6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

EZ Down tailgate assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 PM
White Knight 2011
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
How'd you do?
Still don't have it installed. It looks like a simple wall anchor type mechanism but I can't the center hex bolt to move after it comes in contact with the nut and therefore can't spread the anchor.

Still VERY open for help and advise.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by robroy90
I just did get this response from DeeZee support this morning:

"We have run into a quality and fitment issue with the 2011 SuperDuty trucks. There is a change to the vehicle that interferes with the mounting that you have encountered along with the shock not performing properly. We are working on this with our supplier but do not have a fix. You may return the product for a refund if it is not working right. Thank you."

I sent a follow-up response back asking if they anticipate releasing an application revised for our 2011 trucks. I also asked about the return process, as the piece that gets installed into the tailgate seems to be there permanently. I just hope the revision that they come up with will utilize the existing tailgate insert.

At this point, I am not sure if I want to keep mine or not. I bought from Amazon, so the return would be hassle-free, but I am not sure how easily I can remove the existing hardware, etc.

Is anyone out there aware of another manufacturer who makes a similar product with a different design?

Thanks,

-Rob
Rob...

I was conversing with them a couple weeks ago about is not clearing the bumper and lowering fast and they ended up sending me another ez down. But it was the same one that I had on my truck.... I thought WT.... Can you please PM me the email they sent you. Would like to send it to them and ask why they didn't offer to refund my money. Sending me another one that still don't work right is not doing me any good...

Thanks
Bob

Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by White Knight 2011
Still don't have it installed. It looks like a simple wall anchor type mechanism but I can't the center hex bolt to move after it comes in contact with the nut and therefore can't spread the anchor.

Still VERY open for help and advise.
Are you saying you can't get enough force on the nut to press on the washer thereby spreading the anchor? On mine, I just held the allen wrench in the left hand while turning the bolt with a 7/16's wrench in the right hand. It took a bit of force to start expanding the anchor but once the initial friction is overcome, the bolt turns rather easily. I did find that you can really crank down on the anchor to set it firmly in the tailgate hole. It installed fine for me with the obvious exception of having to remove the bumper and the shock not providing as much resistance as I expected.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is mine. It is the later version that I did have to remove the rubber bumper to install. I covered the 2 holes with a piece of the soft side of velcro.

and here is a video of the gate opening:

Notice my steel cable is not taught on this side. It is on the other side but it was like that before I added the EZDown. I even swapped it out with another one at the Ford dealer and the same thing. It seems to be about a quarter inch longer than the right side. Not sure why, but it bugs me.

Anyone else's like this?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Mine is exactly like that. The tailgate falls at the same speed and the passenger side cable is slightly shorter than the driver side. Nice video!

Even with the limited effect on the drop, my wife loves this. Every time she opened the tailgate before she was afraid she could not hold it. This is a big improvement.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
houstonmr
Senior User
Mine works exactly the same way. Nice touch to cover the two holes. I would like mine to fall a little slower, but it is better than letting it slam since I was used to the Tundra's easy-down tailgate. I would not return mine, but I am considering trying adding one to the passenger side and see if it slows it down. My only concern is that removing both bumpers may cause the tailgate to eventually rattle.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by houstonmr
Mine works exactly the same way. Nice touch to cover the two holes. I would like mine to fall a little slower, but it is better than letting it slam since I was used to the Tundra's easy-down tailgate. I would not return mine, but I am considering trying adding one to the passenger side and see if it slows it down. My only concern is that removing both bumpers may cause the tailgate to eventually rattle.
That's my take too. I wouldn't want to remove the second bumper for the same reason. I'll hang on to this version until a better shock comes out.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:28 PM
geodude
Senior User
Well here I am, looking for intel on this doohickey and happy to find lots of feedback. I installed it tonight and ended up taking it off, thinking wow, it doesn't clear that rubber bumper and sure doesn't slow the fall of the tailgate very much.

Welp, guess I'll remove that bumper tomorrow and toss it back on and try again. It may help, we'll see, but so far I'm disappointed in this one.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
That's my take too. I wouldn't want to remove the second bumper for the same reason. I'll hang on to this version until a better shock comes out.
Mine works the same way. I went back and forth with EZ Down customer service about a month ago as why I had to remove the rubber stop to get the tailgate to close, as the instructions said nothing about doing this. They actually told me they leased an 2011 f250 and installed the new design shock and didn't need to remove the stop. I also complained about how fast the tailgate came down. They then had me email the model number of the shock to them. Didn't hear anything for about a week and sent another email. They replied and told me to send my mailing address and they were going to send me another kit. So just figured they checked the model # and I had the wrong shock. Got the new kit about a week later and it was the exact same one I had on my tuck. So I email them back today based on what they told Robroy90 above and asked why they sent me a replacement when they knew it woudn't fit... They replied with this.... Almost funny...

Dear Bob
My purchasing department thought the new shocks would work, but we have confirmation that our supplier changed the design on all of our EZ Downs and none work properly anymore. We do not have any that will work at this time. We are looking at making these ourselves, but that is many months out. The only thing I can suggest is to contact the company you bought your EZ Down from for a FULL refund.

Guess I will just keep the one that's on the truck and sell the other one on EBAY.. At least I'll break even....

Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 PM
houstonmr
Senior User
Finding the old EZ-Down shock

Has anyone tried to find that shorter, fatter shock that was on the older ones? I bet they sourced it from some manufacturer that supplies the same one for other applications.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Like no ez downs work anymore? Chevy ones too? The one installed on my truck is not the greatest thing in the world, but it does the job.

On a side note, who would of thought this thread would be 8 pages long?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine seems to work somewhat but is a lot faster than the one I saw on a buddy's truck that made me want one. Maybe I'll just complain to DEEZEE and get a replacement spare...

Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.
Mine seems to work somewhat but is a lot faster than the one I saw on a buddy's truck that made me want one. Maybe I'll just complain to DEEZEE and get a replacement spare...
Yea, mee too!! but really, install the second one on the passenger side. If 1 is good, isnt 2 better? I dont think it will rattle, but I'll let one of you guys try it.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by lexustbs
Like no ez downs work anymore? Chevy ones too? The one installed on my truck is not the greatest thing in the world, but it does the job.

On a side note, who would of thought this thread would be 8 pages long?
Nothing else is going wrong with our Fords...so we got lot's of time to pick on EZ Down.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Installed mine yesterday. Removed the rubber bumper as well. Tailgate comes down faster than I want but its better than dropping the gate.

Quick Reply: EZ Down tailgate assist