Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cams - I am so confused

75 F250 460 A/T 2WD
Edelbrock Performer 460
Edelbrock 1411 750 cfm
Ported heads
Hedman headers

Truck is used for hauling and driving for fun on the street. No racing, no off road, no show.

I really don't get the whole specs of cams - lift, duration...and how they should be selected.

Can someone point me in the right direction so I understand what I the different grinds mean?

And, what cams are best suited for my set up?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is overly simplified, but look at it this way... picture a building with a door on the front. DURATION is how LONG the door is open, LIFT is how WIDE the door opens. Now to move alot of people in at once, you can open the door for a long time, open it wider or do both. But by opening the door, you are letting heat out of the building, so you now have to decide do you want to rapidly open it lots of times for extended times (lots of duration and hi rpms) or open it fewer times but wider (higher lift and lower rpms) The objective is to open it as long (duration) as needed and as wide (lift) as needed to allow as many people (fuel/air mix) in at that point in time (ideal operating rpm).

If you are still with me, when you look at cams keep in mind more duration equals more horsepower at a higher rpm. More lift equals more torque at a lower rpm. The last thing in cams is timing events, the lower the numbers the sooner the cam will start building power, the later the numbers, the more it is a hi-rpm cam.

Personally, I would suggest either a Xtreme 4x4 X4262H http://www.compperformancegroupstore..._Code=FHFTCX4X

Like I said, that is a very simple explanation to try and help. As for choosing one, I would suggest calling Comp Cams and talking with them about your setup (compression, intake, carb, exhaust, etc) and what you want to use to truck for and seeing what grind they suggest.

One last thing, when in doubt on a cam, always choose a size smaller than you were thinking, the motor may sound great going thumpity-thumpity-thumpity, but if it doesnt make power until 5000rpm and you spend all day at rock crawling and grunting around in 4wd, you are not going to be happy with it.

Last edited by L. Ward; 11-15-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: add link
Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Myfreeford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L. Ward
This is overly simplified, but look at it this way... picture a building with a door on the front. DURATION is how LONG the door is open, LIFT is how WIDE the door opens. Now to move alot of people in at once, you can open the door for a long time, open it wider or do both. But by opening the door, you are letting heat out of the building, so you now have to decide do you want to rapidly open it lots of times for extended times (lots of duration and hi rpms) or open it fewer times but wider (higher lift and lower rpms) The objective is to open it as long (duration) as needed and as wide (lift) as needed to allow as many people (fuel/air mix) in at that point in time (ideal operating rpm).

If you are still with me, when you look at cams keep in mind more duration equals more horsepower at a higher rpm. More lift equals more torque at a lower rpm. The last thing in cams is timing events, the lower the numbers the sooner the cam will start building power, the later the numbers, the more it is a hi-rpm cam.

Personally, I would suggest either a Xtreme 4x4 X4262H COMP Cams: Xtreme 4x4™, X4262H <BR> Good Mid-Range, Heavy Towing, Noticeable Idle

Like I said, that is a very simple explanation to try and help. As for choosing one, I would suggest calling Comp Cams and talking with them about your setup (compression, intake, carb, exhaust, etc) and what you want to use to truck for and seeing what grind they suggest.

One last thing, when in doubt on a cam, always choose a size smaller than you were thinking, the motor may sound great going thumpity-thumpity-thumpity, but if it doesnt make power until 5000rpm and you spend all day at rock crawling and grunting around in 4wd, you are not going to be happy with it.

THAT was a fantastic explanation and exactly what I needed to grasp a basic idea of what lift and duration are referring to.

I will contact Comp Cams and see what they would recommend.

I really appreciate the info.