1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dash smoothing...amateur style!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:38 AM
jburroughs12
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash smoothing...amateur style!

So, when I bought my truck, there were two holes in the dash from who knows what. I'm guessing one of the previous owners had some gauges in there. Also, there was an open hole where the throttle **** was, and the choke **** was there, but not hooked up to the carb. So, enter some bondo and my serious lack of skills+some frosty beverages. Here's the carnage...
Step one, sand down the area to be bondo'd. Check.

Step two, locate some backing material. Double check.

Step three, install said backing material. Man, I'm a professional!

Step four, slab on some bondo....maybe I'm not the professional I originally thought...

Step five, while waiting for the bondo to dry, enjoy a frosty beverage. I'm pretty good at this step.

Step six, get some high quality, triple density, double tough, insanely expensive over coat.

I got a few coats of paint on, but it got too dark to take any decent pictures.
So, the final astounding product will be on display for all you good people...tomorrow.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Everything looks ok so far............

Old 11-14-2010, 03:13 AM
low54
Elder User
In your steps to repair, I didn't see you had sanded the bondo area...did you?...

Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
I'm pretty good at step 5. In fact I've been so good at it that I haven't actually achieved anything on the truck in quite some time.

Looks good so far
Bobby

Old 11-14-2010, 11:00 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing new in case you think so. Old school custom work, like 1955 or older.Common practice in bondo body shops even today. Best to learn it the correct way. But you do it your way ,most people won't know the difference accept a few of us.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................Edit.........the choice of brew may be different than the 50s,thats all.
.................................................. .................................................. ...................................

Last edited by jim collins; 11-14-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,441 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Who wants to start the over/under on how long it'll take to crack out? Polyester body filler is designed to smooth surface imperfections up to 1/8", not fill 2" holes. Good luck with your project.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:25 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Who wants to start the over/under on how long it'll take to crack out? Polyester body filler is designed to smooth surface imperfections up to 1/8", not fill 2" holes. Good luck with your project.
Nothing to lose, tho. The alternative requires a grand or more in TIG machine, a lot of skill, and might take a week to get done "right", after which you'd still end up slathering a coat of bondo over it. Time will tell...

Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
.................................................. .................................................. ........
I would hope it would be final , but my experiance has been shortly after I get the painting done and eveything back in place, two little circles will appear. Been there and done that more than once. I know he said "amateur" and I understand, but if it's worth doing, do it right. Good luck to him and his project .

Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 PM
jburroughs12
Junior User
I did sand it down. And as of right now, I have nothing but time. If it cracks, then I learn and make it right. If it doesn't, not a bad way to spend 20 bucks and a few hours. Either way, it is still an improvement over having two large holes in the dash. The most effective way to learn how not to do something is to screw it up.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Patches can be welded in with a arc welder,takes practice. Or the way I did before I got a arc welder and later a wire feed welder. Torch and soft rod or real old amateur way ' wire coat hangers ,hay bailing wire, L.O.L. Then lead work , which I never did get very good with, a lot ended up on the floor.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Steps to repair

Looks like Bobby is on the 5 step program !

Not a big fan of bondo, but ya gotta go with what you got, nice job

Old 11-14-2010, 02:35 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

I missed that you were a new user and my comments were not a very good welcome. So ,WELCOME to F.T.E. and you just do what you want your way. Sometimes we forget some of these things you have to learn and it takes time.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:11 PM
KidShalene
Senior User
He did say Amautre Style.....

That 5th step is Pro stuff all the way though

Old 11-14-2010, 04:33 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by tip49
Looks like Bobby is on the 5 step program !

Not a big fan of bondo, but ya gotta go with what you got, nice job
Step 1. Admitting you have a thirst

Step 2. Taking stock of your environment (i.e. does the frosty beverage dispenser contain an adequate amount of frosty beverages)

Step 3. take a fearless moral inventory of your thirst and compare with stock of frosty beverages on hand

Step 4. Procure the adequate amount of frosty beverages for your thirst and that of your friends who might stop by

Step 5. Enjoy said frosty beverages (repeat as necessary)

Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 PM
okie pete
Senior User
Tig? Use a torch and baling wire .

Quick Reply: Dash smoothing...amateur style!