Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1994 F-250 Diesel - to buy or to not buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:26 PM
oldblue89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 F-250 Diesel - to buy or to not buy

The truck has the 7.3 liter idi non turbo diesel and the ZF 5 speed transmission. It is a 4x4 but the 4 wheel drive is not working (transfer case problem?). The truck hasn't been run in six years but before the sitting I was told it was running/driving fine. I'm not sure what it would take to get running. I was told it has under 100k miles. Rust isn't bad and it's a single cab long bed. The truck is just a cab and chassis. Other than the bed, the truck is complete. I don't know much about ford diesels, is this one worth picking up for about $1000? Even if this meant buying it without hearing it run?

Thanks

Old 11-13-2010, 08:44 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as far as the transfer case, could be a broken chain. you can get a used transfer case for about 150 or so. seeing its a 94, its digital odometer so you can know for sure the miles. getting them running shouldnt be bad. crank her over. if it sounds good your in ok condition. ya, 1k sounds pretty fair to me. where are you located?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
if your good with a wrench and the thing is solid,im not seeing a down side,even if it needs an engine and t-case(or more lol) for 1k.
the 4wd zf5 alone is worth that id think(never looked 'em up.)

edit.
oh sorry
to get it started,your going to want to bring a new fuel filter with you.
i would also bring a can of clean diesel fuel and a fuel line.not sure id frig around with 6 yr old diesel.you may need to clean the tanks.that's why i wouldn't risk running that old fuel.could be (and likely is) full of algae.
you need two good batteries too,and at least a block heater.hope it has good glow plugs,but who knows.
you'll probably end up starting it after ownership.it's going to take a few bucks for some good bats/glow plugs probably,etc/etc.
but for the $.i really don't see losing even if ya need to drop in another motor..so.with that.....good luck.
trucks left sitting like this (6 years) typically needs lots of TLC.
it won;t be anywhere close to the purchase price by the time your done (just to get it safe and reliable again),if that's what your thinking.
for the price and the miles,not sure id worry about cavitation testing either(meaning if it showed 0 results of SCA's.it wouldn't alter my decision in this case.because as mentioned,personally i think its priced as if it didn't have an engine anyway.)
but you should know:
http://www.oilburners.net/articles/cavitationartic.html

Old 11-13-2010, 11:26 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
i have lots of 1356 parts so let me know! haha. yeah 1000 is a good deal. got any pics of the truck? if you were to buy a running one of the same year and mileage you could expect 4-5000 or more so even if you had to dump a rebuilt or used engine in, its still a deal.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:49 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
there are over 50 BW 1356 transfer cases listed on http://car-part.com/ in the virginia, priced between $300 and $750, and another 75 without prices

Old 11-20-2010, 04:05 PM
oldblue89
Senior User
It looks like this thing is going to take way more work than I thought to get going. It is an ex plow truck (it still has all the plow stuff less the pump and plow blade). The cap is off of the gas tank, and the truck is pretty rusty underneath, it's all still usable and no rot through, but still very rusty, including the motor. The cab also has a little bit of rust in the corners but it's not too bad, it's still a solid truck. There was also quite a bit of oil that was leaking from the oil pan area on this thing (I guess it's dry rotted seals? don't know). The brakes are also shot on it, pedal goes all the way to the floor and I heard fluid coming out of a line somewhere. It's a pretty major project there is no doubt about that. The thing I really liked is that it has 4.10 limited slip front and rear axles (front is a twin I beam). Considering these extra things is it still worth it at a grand even if I part it out?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:33 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
oh yeah.no doubt its going to be a lot of work.
there's a reason many '94 4x4's all up and running/turn key go for over 5k.
you need to plan on just having a foundation to work from when the price is only 1k.

if we could all drive 4wd rigs,that only cost 1k total,and didn't take lots of time wrenching on,we'd all be doing it.

you need to plan on replacing lots of stuff on a 4wd truck that only sells for 1k.
unless it was a semi gift or something from a family member/close friend or some other bizarre reason.

i payed like 3300 and a few hundred to get it home.
a couple grand latter,and i have a reliable rig again.a few more grand to transform it into a truck for uses of course too.

long hours and lots of $ invested to bring a rig back to "really nice" condition again.not just "working".
it beats payments.

no one rides for free.
you either;
buy cheap,and spend lots of time fixing them up,
or you buy higher so you don't need to fix (hopefully) as much,
or you buy new(er) and make payments (been there done that.you still need repairs on top of them payments lol.)

but im thinking,if your asking.....this rig is not for you.
save up a few more grand,and buy a finished 4wd idi truck if your not prepared to spend a few grand on this one.cus she's gunna need it.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 PM
poocher pup
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what all you said i don't think this is the right truck for you. having said that in my area you couldn't get $500 for it since it doesn't run and drive.