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Posting Guru

fordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud of
As stated earlier, once I replaced mine with the two wheel drive versions, my wife couldn't reach the hatch anymore, she has to stand on the hitch to reach it.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
You can fix that by adding a simple leather strap that hangs down from the liftgate, or buy one from another vehicle ...

Your wife will love you again !
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2000, 2wd, 4wd, adjust, excursion, ford, gas, glass, hatch, lift, rear, shock, struts, support, window